MUCH praise and minor feedback

Qwinn

Thoroughly enjoying the game today :) Still playing.

If I may, I'd like to ask a question about my game? I'm afraid it probably doesn't have anything to do with this mod, but not sure where else to ask.

In Dan Simpson's walkthrough is this bit:

Ankheg Shells -- can be made into an armor (AC 1), which costs 4000gp

(Thunderhammer Smithy, Beregost). Or you could sell them for 500gp.

Note: You can only sell shells once! After that you can't even get him

to make you an armor! Sell the shells one at a time (by dropping

the others) to get 500GP each. You can even go back and get some

more but Thunderhammer will stop buying shells and refuse to make

the armor 10 days after he first offered to buy the shells or as

soon as you get him to make the armor. (info from Duncan Clay)

Tip: There are 9 shells in the Akheg nest, turn up with these and the

armor won't cost you anything.

Yet in my game, I can only do one of two things - either sell any number of shells for 500g (and that's one shell or ten shells, he gives me 500g total no matter how many shells he takes off me) or he'll make me an armor for 4000g. Either way, no matter what, I can't ever do anything else with ankheg shells. I cannot "sell the shells one at a time" - he'll only pay me 500g for shells one time, as far as I can tell.

It's a bit annoying, heh, I carted 19 ankheg shells (that's just shy of a full ton!) back to Beregost and stored 'em to sell, only to find that 18 of them are completely worthless. Bleah. Is the walkthrough just wrong?

Qwinn

Found another typo... in a Khalid/Jaheira banter, where they discuss settling down and having a child (the one where Jaheira says that she knows their first child will be a daughter), Khalid has a line where he uses the word "centred", should probably be "centered".

And I have to say, I continue to be astonished at how many banters you guys have added... I keep finding new ones, and I haven't even switched out any characters, I'm still going with Imoen/Khalid/Jaheira/Minsc/Dynaheir. It's really awesome - I wish the BG2 banter pack had nearly as many, heh. I'd say with this mod BG1 actually -does- have signficantly more banters and party interaction than BG2 (even with mods)... you're all going to have to do this for BG2 now so it stays even, hehe.

Qwinn

Yet in my game, I can only do one of two things - either sell any number of shells for 500g (and that's one shell or ten shells, he gives me 500g total no matter how many shells he takes off me) or he'll make me an armor for 4000g. Either way, no matter what, I can't ever do anything else with ankheg shells. I cannot "sell the shells one at a time" - he'll only pay me 500g for shells one time, as far as I can tell.

It's a bit annoying, heh, I carted 19 ankheg shells (that's just shy of a full ton!) back to Beregost and stored 'em to sell, only to find that 18 of them are completely worthless. Bleah. Is the walkthrough just wrong?

Qwinn

For unmodded BG, the walkthrough is correct, but I am pretty sure Easytutu and Tutu v4 with the TutuFix mod repair some of the things like this that (after careful community discussion and looking at developer info) were labled "exploits". I will check into it - I could be remembering wrong.

Thank's for the typo report; I will do a search for "centred" and clean it up when things get going.

Hey, if you really like the banters, there are two things you may want to explore. With your party, there is no need for adding Coran's Friendship talks mod, etc., but next time if you want to run with different folks in your party, there are extra friendship talks for Coran and Xan available.

If BG2 is too spare for you, there is a SpellHoldStudios project that adds banters to a number of the NPCs.

And if you decide to do another run through Tutu soon, there are a few NPCs that add good stuff: Gavin (G3) adds good banters, even if you (like me) are a dude who won't romance him, and Finch (PPG) has some really funny and great banters and discussions.

But don't fall for the distraction right now; I did, and kept re-building my game over and over the first year I played, because I wanted to try the combinations all out - I would have had so much more fun running all the way through the game before trying a new set of NPCs out!

Yeah, I know how that goes :) I do intend on at least finishing BG1 before going through another game.

Finch sounds interesting, I may well give her a try if I play a 3rd game (Branwen will be my cleric and my romance for my 2nd game).

I may well do a 3rd game just to experience all the other NPC's... since I'll have Minsc and Dynaheir in my 2nd game as well, and Imoen in every game. So I may just do a 3rd game that -doesn't- take either the Khalid/Jaheira or Minsc/Dynaheir pairs just so I can take pretty much everyone (non-evil) else :)

And yes! Thank you for reminding me of that SHS banter pack, I did note that one time but then forgot who was working on it. I think I will install that on my next BG2 run too.

Qwinn

P.S. Oh, I had no idea that selling multiple ankheg shells was an exploit. It's a lot harder to kill 10 ankhegs than Bassilus, for the same reward, heh. Oh well, thanks for the response on that.

An additional note on a previously reported problem:

Reputation's up to 18, and Imoen -still- doesn't say anything when I gain reputation. Thought I'd add that, in the force-talk mod, when you ask her what's wrong, even at reputation 18 she says "Not that I'm complaining or anything, but don't you think we're kinda getting a bad reputation?". Possibly related? Dunno, but seems like it could be, and even if it isn't, sounds like it shouldn't behave that way anyway.

Qwinn

Just initiated Dynaheir's quest. When Drizzt speaks to Minsc, he says "Witch? Well, my friend, you are welcome to keep the parchament." The final word is actually spelled "parchment". (It is spelled correctly later in the same dialogue, so I'm sure it's just a typo).

Also in the same dialogue is this line by Drizzt: "Ah, I see that you are a Hathran scholar Perhaps you can help me." A period is missing between "scholar" and "Perhaps".

Lastly, at the end of that conversation you get the message: "Journal has been updated - Dynaheir's Journal", but no journal entry appears with that title or regarding her journal, either open or closed, in any chapter. The option I picked in conversation was to split up and search for the journal and meet back there in 24 hours, which probably -should- have a good journal entry behind it. Note that I don't believe a journal entry was added at all when you first meet Dynaheir and she first mentions her missing journal either, in fact, that conversation seems to end rather abruptly. No message about your journal being updated is added at that time either, but again, the conversation seems to abort very suddenly and possibly prematurely.

EDIT: Shortly after the Drizzt conversation, you are approached by some gnolls. In that conversation, at one point you are given the option to say "You do not belive these foul creatures mean you harm?" "belive" should be "believe".

EDIT 2: Later in that conversation, you are given a large number of options to respond to the gnolls in regards to what shall be done with the notes in their possession. The longest option ends with: "So I <Charname> of Candelkeep charge thee". Candlekeep is misspelled, and there should probably be commas in there, like this: "So I, <Charname> of Candlekeep, charge thee."

EDIT 3: In the chat with the gnolls, in the same option where the word "belive" is misspelled in option #2, your response option #3 is "Perhaps you are right. But I do not trust a gnoll, no matter what he is claiming about glowing books and finding the path to peace". This is out of left field, as the gnoll has barely said anything at this point, no one has even mentioned the journal yet or anything about their becoming good. It would make sense later in the conversation, but this early, it doesn't make sense at all. It wasn't hard to get to this set of options, just ask about the "Old one" at the first choice you're given, and you'll get to this set as your second conversation choice.

Qwinn

Really? Good to know, I thought I remembered one and the reason I kept mentioning it is because for the -life- of me I couldn't remember what she actually said and it was bugging the hell out of me... lol... well, that explains that...

BTW, on that "EDIT 3" up there... actually choosing that option #3 works fine, you then get the explanation of everything you need to know, so just changing it to "But I do not trust gnolls." or "But I do not trust gnolls, even ones pretending to come in peace" should work out fine.

Qwinn

Imoen never says anything when you gain reputation. She hasn't even got a "happy reputation" sound file. Just thought you might want to know.

Actually, there is some thing that gives her an interjection because I've been trying to keep my reputation low for the Shar-Teel romance playthru, and every time my reputation falls into the "disliked" catagory she pipes off with "mutton-mongering riff-raff".

Ahhh,,found it, finally. BGT gives Imoen a new soundset. That particular .wav is [bIMOEN10] and all the rest of her waves are ported over directly from Baldur's Gate.

NOOOOOOO...

Dynaheir wasn't talking to me for a while, and I looked into it... and I just read the readme and realized an intelligence of 10 is required... blast it, my paladin's intelligence was 9 (with 18 wisdom).

Am I screwed? Would SK'ing a point off of wisdom and to intelligence now kickstart the romance? Or do I have to reload to a saved game before meeting her or Minsc or anything like that?

Actually reloading to before my meeting Dynaheir wouldn't be all that bad... I put off meeting her for a while so that I'd get her at level 6 with fireball, thankfully. Would have to redo the Nashkel mines, but that'd be a hell of a lot better than starting over. :)

For the record, I have games saved right before her first three talks, so (I'm guessing they're not lovetalks, just friendly talks).

EDIT: Okay, as I said, at the point where I'm at I tried sleeping in an inn, and got nothing. I then SK'ed my stats to an acceptable level, slept in an inn, and got a conversation that started "Come awake Benedict, I sense evil in thy dreams...". I'm getting the impression that I should've gotten it immediately after the first sleep after finishing the Naskel Mines, and the bad stats just delayed it till now. Have I managed to salvage this? If there's a probability that continuing on will still screw up the romance somehow, I'll back up as far as I need to. Oh, btw, I've also recovered her journal from Drizzt, before SKing the changes.

EDIT 2: Before SK'ing my changes, the variable "DynaheirRomanceActive" did not exist. After SK and getting that conversation in the inn, it exists and is set to 1. Phew. I'm hoping I'm okay now.

EDIT 3: Alright, just to be safe and to make sure I didn't miss any content, I'm going back to right before I pick Dynaheir up. In this saved game I'm SK'ing, I -have- entered the Gnoll Stronghold, but haven't actually spoken to her yet. So unless some variables get set when you load the gnoll stronghold area for the first time, or from the beginning of the game, I should be okay. Please let me know if it's otherwise and I need to go further back to make sure all variables are set properly.

Qwinn

Okay, so I'm replaying through, and just encountered an oddness that I believe I experienced on my last playthrough, just forgot to mention it.

In the area NW of Nashkel, i.e. the area you initially meet Drizzt in, there's a hobgoblin you encounter a bit east of Drizzt that follows your party around everywhere. You can't talk to it - it's always "has nothing to say to you" - but he'll follow whoever's closest and stand right next to him. He's unnamed, just called "hobgoblin". He's there and following even before you encounter Drizzt for the first time. You can run away from it, and if you get far enough away it seems to stop following.

Seems like a bad script, but at least during my last playthrough it didn't seem to cause any problems.

EDIT: I tried force attacking him. He had normal loot, except that he had two stacks of gold pieces, one 9gp and the other 100gp. Methinks that second stack was supposed to be a quest reward, but he can't initiate the conversation to start the quest for some reason.

Qwinn

AFAIK, he's just a normal hobgoblin. There aren't any BG1 NPC quests involving them. The only quest that has anything to do with that map are those involving Dynaheir and her journal, so Drizzt is involved, and the gnolls, but that's it.

It isn't unusual to see monsters with two stacks of money. If they are assigned two items of treasure, the actual item that winds up on the spawned creature is random. It can be a stack of money, a gem, a scroll, a piece of jewelry, it's all random.

*nod* I've seen two stacks as well once in a while... but exactly 100g seemed a bit too round a number to be randomly generated, ya know? Especially since I don't think I ever saw a hobgoblin carry quite that much in one stack before, it's usually in the 20-40 range, if that. And it doesn't explain his weird following behavior - it's precisely like that exhibited by quest mobs approaching the nearest party member to initiate conversation, except the conversation never kicks off.

Anyways, I can enter the area fresh a couple more times and see if the number is exactly 100g again. If so, I think that would most likely eliminate the probability that that 100g was randomly generated. I'll report back on that later.

Be aware, I also have BG1UB installed. That's the only other mod I've got in there that creates content, so I dunno. I just reports what I see that's weird :)

EDIT: Looks like it's a BG1UB issue. Found this reference to it over on the PPG board:

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,24732.0.html

Qwinn

I may well do a 3rd game just to experience all the other NPC's... since I'll have Minsc and Dynaheir in my 2nd game as well, and Imoen in every game. So I may just do a 3rd game that -doesn't- take either the Khalid/Jaheira or Minsc/Dynaheir pairs just so I can take pretty much everyone (non-evil) else.

You might want to give a try to at least Xzar and Montaron, if not the entire mixed evil-neutral-good party. Some of the best writing in the mod was done for the evil chars, not to mention most of them are hilareous characters. With Dynaheir romance you are missing a lot of content if you do not have Edwin along. He has a fully developped political conflict with the romance.

Edwin is a total blast. And Edwin+Tiax is a dream party.

Unfortunately, some of the characters(like Eldoth and Skie) have originally been available very late in the game, so they don't have as much content as Dynaheir, Ajantis, Xan or Kivan.

Archived