Aerie, the PC, and tiefling love

Eyreequel

For the romance to work, the only character you need to have in your party is Haer'Dalis (and the main character, arguably, but I don't think anyone was in doubt about that...).

If you do have Aerie in the party, however, I have tried to make sure that the situation will play out in a way that's interesting and in character for everybody involved. Players who like Aerie and want her to stay in the party will probably get the most out of this, and players who absolutely hate Aerie and want her to suffer will possibly be a little bit disappointed, but there should be something there for everyone.

You do of course "miss a part" of the mod by not having her in the party, but only in the way you "miss" the input of any character you choose not to take with you – they all have some kind of romance-specific interaction, and you can't possibly have all of them in the same party.

And here comes... Kanny!

they all have some kind of romance-specific interaction, and you can't possibly have all of them in the same party.

Why not? I'm sure I'm not the only PC, who takes everybody, enjoy their babbling and then they suddenly die to give place for others. Except for Anomen (I mean this jerk's company, of course)... and Aerie, naturally... Awww... t'is soooo sweet! Killing this whining, annoying, irritating, disGUSTing wench! Slowly. Ahhh. For this pleasure I'd even spare Imoen if needed... :D

Darn, what can they know about a hot-blood tiefling? A bard? A most wonderful being in all the Realms and not only there? Sheesh. EVEN if he WERE not sure in ... "that", he'll never say it. Will ANY man say? Hollow conversation. Hollow existense... oh, daddy-Bhaal! (Kanny becomes impatient ;) )

Spins, yeah? ;) Then I prefer the Offensive one! And when he uses the Defensive, if she tried to slap him, thinking that he is asleep, I'd have to cut away her hand... :) (what am I saying? She will not live long enough to see him in any Spin. ;) )

I personally can't understand what Dalis would see in Aerie. He strikes me as confident and flamboyant and adventurous, among other things (good things, of course!) and I can't for the life of me see why he would not be totally put off by Aerie. I would think that maybe Anomen would like her as Anomen wants a woman to take care of (I know her alignment bothers him, but otherwise...) but Dalis? Be serious! What am I missing, folks? Why would Dalis like her? Or is this just Bioware having nothing better to do with them at the time???

I personally can't understand what Dalis would see in Aerie. He strikes me as confident and flamboyant and adventurous, among other things (good things, of course!) and I can't for the life of me see why he would not be totally put off by Aerie. I would think that maybe Anomen would like her as Anomen wants a woman to take care of (I know her alignment bothers him, but otherwise...) but Dalis? Be serious! What am I missing, folks? Why would Dalis like her? Or is this just Bioware having nothing better to do with them at the time???

Her main mask is tender, sweet and innocent - very appealing to many. She is also extremely adept in manipulating - big strong CHARNAME and little shy Aerie works wonders, especially with "you are my only reason to hold on" thingy. Note how accurately she deals with Jaheira and Viconia, striking where it hurts most. She also believes in it wholeheartedly, which helps a lot to keep it up.

I admire her.

Aerie is a maiden fair with tender eyes, voice and hands. She is shy, but curious about what the wide world has to offer - adventures, love, the games the adults play. She is maturing quickly, and ready for her first love, craves it.

Her beauty is not witless either. She is also extremely sincere, with her every emotion on the surface.

Her shyness and openness are not equivalent to weakness.

She has the woman's strength, the strength that led her to abandon safety to heal a child, to survive endless abuse without losing the goodness in her heart, to fight for her uncle and to join a group of adventurers afterwards.

If you accept the old classification of man-son, man-man, man-father and woman-daughter, woman-woman and woman-mother, both Haer'Dalis and Aerie will occupy the same slot: he is a man-son and she is a woman-dauther. Their romance is a sweet childish play.

Men of Haer'Dalis' type - chaotic, inconstant, bright in their youth- do often fall for purity and innocence incarnate. They fall madly in love with all kinds, providing they can imagine in their heads that they are not boring, but in the end they are prone to marry motherly women that could hold them in hand and end their adventures, or they remain unattached elderly bravos.

*Hands over a bloody blonde head with many footprints* Here ya go!

Yay thankies! :O

Muhahaha Now what to do with it...... :)

I know runs off with it and throws it in the deepest reaches of Hell were it will be forever doomed to watch Barney reruns.

Yeah, I understand why men may find Aerie's sweetness and innocense attractive - at first. But like many things, TOO much of a good thing gets old really, really fast. I see Aerie as one of those women who get a man, maybe even for several years, then one day she has been murdered in bed and 'conveniently' no-one knows or has seen a thing.

Aerie has an intelligence of 16 and a wisdom of 16. Her behavior in-game falls in line with that. She is NOT weak, and she is brilliant, wise, and beautiful. If she were weak, she would stay with Haer'Dalis, but she kicks him to the curb. Somehow I think some people see "Aerie is blonde and young" and think of some kind of different stereotype, but they do not see Aerie for who she really is. Anyone who tried to murder Aerie would find him/herself with a solar's sword in his/her gut, while a meteor headed for his/her head.

All of this is except during the idiotic fighting-over-the-PC talks, which are written extraordinarily poorly for both Aerie and Jaheira. Good thing I always play a female PC and don't have to see that garbage.

Also, the idea that you have to be a certain sort of woman to "hold" a man, and another sort can't? How very 1950s. Aerie doesn't WANT to "hold" Haer'Dalis once she really gets to know him. This happens quite often in adult relationships.

Heh! I'm a child of the 60's and I certainly can see that the 50's had its merits. I suppose if a man would love a clingy whiny woman forever, I guess she could hold him. Yes, I'm certain little Aerie has her strengths, but I think her Bioware-made numbers don't really dig into her personality nor were they intended to at the time since the creators didn't know what sort of mods would come up later. I'm sure I'm probably twice as old as many in these forums, so maybe my age has something to do with my comments, which are only meant in the style of fun, come off as trying to rub people the wrong way. I do not intend that. I am only having fun as some others are (such as the ones running away with Aerie's little heart to a corner of Hell). I personally can't stand her, and others are free to love her. I just don't see Dalis as being able to love her for long. But I do see some traits in a person as crippling to a long-term relationship. If that is 50's, then bless the 50's! I'm old enough to appreciate the good and bad of that decade in retrospect and especially the 60's which I was growing up in. I just want to play this game and have fun with it, not take every little comment and nitpick it. I didn't intend to insult anyone. I just look forward to seeing the little stammerer for once. This mod will actually cause me to keep Aerie this time, which is meant as a good thing!

Hey, Kanny! Can I have a piece of her heart? (Thinking of Janis Joplin...) By the way, I recall that after a certain event, someone has absolutely no trouble in killing Aerie and no-one in the party or the inn says a thing about it...

Some traits in some people make it impossible for them to have a long-term relationship with some other people. Haer'Dalis is emotionally, intellectually, and probably spiritually incompatible with a long-term relationship with anyone. I fear I won't be able to believe in any Haer'Dalis romance in which he stays with the PC to live happily ever after with a white picket fence, 2.5 kids, a dog, a cat, and two gerbils. Haer'Dalis is not someone who thinks commitment to a long term relationship is even possible, let alone desirable. He loves the constant romantic chaos of loving and leaving. He can't love anyone for long. A Haer'Dalis who stayed would be a Haer'Dalis who changed even more fundamentally than Viconia's shift from evil to neutral, and it's something I for one would not want to see.

As for Aerie, she is not clingy or whiny. Note that Aerie leaves the PC in BG2 while still loving him, under certain circumstances. She doesn't beg HD to change for her and stay, or say she'll change for him; she tells him to take a hike. I really don't get where this idea of her being "clingy" comes from.

Also, if you had your limbs chopped off, I think you'd probably need a little reassurance from your mate. Even the most gorgeous, confident, and perfect of us need a little reassurance sometimes :).

Finally... plenty of hugely obnoxious people have people who love them for no reason anyone else can see. Even if Aerie were "clingy" and "whiny", which she's not, that would be no reason for a man (or woman, it is no longer the 50s thank the gods) not to cherish and love her forever. Sometimes wonderful people are horribly alone and horrible people don't have time for all their dates. Human nature's fun :O.

As for Aerie, she is not clingy or whiny. Note that Aerie leaves the PC in BG2 while still loving him, under certain circumstances. She doesn't beg HD to change for her and stay, or say she'll change for him; she tells him to take a hike. I really don't get where this idea of her being "clingy" comes from.

Ditto. I don't know how to nod strongly enough to that.

I think Aerie turned into the favorite 'chewing toy' for so many females who played BG2 because they equate "I hate Aerie" to "I *myself* am a strong independent modern woman". What they miss, is that Aerie is the strong and independent woman who voices, faces and overcomes her fears. Successfully.

So, they end up bashing the concept of the 'weak woman who gets all the men, and does not deserve it.' It's an ancient fear, an ancient jelousy. (Shrugs) It could have been funny, but...

But for the fact that I, for one, am squirmish, and don't like to think that people are capable to entertain such dark thoughts over such small matters as high-pitched voice, or match-making. Because, as a matter of fact, the ones that get power turn those thoughts into deeds.

I've finished the Feast for Crows yesterday. I shivered through Cersei's chapters, because it was a chilling account of egoism and whishing everyone who irritated and annoyed dead in the most horrible way. And rendering them dead. In the most horrible way. I leave it to anyone to read and discover if the power to exercise spite and turn annoyances into torture and death warrants brings satisfaction.

Quote -As for Aerie, she is not clingy or whiny. Note that Aerie leaves the PC in BG2 while still loving him, under certain circumstances. She doesn't beg HD to change for her and stay, or say she'll change for him; she tells him to take a hike. I really don't get where this idea of her being "clingy" comes from. End quote -

Ohh! Interesting! I played several games with them both and I NEVER had that happen. Their talks just eventually fizzled out and nothing more ever happened. I wish I could have seen that. I wonder why I never got that? It sounds interesting. I still reserve my right to hate Aerie as other people can love her, but I would have liked to see that storyline play out.

Ohh! Interesting! I played several games with them both and I NEVER had that happen. Their talks just eventually fizzled out and nothing more ever happened. I wish I could have seen that. I wonder why I never got that? It sounds interesting. I still reserve my right to hate Aerie as other people can love her, but I would have liked to see that storyline play out.

Try to install the Banter Accelerator. (You need to download Kelsey or Banter packs for that, but you do not need to actually install these components, only BA itself.)

If you want just to read these dialogues(and many more), download this file: "BG2: SoA & ToB NPC Interactions Guide by Dave Milward"

from http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_tips.php

Archived