The Sensuous Permission-Free Crossmod Banter Author

jcompton

The consensus seems dead set on "no permission", and I tire of this discussion, so as a last offering here's what I finished writing of the lengthy post that I referenced earlier. I'm not going to spend too much of my time elaborating... So you're pretty much stuck with what I finished and saved before deciding that it might derail the thread.

Btw, I'd just like to say that I've done a damn fine job of playing the Devil's Advocate. Yes, I am that much of an ass. :blush:

aWL

Rough draft ahead! Beware of unrefined thoughts! :suspect:

The concept at work is what I'd call (for lack of a better term) fraternity-based ethics.

1. A number of individuals decide to commit certain unethical acts.

Example 1: Certain people in the City of Coin decide to become thieves.

Example 2: We decide to mod for BGII without proper permissions.

2. These people realize that their actions have a distinct possibility of overlap.

Example 1: They might choose to steal from the same rich noble, etc.

Example 2: We all mod a shared game world.

3. In order to increase the viability of their activities, these people band together.

Example 1: The Shadow Thieves organization is formed.

Example 2: Modding communities are born.

4. These people draft rules to facilitate organized activity.

Example1: Don't steal from your fellow thieves, etc.

Example2: Basic respect is granted to all members of the community, permission is asked before using another's content, etc.

Basically:

"We're all going to break the law, so let's work together to reap the most benefits."

On balance I'd rather find a better ethical role-model than organised crime...

I presently subscribe to a modified form of virtue ethics. I can reccomend a number of authors if you're interested. Bear in mind that I haven't been arguing this topic from my personal ethical stance.

aWL

Really, it's simple. Neither jcompton nor Cam nor Seb really seem interested in actually creating or writing for a free-for-all pack here and now, so if your position is pro-permission, your best bet is not arguing, but letting this topic die a natural death. Creating things takes time and effort. Ignore it, and it will go away.

(Me, provoking anyone? Whatever do you mean? :suspect: )

Example2: Basic respect is granted to all members of the community, permission is asked before using another's content, etc.
Nobody is suggesting wholesale usurping of another's content -- this isn't about taking Domi's work and putting Kulyok's stamp on it. What is suggested is that I'm able to add to your content with my own PC mod (so that my character can banter with yours) without needing to run to you and beg permission to let me modify your most-holy-of-holies.

Respect entails that I don't try to trash your work, not that I hold it to be sacrosanct, untouchable without contracts and the proper prenuptials.

@devSin

Sure. But what happens when you honestly think that NPC-X is an evil bitch and write dialogue/actions that NPC-X's creator knows that the character would never say/do? But whatever. As I said, I've run with the banner long enough. Someone else can take up the cause.

aWL

Sure. But what happens when you honestly think that NPC-X is an evil bitch and write dialogue/actions that NPC-X's creator knows that the character would never say/do?
Nothing. You note it and don't install it and move on. You are not the sole arbiter of how NPC-X must act and speak. Jason was right that you're falling into the "false sense of entitlement," here.

Holding the keys to the kingdom because you're afraid of what someone else might do in your secret rooms is not respect and has nothing to do with respect. I can't think of any way your "forbidding" me from adding to your content with my own (of which you have no involvement in and no rights to) can be framed as respectful.

That's disrespect. You note it and don't install it and move on.

Is it disrespect? Or disagreement? What if your interpretation of the character is different from that of its creator?

Holding the keys to the kingdom because you're afraid of what someone else might do in your secret rooms is not respect and has nothing to do with respect. I can't think of any way your "forbidding" me from adding to your content with my own (of which you have no involvement in and no rights to) can be framed as respectful.

Much like Cam, you are in an arbitrary position.

You rank your right to use/alter mod content above the author's right to permissions.

You are merely trading one "sense of entitlement" for another.

*sigh* Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a compulsive Devil's Advocate. :suspect:

aWL

EDIT: spelling

I can't think of any way your "forbidding" me from adding to your content with my own (of which you have no involvement in and no rights to) can be framed as respectful.
This is what I was thinking all the way: Is it respectful to prohibit others to write for your NPC, to draw out material that was already implemented and agreed to, to try to control even dialogues about your NPC, even if the name is not mentioned and it is only your NPC because he happens to be another male romantic interest, and my NPC wants to comment on that? I don't think so.
Is it respectful to prohibit others to write for your NPC,

Yes.

to draw out material that was already implemented and agreed to,

No.

to try to control even dialogues about your NPC, even if the name is not mentioned and it is only your NPC because he happens to be another male romantic interest, and my NPC wants to comment on that?

No.

The real controversy occurs when one author puts words into another author's character's mouth.

Btw, I'm not defending Moongaze... I thought that much would be obvious but your words seem to indicate that you might think otherwise.

aWL

I edited the above post to clear up the disrespect (I misread NPC-X and thought the writing was done because they thought NPC-X's creator was the bitch, which would be spiteful/disrespectful).

You rank your right to use/alter mod content above the author's right to permissions.
The author absolutely has right to forbid the use of their own content. What I don't believe (and will never support) is that they have a right to forbid my own content from interacting or intersecting with their own in any way, shape, or form, nor can I see how that has anything to do with respect.

Archived