Some questions about SCSII

Guest Mongerman

Guest Mongerman

I recently stumbled upon SCSII, and I'm thinking about trying it out as I'm bored of my IA 5 game (too much powergaming for my taste). Before I start, I have some questions =)

1. How buggy is SCSII?

2. Despite giving up my IA game, I'm still looking for a difficult experience. Playing with IA has honed my BG2 skills as well. So, will SCSII still be difficult?

3. What other mods are recommanded to go with SCSII? As you know, IA has pretty strict mod compatibility requirements, so I'm pretty dense about the mod scene now.

TIA for any feedback!

1. How buggy is SCSII?
You may avoid installing the Spellhold component as it is slightly bugged at the moment, else SCS II is pretty bug free. At least you shouldn't find any game-breaking bug at all.
2. Despite giving up my IA game, I'm still looking for a difficult experience. Playing with IA has honed my BG2 skills as well. So, will SCSII still be difficult?
SCS II can be quite hard, but probably not much as IA. However it also doesn't add all those absurdly overpowered items, thus you'll find yourself more dependent on characters abilities rather than equipment. Furthmore SCS II doesn't add unexpected immunities and/or resistances and the AI is slightly random, therefore mages can still play as they did in vanilla (but opponents will react much better don't worry) and metagaming should be less important.
3. What other mods are recommanded to go with SCSII? As you know, IA has pretty strict mod compatibility requirements, so I'm pretty dense about the mod scene now.
Pratically there aren't mods which are incompatible with SCS II, except IA itself of course. :) I would suggest you to install Rogue Rebalancing and Quest Pack, along the most obvious ones like Ascension, Fixpack and Tweakpack.
1. How buggy is SCSII?
You may avoid installing the Spellhold component as it is slightly bugged at the moment, else SCS II is pretty bug free. At least you shouldn't find any game-breaking bug at all.

Alas, I know of one other game-breaking bug: if you install the "SCS II AI for Ascension" component, it messes up the battle with Abazigal. Both of these are fixed locally and should be uploaded in a couple of weeks (though don't wait for them: you can install updated versions of SCSII mid-game without problems).

Otherwise I think Demi is right: I'm sure SCSII isn't quite bug-free but it's pretty stable.

To add to Demi's comments slightly: hopefully most battles in SCSII will make you think, but not too many will require lots of reloading. I guess it also depends how much you want to powergame your party: SCSII should be playable with pretty much any balanced party, but conversely if you load it up with Kensai/Mages, Cleric/Rangers, Berserker/Mages and the like, you might find things too easy. (Then again, you might not: I'm not speaking from experience).

The only incompatibilities I know of are with other tactical mods (see the SCSII readme for details). I gather that the "restored Hell trials" component of Quest Pack is buggy and should be avoided, though.
Guest Mongerman

Thanks for the feedback. Will there be a new version coming out soon? I'm in no hurry to start a new game atm. Also, will using weimer's item upgrade mod significantly tip the balance in the player's favor?

Thanks for the feedback. Will there be a new version coming out soon? I'm in no hurry to start a new game atm.

Two or three weeks, probably. (Though as always these things are subject to change...)

Also, will using weimer's item upgrade mod significantly tip the balance in the player's favor?

Well, obviously it'll help; I imagine it'll make it easier but not trivialise it. (Though I don't have reports of anyone trying). Provided you install SCSII last, it will detect that you've got IU installed and will allow in its scripts for the possibility that you're using IU items.

Archived