Romances in BG1

icelus

6> Romance will go one to SoA, though upon learning Imoen is your sister, you can have the option to stop it with no ill effects.

Jinnai, I suggest that you do not do any work for SoA before completing BG1 portion as we will not deal with SoA within this project in a foreseeable future. As Imoen is the first character to join you have a rather large amount of talks you can write for BG1 (it probably will easily take as many as 25-30) without them being too closly timed, so it is a huge project in itself. Trust me, the first 10 are easy, but after that it is become increasingly difficult with every added talk because you do not want repetitions and because you do want some romantical content and you cannot slide into more familiar modern romance concepts too deeply - you have to stay on Faerun...

If you have no conceptual problems with LM's romance, allowing it to take care of the SoA portion is a great idea, since people can play non-stop romance as soon as you complete BG1 portion.

I seconf Andyr on LE - LE is very unpleasant type of a person, who will be actually exactly opposite to Imoen, and not only she be disgusted by the person's desire to be cruel and evil, but also by his firm conviction that he has "the right" to do it and do it in the name of law/power. I think that any L-aligned person may be inacceptable to Imoen. It's just no fun to romance for her.

LE characters are not ness the type that try to hide there true identies through subelty and whatnot, althought that could very well be the case.

LE also embodies those who simply have selfish goals in mind, but are still essentially honorable people.

Dark Paladins (not to be confused with anti-paladins) would fit such a nature. They may follow evil tenants, but it is only because they view personal gain much more importantly than anything else, however they'd not sacrafise their honor to achieve this personal gain (as their honor would likely be a part of this personal gain also).

think that any L-aligned person may be inacceptable to Imoen. It's just no fun to romance for her.

Can't...my LN monk must be able to romance her...he just must be able to....... ;)

So, can you imagine Imoen romancing someone who persists in achieving dark goals in an oderly fasion? Can you imagine Imoen romancing Sarevok? Or Balzathar? Or Darth Weder? Or Tywin Lannister? Or Sammael? Or Stalin? (help me out with other close to LE males, people!) Honor will not play a big deal with Imoen as she is chaotic. In fact if the deed commited in the name of honor is unppealing she would likely to want person to go against his/her honor. Well, anyways, have some time to mull over it and see what you will decide in the end. The advantage of having a few romances put in is to be able to use logical restrictions on each.
Well i think she is NG, not CG, which is a bit different.

But i will mull it over...i could see her, under circumstances, romancing someone like Lord Ariakan, but not the most likely candidate. Then again i did say the bar would be set higher for LE person anyways.

My bad...She always feeled as chaotic as they come to me, lol and this impression was actually strengthened by your set.

As for bars, hmmm... Charisma is the ability to lead, while what you are looking for is "PC charming" I guess, so charisma may not be you best bet. maybe a combination of intelligence and charisma?

There are different kinds of Neutrals. A person can be deeply invested in Neutrality as a goal in itself (Jaheira) or Neutrality could simply mean indifference to either extreme. I'd say Imoen was in the latter category as between Law and Chaos. She seems to me a common-sense type who could get along nicely with a Lawful or a Chaotic but wouldn't much like anyone who was too preachy about it (i.e. someone who wanted *her* to change to his way of thinking).

Since she is Good, though, an overt act of cruelty should kill the romance if not drive her out of the party altogether. Siding with the brutish lumberjacks against the dryad of the Cloudpeaks or murdering one of the minions in the Cloakwood mines who surrenders to you (or, worse, drowning all the slaves there) should break the romance or, at the very least, initiate a love talk in which the romance goes !poof! if the player tries to justify the deed according to an Evil alignment.

My bad...She always feeled as chaotic as they come to me, lol and this impression was actually strengthened by your set.

As for bars, hmmm... Charisma is the ability to lead, while what you are looking for is "PC charming" I guess, so charisma may not be you best bet. maybe a combination of intelligence and charisma?

I would say that charisma isn't limited to leadership but is, more generally, simply the ability to convince others that one is right. It would be very nice if it were conjoined with intelligence and wisdom but this isn't always the case. Weak-willed fools who simply "look the part" very well often convince a great many others that they are great generals, saints or CEOs without being able to provide any other evidence for their claims. Thus, a high-Charisma PC who "looks like" Imoen's notion of a romantic ideal would probably be treated as one regardless of other attributes.

Erm...are we still talking about the same girl who read someone else's letter, ran away from the protected and cosy Candlekeep, glued to PC no matter what s/he said and dyed Xan's hair pink? She is an embodiment of chaos imo, lol  :lol:

Common sense according to her perceptions, sure. Read the letter? She ought to know what's really going on with people who matter to her doesn't she? Leave Candlekeep? The monks are boring, scut work for Winthrop is no better and the PC and Gorion are leaving. Stick to the PC? Once she's out of Candlekeep and Gorion's dead, where else does she have to go? Dye Xan pink? Something has to be done to cheer him up.

Maybe it is just a different idea of the Chaotic type. They can be random and flakey but they can also demonstrate great fixity of purpose - as long as the purpose is their own. To me, what makes one Chaotic is the very powerful desire to follow one's own inclinations regardless of any other circumstance. An attempt to assert mastery over the Chaotic is very deeply resented. Imoen, OTOH, is perfectly content to be a team player and do what she's told - in large matters anyway.

Maybe it is just a different idea of the Chaotic type. They can be random and flakey but they can also demonstrate great fixity of purpose - as long as the purpose is their own. To me, what makes one Chaotic is the very powerful desire to follow one's own inclinations regardless of any other circumstance.

I guess so, because the reasoning you put behind Imoen's actions sounds exactly like a chaotic's person reasoning to me - she follows her own desires and does whatever the hell she wants, no matter what others think or tell her.

OTOH, I can see a chotic person not resenting mastery over him or assuming mastery - the whole drow society is build on a very strict hierarchical structure which is chaotic from top to bottom. You obey when you have to obey or want to obey and you do your own thing when it strikes you. 

To me chaotic is simply the ability to disregard the law and look for the ways around every order and act on impulse...anyways, no big deal, but I still cannot very well picture Imoen proper (no matter her alignment, lol) with either Tywin Lannister, Stannis Baratheon or Eddard Stark (my "perfect"  LE, LN and LG)...

Heh, I know it is a stupid way to determine "romansability" but I always use that method to determine if proposed alignment "fit" the NPC. Lol, I have my full set of bright characters to represent alignments  ;)

So are you saying Imoen's character should be changed from NG to CG?

From the way you describe what you think is chaotic, it is generally assumed as neutral, ie you use the laws of soceity when they fit you and dsicard them when they don't (its actualy written in the PHB).

Chaotic people see no use whatsoever in the laws of soeceity and are willing todo whatever reguardless of the consiquences beyond the moment.

Probably a good idea...15 on each...

To me chaotic is simply the ability to disregard the law and look for the ways around every order and act on impulse...anyways, no big deal, but I still cannot very well picture Imoen proper (no matter her alignment, lol) with either Tywin Lannister, Stannis Baratheon or Eddard Stark (my "perfect" LE, LN and LG)...

Yes indeed i can't see her doing so for the epitome of those alignments, but no alignment is a perfect fit for almost everyone, as you have pointed out with Imoen (She is NG, but has many CG tendancies).

Hmm, but if that's the case, maybe paladin's should be taken out also as they would most likely be the epitome of LG, moreso even than a LG monk.

So are you saying Imoen's character should be changed from NG to CG?

Nope, I just say that to me she looks chaotic - or in my memories (I did not play with her...oh, over a year!) she is a chaotic creature. Anyways, some of it may be resolved when you actually write the dialogues - you will feel where paladin-like answer will just break the romance or too evil answer/action will make imoen to go ewww!

Since she is Good, though, an overt act of cruelty should kill the romance if not drive her out of the party altogether.  Siding with the brutish lumberjacks against the dryad of the Cloudpeaks or murdering one of the minions in the Cloakwood mines who surrenders to you (or, worse, drowning all the slaves there) should break the romance or, at the very least, initiate a love talk in which the romance goes !poof! if the player tries to justify the deed according to an Evil alignment.

Yes, definitely. Make the romance open to Evil characters too, but make the romance break with any alignment PC break if they do something bad. I think this is a good idea... ;)

Maybe the same thing could be done with the Dynaheir romance, Domi?

I think I like the idea of closing Dynaheir to evil characters all-together - too difficult to set up and guess in advance what kind of evil person is RP... and because she is a choosy one, and most probably puts goodness in a person above any other quality, so I cannot see a bar for char/int/wis work for her successfully.

I actually am thinking of the break with a CN/Rogue classes instead at some point in romance - when they switch from words to deeds so to speak....

Yes. Imoen is different than the Dynaheir because she's grown up with him and knows they way he acts. And she is a thief so she's not the most moralistic person either.

Hmm...

Perhaps then this:

Rep between 8-16..if it falls below 7, the romance ends, if it goes about 18 it will be set in limbo (imoen would consider an overly good person atleast better than an overly cruel person) or if not i'll raise it to 18 (max u can "bribe" your rep to). Should this be before the romance starts or not though...i mean she'd know you well enough from candlekeep that i can't see it even starting if at any time during the game it reached those points then.

Is it possible to set a flag to end the romance if the pc or anyone attacks a non-hostile humanoid?

Certain other dialogue choices (other than romance choices which can also end it) might also end the romance.

Also minimum Charisma 15, Int 13 or wis 13? She may be a close friend, but that doesn't mean she'd fall for you just because of that.

Archived