Installation on Mac OS X

exile

I believe I have something of value to commit to the project regarding building for OSX/iOS.

I have created an xcode project to build gemrb that:

1. replaces the *nix paths with apple appropriate equivalents.

2. removes the dependancies on building SDL unix style and instead links against the sdl OS X framework as well as linking against the OpenAL and Python Frameworks that ship with OS X + libzlib that also comes with os x

3. builds gemRB as an application bundle (complete with gemRB icon) instead of a commandline executable.

I would like to also include libpng.dylib as a build resource if that is permissible with both gemrb and libpng folks.

Anyhow how do I commit my work? the only cross platform source code I changed was the previously mentioned header files that are going to be changed anyhow; everything else I added is in a special apple directory and uses for the xcode project only.

Talk to someone on the IRC channel (#gemrb), or submit it as a patch to sourceforge (if you have an SF account).

Has anyone managed to compile 0.6.4 of GemRB on Mac OS 10.6? I get this error even though I tried setting CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS as described (there was no configure script anymore).

[ 66%] Built target gemrb_core
Linking CXX executable gemrb
ld: warning: in /Library/Frameworks//SDL.framework/SDL, missing required architecture x86_64 in file
Undefined symbols:
 "_SDL_PushEvent", referenced from:
  -[NSApplication(SDLApplication) terminate:] in libSDLmain.a(SDLMain.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [gemrb/gemrb] Error 1
make[1]: *** [gemrb/CMakeFiles/gemrb.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Could this have to do with the fact that my kernel boots in x86_64 mode?

Yes GemRB works great on 10.6. I have build an xcode project to build both mac and iOS versions that will be added to gemrb in due time. Once its in you should be able to simply open it select the build target and go.

are you trying to build the with cmake or the oldway with configure etc? I have build gemrb as both i386 and x86_64 so that alone isnt it but maybe your SDL framework is missing the x86_64 portion.

Yes GemRB works great on 10.6. I have build an xcode project to build both mac and iOS versions that will be added to gemrb in due time. Once its in you should be able to simply open it select the build target and go.

are you trying to build the with cmake or the oldway with configure etc? I have build gemrb as both i386 and x86_64 so that alone isnt it but maybe your SDL framework is missing the x86_64 portion.

I'm following the instructions on the website, cmake. I also tried setting CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS in the environment as per OP's instructions.

I had build SDL the unix way from source to get gemrb to compile for os x using the cmake configuration provided with gemrb. also i didnt set any special flags that i can recall; you should ignore building directions above my posts in this thread as they are out of date.

either ditch the framework and build sdl as an so then build gemrb using ONLY these directions or wait till next week when i hope for this xcode project to be included in the git repo.

Not sure if I should start a new topic for this, but there don't seem to be many Mac OS X users here and I thought I might reach those more easily this way. I'm new. I successfully compiled 0.6.5 from git and I can run BG1 – sort of. The problem is that when I use the widescreen mod, I can't see the dialog box that's supposed to appear when you talk to someone, and the row of icons at the bottom is missing.

Here's a screenshot:

http://tyrion.rrz.uni-koeln.de/~a0620/BG_screenshot.png

Info that might be relevant: Mac OS X 10.6.8 on a 27" iMac with the following options:

GameType=bg1

GamePath=/Volumes/TBD/Baldurs Gate

CD1=/Volumes/TBD/Baldurs Gate/data

CD2=/Volumes/TBD/Baldurs Gate/data

CD3=/Volumes/TBD/Baldurs Gate/data

CD4=/Volumes/TBD/Baldurs Gate/data

CD5=/Volumes/TBD/Baldurs Gate/data

CD6=/Volumes/TBD/Baldurs Gate/data

Fullscreen=0

#Width=1280

#Height=720

Width=640

Height=480

AudioDriver=sdlaudio

I have played around with various widths and heights, and I also tried "Fullscreen=1". I'd be grateful for any and all ideas.

well if you are using the wide screen mod the resolution in your config is wrong. that is the resolution for non widescreen.

I'm aware of that :) But the situation is the same regardless of resolution. The iMac's native resolution is 2560x1440. When I use that, it works as expected except for the issues I mentioned. I chose the lower resolution for the screenshot because that made it smaller.

It's working fine without the widescreen mod, but of course only at 640x480. I tried the Windows binary of GemRB under Windows 7 using Parallels and the excat same installation and configuration, and there the wide screen mod works fine. So it's either a bug in the Mac code or something about my build process.

Guest zenxyzzy

0.6.6 fails on powerbook G4 running 10.5.8 with xcode 3.1.4 and up-to-date macports:

/gemrb-0.6.6/gemrb/includes/CocoaWrapper.h:29: error: cannot find protocol declaration for ‘NSApplicationDelegate’

/gemrb-0.6.6/gemrb/plugins/SDLVideo/CocoaWrapper.m:28: error: syntax error before ‘__attribute__’

/gemrb-0.6.6/gemrb/plugins/SDLVideo/CocoaWrapper.m:32: error: syntax error before ‘.’ token

/gemrb-0.6.6/gemrb/plugins/SDLVideo/CocoaWrapper.m:33: error: syntax error before ‘&’ token

anybody got any ideas here?

0.6.6 fails on powerbook G4 running 10.5.8 with xcode 3.1.4 and up-to-date macports:

/gemrb-0.6.6/gemrb/includes/CocoaWrapper.h:29: error: cannot find protocol declaration for ‘NSApplicationDelegate’

/gemrb-0.6.6/gemrb/plugins/SDLVideo/CocoaWrapper.m:28: error: syntax error before ‘__attribute__’

/gemrb-0.6.6/gemrb/plugins/SDLVideo/CocoaWrapper.m:32: error: syntax error before ‘.’ token

/gemrb-0.6.6/gemrb/plugins/SDLVideo/CocoaWrapper.m:33: error: syntax error before ‘&’ token

anybody got any ideas here?

can you try downloading the source from git and building again? i just pushed a fix for at least 1 build issue for versions of mac os prior to 10.6

BTW you no longer need mac ports for GemRB. If you havent already done so you should download the SDL framework for mac instead of using the unix library. I don't know if the unix library will even work for mac gemrb any longer.

If you still get errors building SDLVideo you can edit the cmake txt file in the sdlvideo folder and remove the COCOA bit. it will build and run fine without that. the sdl cocoa stuff is mostly a placeholder for future functionality.

Guest Guest_Siegfried_*
BTW you no longer need mac ports for GemRB. If you havent already done so you should download the SDL framework for mac instead of using the unix library. I don't know if the unix library will even work for mac gemrb any longer.

If you still get errors building SDLVideo you can edit the cmake txt file in the sdlvideo folder and remove the COCOA bit. it will build and run fine without that. the sdl cocoa stuff is mostly a placeholder for future functionality.

Is downloaded the XCode Project files but somehow seem to be unable to compile under Lion. Is there a walkthrough somewhere or is this really just for the "inner circle". I seem to lack too many basics to be able to tie up loose ends myself.

Thanks for help!

xcode project files? do you know something i don't?

to build GemRB on mac os x lion you will need:

* SDL 1.2.15 (if you want fullscreen to work otherwise any version of SDL 1.2) or SDL 1.3

* cmake

* the latest gemrb source from git

then simply follow the stupid simple compile instructions

then gemrb will be installed in /Applications with its support files in ~/Library/Application Support/GemRB

Archived