Discussion on Crossmod Interest Thread

Moongaze II

'Tis likely I won't be allowed to participate, but to be sure, I'm submitting Lockheart, who is well on her way to completion...

[bWL] Lockheart (BG2 SoA/ToB)

Author(s): Moongaze

This mod features the bardess Lockheart as joinable NPC. She can be romanced by female Bhaalspawn. (In Production)

Homepage: None

Forum: http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showforum=129

('Tis my workroom forum. A new Lockheart-specific forum will be created once it's ready for v1 release)

Also, Wikaede should be changed to...

[bWL] Wikaede (BG2 SoA/ToB)

Author(s): Moongaze

Wikaede is a respected priest of Helm, serving at the Temple of Helm in Athkatla. He is loyal, trustworthy and dutybound.

Homepage: None

Forum: http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showforum=36

^ Kae, whatever you have to say to or about me is really none of my concern. My submission is a fair one, whether you like it or not. In fact, I'll likely submit Oulan when she's finished, too. Leave it up to the (other) mod authors to decide if they want to have their character interact with mine, aye? Thank ye.

^ Kae, whatever you have to say to or about me is really none of my concern. My submission is a fair one, whether you like it or not. In fact, I'll likely submit Oulan when she's finished, too. Leave it up to the (other) mod authors to decide if they want to have their character interact with mine, aye? Thank ye.

:)

They have a history. Best to just stay out of it.

But it might be helpful to point out that crossmod goes two ways. Sure, modders of long-released projects can always initiate crossmod discussions with the modders of newer works, but often, it's the writer of the newer mod that makes the first move.

Folks, this might be a good place to flag the mods whose authors do not mind the crossmod content added to their NPCs w/o the author's participation. If you will do this, please, flag Kivan as such :)

Good idea, Domi! Updated Iylos as well.

Past conflicts should never stop modding, and any history Moongaze and I have certainly doesn't affect this mod. :) This is an open project, and Grim, berelinde and I are open to any and all modders who wish to contribute!

I am all for inter-modder communication and participation, and it's great to see some new additions to the list. :D

Eh, you know what?

Forget about it. Might as well remove the Wikaede/Kivan content as well, eh?

It's partly mine, after all. :thumbsup:

Seriously, feel free to remove Wikaede, Lockheart and whatever other mod I might have on the list. 'Tis a nice idea, but with ye at the helm I can see no good coming from it, sadly.

Have fun.

Eh, you know what?

Forget about it. Might as well remove the Wikaede/Kivan content as well, eh?

It's partly mine, after all. :thumbsup:

Seriously, feel free to remove Wikaede, Lockheart and whatever other mod I might have on the list. 'Tis a nice idea, but with ye at the helm I can see no good coming from it, sadly.

Have fun.

(quoted in its entirety just in case the edit monster mysteriously gobbles up the original)

Here we see another excellent example of why the idea of granting/requesting permission for crossmod content is stupid*. Now you have someone withdrawing permission because he decided he doesn't like the guy currently in charge of the mod.

Please, please, stop treating your creations as more sacrosanct than the core game you blissfully modify.

* - Also, please do not try to argue that having people say they grant blanket permission makes the matter better. It doesn't. Perpetuating the presumption that permission is required or should be honored at all is a mistake.

Common sense says that if the banter has been included for a publicly released version, it's in. This banter was approved for inclusion a long time ago, so it's a little late to reconsider now.

If it makes you feel any beter, Grim is still the man with the keys. He's still officially the lead person for Crossmod Banter Pack. K'aeloree and I share the responsibility of updating the mod when new material is included.

As for removing the names of in-progress NPCs, I will do so at your request, but it will have to wait until I get home from work.

In any case, it's always possible to add material at any time.

Here we see another excellent example of why the idea of granting/requesting permission for crossmod content is stupid*. Now you have someone withdrawing permission because he decided he doesn't like the guy currently in charge of the mod.

I guess it's too late to say "Add whatever you like whenever you like", because

1) permission stuff's been here for years, so, if one lifts it, people will think "Ye gods, this Keto banter is totally horrible! Jcompton, I'm SO disappointed" and so on;

2) permission stuff's Grim's original concept, and some people wouldn't have added stuff in the first place if their material wasn't "protected" by it.

Please, please, stop treating your creations as more sacrosanct than the core game you blissfully modify.

I agree with you, but I think that the only way the current trend to treat the material in an overly possessive way is by acknowledging that it is not sancrosact on individual basis. It's a simple majority rule. If the majority of modders start promoting the idea that their NPCs should be like Bio ones, we will stop having this issue.

For the record: I have no problems with Kivan-Wikadae content staying in the mod, and I would like to remind Moongaze that this content represents not solely his work.

It's a simple majority rule. If the majority of modders start promoting the idea that their NPCs should be like Bio ones, we will stop having this issue.

Sadly, I concur. My point is that I think the mere presence of the "permission" system in this mod molds those opinions.

This mod has historically operated on the basis that both modders need to approve crossmod material, unless other arrangements have been made previously. Domi has already made that declaration for Kivan, K'aeloree has given it for Iylos, and JC implies that he has given it for Keto and Kelsey, although he has not stated as much explicitly, so I'd be unwilling to take him up on that unless he does.

Since I consider myself as a caretaker for Crossmod Banter Pack rather than any kind of an "owner", if such a thing could even be possible, given the fact that this mod is the work of many others, I am uncomfortable making any changes to policy. Read: it isn't going to happen.

Whatever my personal feelings on the matter, as caretaker, I am not going to be making any changes to the way things have been done.

Archived