[OS X] Again, RE not installing

ericp07

Hello,

Last night and today, I've restored to clean install and gone into the process of reinstalling all the mods I have, after reading feedback about my finally-achieved playable BGII with all mods added. Now I wish I hadn't touched anything, because I can't get some mods to install.

I've updated everything to WeiDU 204. I see that some mods are organized differently from others in their folders. I've tried installing with weidu-mac and with Install-mod (when weidu-mac didn't work). Always, with the following mods, I get errors, and I notice that the .tp2 files are buried more deeply in subfolders than they are in the mods that installed successfully.

These are the mods that won't install:

BG2 Tweaks

Divine Remix

NPC Kitpack

tbquest

tbtweaks

I have the .DEBUG files for each of these. Romantic Encounters also won't install, but this one doesn't give me a .DEBUG file.

Some of these mods come from SHS, so I've posted about this over there, too.

I don't recall what the solution was the last time I had such problems, so I apologize for that. If anyone can help, I'll be most grateful, and be sure to make notes about it so I'll know what to do if it ever happens again.

After getting these mods to install, I'll conclude with Refinements and Virtue...assuming they behave and install successfully :)

Thanks,

Eric

For installation, read this post again, please.

Well, I'm not getting the "permission denied" problem, so the solution clearly lies elsewhere.

It just perplexes me that I've been able to install and play the mod successfully before, but not now. I just remembered something else I did wrong, though: instead of running the WeiDU installer to update to 204, I simply replaced the previous WeiDU folder with the 204 folder, and expected all to be well. I'll correct that now, though it may not help with the mod-install-failure. We'll see.

Thanks,

Eric

My (very old original XP) computer has some issues with some of the compressed executables folks these days like to compress their programs with. The problem only occurs the second time these programs are run (i guess because they are decompressed then and the moronic dll - corrupted? - chokes).

This happens to me with weidu mods.

The solution to me when i want to install some thing is a bit of a pain, since each weidu mod will check each installed exe for the most recent version of weidu, and if it can't access then it chokes.

The solution is this. Keep the original install files. Then open them with winrar (they are compressed). For each installed mod copy the setupxxxx.exe to the game directory.

Then run the mod you want to install.

This may not be your problem, but it is a possibility.

My (very old original XP) computer has some issues with some of the compressed executables folks these days like to compress their programs with. The problem only occurs the second time these programs are run (i guess because they are decompressed then and the moronic dll - corrupted? - chokes).

This happens to me with weidu mods.

The solution to me when i want to install some thing is a bit of a pain, since each weidu mod will check each installed exe for the most recent version of weidu, and if it can't access then it chokes.

The solution is this. Keep the original install files. Then open them with winrar (they are compressed). For each installed mod copy the setupxxxx.exe to the game directory.

Then run the mod you want to install.

This may not be your problem, but it is a possibility.

In my case (Mac OS X), the app to use would be UnRarX to extract a downloaded .exe archive. Also, I've found that, if extracting a downloaded mod archive (such as a .rar) results in one of the files inside being a .exe file, I don't have to worry about it, but simply replace that with a copy of weidu-mac that I rename with the name of the .exe, only instead of ".exe" I add ".command". Fun with filetypes :)

As for the topic of this thread, the latest fixed version of RE works just fine.

Thanks,

Eric

Good to hear that. Enjoy your game.

Do you mean NSIS installers(Kelsey, Xan, RE), or self-extracting archives(BG2 Tweak Pack, Kivan)?

Do you mean NSIS installers(Kelsey, Xan, RE), or self-extracting archives(BG2 Tweak Pack, Kivan)?

Both i guess. The problem is not on the installers, but on the setupxxx.exe files inside the installers. I suspect UPX compression.

Archived