Dialog writing: .tra or .d?

ericp07

Hello,

While digging into some mods to get examples of how folks write dialog text for BGII characters, I've noticed that often the actual text is contained in .tra files, rather than written in the .d or .tp2 files. I'm interested to know what the advantages are to using .tra files. Is this the preferred method? I'm interested in this mainly because the next phase of creating my joinable NPC mod will be to write her dialog, and I'm always interested in efficiency when it comes to creating and organizing files for the mod package. Ready? Discuss! :)

Thanks,

Eric

The packaged mod often started out untraified, then, once a stable version was achieved, it was traified.

At least that's how I do it.

When I'm writing and troubleshooting the mod, I leave the dialogue in place. For me, it's easier to find where I went wrong. Once I've got everything working, I traify it.

Tra files are only used for one thing: translation purposes. For example, Banter pack has been translated into several languages, and so that Spanish, French and German users are able to use it and understand the text, several .tra(with English, Spanish, French and German lines) are used.

Usually(though there are exceptions), the file is either being written as normal text, and then coded in .d, or written straight in .d from the very start.

Then, right before the mod's release(or in version 2 or 3), the mod's files go through "traification" - one command, and the big .d file is split into one .d file with tra references, and one .tra file.

So, to answer your question: coding straight in .d is probably the easiest and fastest way to do it.

ericp07, the most common way is to keep .D files intact and untraified until you are ready for the translations. But if you search G3, Ascension64 had a good discussion started on this not to long ago, I think - and lots of folks weighed in on the various "best practice" or "common practice" ways of working through the writing process with an eye to easier coding.

Thanks, all! The preference for doing the writing in .D files was what I predicted (even knowing next to nothing :) ) would be the preferred way to go. I want to employ the K.I.S.S. method throughout creating the mod, including using a logical, orderly, and simple file and folder organization for the mod package. So far, I've grouped like-suffixed files into folders named for the suffix, or with a meaningful name (like dialogues for the folder containing the .D files). I like how the mods I've been using are organized; it appears that more recent creations were and are packaged with more attention to organization than some older mods. I favor and follow convention when possible and preferable, so all further advice is most welcome here :)

Happy modding,

Eric

I don't bother with TRAs. If people wish to translate my mods, they can do all of that TRA stuff. Plus it makes it harder to go through your dialogs to find a mistake or change or whatever.

This was my original intent, as well. Unfortunately, some translating communities do the following: they traify your files, and then distribute both your .tra's(English) and their translation(Spanish, Russian, etc), or just translate your mod and upload it on their site - which falls under unauthorized distribution, and which I'd rather NOT have flying around, especially if people are making money out of it(via advertisments on their site, donations, additional PR, whatever).

So I prefer to traify files, provide all help I can to the translators, and update the version as soon as a new translation is ready, and everyone is happy.

Nowadays tra--text allow you to keep all the text on D file as commented out part. It is very convenient and definetly makes TRA experience far less painful. But yes, I would recommend completely finishing the mod prior to TRA'fying. That also signals to the translators that they can do their work without fear of having to redo stuff 'cause the author changed something.

An additional French benefit of TRAfying is that it is easier for the editors to see certain type of errors. It might not be as conveneint as D's for dialogue flow, but typos and missed words will 'jump' at you. So, it's a good idea to proof-read once before the TRA and the second time - on TRAs. Well, that's if you have people willing to do that :)

I'm halfway tempted to translate my mod into French, myself, after I'm done writing it, but when I consider that I'll be writing a great deal of Elven lines...then imagining how complicated it would be to create alternate soundsets...no, thanks! :)

- E

Archived