NPCs trys to banter and then CTD

Guest Folmango

Guest Folmango

Hi!

Im currently playing BG1 as a part of the Big world project and have some weird problems when NPCs inside my group start to banter with each other. For example, when I walked through the cross-way area Montaron says somethin and when I click to continue the game crashed to desktop. Same with Khalid a little bit later.

Then I've downloaded this fix for version 1.4. Know the banter didn't continue, though the game didn't crashed. So then I've played onward and everything was ok. But now, in Nashkell, the problem with the Lake poet inside of the dragon-tavern start again.

I don't know what to do. Maybe this has something to do with Imoen? My current party is: Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Garrick and Shar-Teel. Hopefully someone can help. If it's necessary I can post my WeiDu log too.

You might as well post your weidu.log, but I'll warn you right now that Big World installations are exceedingly tricky to troubleshoot.

Since the Big World installation is based off erebusant's installation, you might want to do a search for issues he has encountered, and the solutions he has found.

One of the biggest problems is, you guessed it, Imoen. There's a mod in the Big World stack that overwrites Imoen's BG1 banter file. Unfortunately, since this bug is caused by another mod, there isn't anything the BG1 NPC Project team can do to resolve it on our end.

Your best bet is to do a search on this forum for any post by erebusant, as I believe he found a workaround.

The links you send are definitely a good place to start looking.

While cmorgan, especially, has been doing everything possible to allow BG1 NPC to play nicely with other mods, many of them were written a while ago, and the possibility that they might be installed with other mods that affect the same files was never even considered.

It's nobody's fault. It's just that BG1 NPC is a newer mod, and NEJ, etc. are older mods.

Again, I'm sorry that I can't point to a quick fix for you, but I'm not familiar with mega installations, except in the most general terms, and you're in as good a place to look as I am.

PS - you get the ?'s from deleting the mod folders, I understand. This is only a problem if you plan to uninstall or reinstall mods.

Sorry, which baf and d files are you talking about?

This is the situation:

You've run afoul of a common problem in mega installations, installing a mod that overwrites the files of a previously installed mod. There's nothing the previously installed mod can do to make it right. There's nothing you, the player, can do without rebuilding your installation, unless there is help for you in the linked thread.

I'm sorry, but there really isn't anything anyone on the BG1 NPC staff can do to help you.

Guest Folmango
Sorry, which baf and d files are you talking about?

I'm talking about the files inside of the linked .rar-data. As far as I know this has to put into the BG1NPC-folder and then to reinstall?

This is the situation:

You've run afoul of a common problem in mega installations, installing a mod that overwrites the files of a previously installed mod. There's nothing the previously installed mod can do to make it right. There's nothing you, the player, can do without rebuilding your installation, unless there is help for you in the linked thread.

I'm sorry, but there really isn't anything anyone on the BG1 NPC staff can do to help you.

Ok, I understand that and thank for your help :) Well, this files above could be help. Right now I'm moving without Imoen and all is pretty fine. I think hardly this is fault with her.

So if this problem won't show up on other NPCs it's all cool.

Archived