[OS X] Mod install error

ericp07

EXIT is a transition, END denotes the end of a state.

Consider the following hypothetical dialogue. It illustrates a couple uses of state syntax.

BEGIN BERELIND

IF ~IsGabber(Player1)~ THEN BEGIN BPID
SAY ~(looks at you quizically)~  /* Because this is a PID state */
++ ~What are those little plus signs, and what do they mean?~ + BPID1
++ ~What is the difference between EXTERN and GOTO?~ EXTERN CMORGAN BPID2
++ ~How does COPY_TRANS work?~ + BPID3
++ ~Never mind, I'm going off to play Diablo.~ + BPID4
END

IF ~~ BPID1
SAY ~The first + means IF, the second + means THEN REPLY, and the third + means GOTO. I've found that using the shortcuts makes the dialogue look less cluttered and easier to bugfix.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

APPEND CMORGAN

IF ~~ BPID2
SAY ~When you used EXTERN, it shot the dialogue over to my dialogue file, so I have to answer the question. You use EXTERN in dialogue to change dialogue files, or in CHAIN, you use it because it tends to be less fussy than GOTO.~
++ ~I understand.~ EXIT
END
END /* gotta end CMORGAN's APPEND */

APPEND BERELIND
IF ~~ BPID3
SAY ~It copies the transitions from the state you specify. But the syntax is funny. You have to END a CHAIN before the COPY_TRANS, and it replaces the END in normal dialogue.~
COPY_TRANS CMORGAN BPID2

IF ~~ BPID4
SAY ~Have fun.~
IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END
END

Thanks much for that extra info to berelinde and Jastey :thumbsup: I'm not yet comfortable with the idea of using the "shortcut" plus signs and the like (barely wrapping my brain around the equals signs right now), but I'll clean the files up in this way at some point in development.

As of now, Hinaeariel spawns and approaches the party in area 1200, as I wanted, approaches, and launches her opening dialog. I can get her to join the party, but I want to add something to her initial contact with the party, so she can tell them what she's currently doing, and offer a sort of "I'll help you if you'll help me" deal. I'm thinking this will be as simple as adding some text to her initial greeting. I'll give it a try. This will add a bit of much-needed flavor, and set the tone for Hinaeariel's character to a degree, I think.

Happy modding,

Eric

Archived