Imoen BhaalSpawn Abilities

I'm not sure if this is already fixed and overwritten by Ascension (or similar), but Imoen's Bhaalspawn abilities (SPIN57[34]) add a bonus to Dexterity and Strength, respectively, using

Timing mode: Instant/Permanent until death (1)

Dispel/Resistance: Not dispel/Not bypass resistance (2)

rather than the stabler

Timing mode: Instant/Permanent (9)

Dispel/Resistance: Not dispel/Not bypass resistance (2)

The usual wisdom is that attribute bonuses are done with timing mode 1 to keep them from showing up in red and making sure they behave correctly with items or spells that also apply effects to modify the attribute (that's supposed to be a potion of 18 strength, not 19!).

2 does bypass resistance. I haven't quite figured it out, but I think this is a bitfield -> Bit0=dispel, Bit1=bypass resistance. The tricky part is why 0 behaves identically to 2; I think the default is no dispel/bypass (making 2 largely redundant), and if either of these 2 bits are on, they switch to no dispel/no bypass (and the bits control dispel/bypass settings). In any case, 2 will always disregard magic resistance.

I don't remember testing what occurs if higher bits are set (i.e., if they switch to no dispel/no bypass for any bit or only for the first two bits).

And level immunity and deflection/reflection and pretty much everything else. But it's not entirely consistent (caster has to be self too). If she does something like ApplySpell(Myself), then yeah, it would work even with Power 1 and funky school/type and dispel/no bypass 1.

It's ReallyForceSpell(Myself) so we're good - only saving throws and immunity by resref would be checked.
Cooler still, if the effect targets didn't match and the spell blocked itself (as the last effect), some of the effects would probably fail.

I love this engine!!!

Archived