Romances in BG1

icelus

Jinnai, I dunno about flagging for killing any non-hostile humanoid creature , but if you write a break-up dialogue it is relatively easy to use it for Imoen to break up with the PC when reputation falls below 8. Anyway, I just want to check that I understood your conditions correctly:

Imoen will romance a male of any race and any walk of life (except the ones of CE and NE alignment) with reputation >8.

If the said male has LE alignment, he needs high charisma+intelligence+wisdom stats to initiate the romance.

Imoen will break up with a PC whose reputation went below 8. If reputation goes above 18, Imoen might have additional talks where PC has to be very clever to keep her.

Err sorry i was in a hurry when i did that.

Here:

For all characters they must have atleast 8 charisma, and either 8 intelligence or 8 wisdom. (You may be her closest friend, but she'd still want you to atleast come close to her minumum standards for a guy to bring the relation to a more romantic level)

Imoen will romance any male meeting the above stats as long as the base rep is <=8 (There will be an immediate cuttoff dialogue if it drops below this for CE and NE).

For said LE character they must have atleast a 12 charisma and atleast 15 in either wis or intellidence.

For any non-evil character if their reputation is >=4 the romance will stop reguardless of any stats.

If your reputation reaches 19 Imoen will have additional talks where PC has to be very clever to keep her (if they don't have good int/wis, ie just the base to start the romance, they will not be able to (the options won't be there)). If it reaches 20, another chat will resume and be all the more harder.

For said situation, paladins may have a tougher time, as may LG clerics

The question is rather would Maid Marian become bored with Robin Hood if he suddeny turned Galahad or Prince Myshkin? Would she rather stay friends or will it only make her more passionate?

I guess Jinnai considers it a viable assumption that Imoen would require an assurance that the guy is still an earthly man. Besides what Jinnai suggests makes romance more involved for a very good character. So I think it is a win-win situation actualy - tries to simulate the complexity of human relationships and gives a player a couple of extra puzzles.

Would Robin Hood (another Good thief) get bored of Maid Marian for being nice to people?

The question is rather would Maid Marian become bored with Robin Hood if he suddeny turned Galahad or Prince Myshkin? Would she rather stay friends or will it only make her more passionate?

I guess Jinnai considers it a viable assumption that Imoen would require an assurance that the guy is still an earthly man. Besides what Jinnai suggests makes romance more involved for a very good character. So I think it is a win-win situation actualy - tries to simulate the complexity of human relationships and gives a player a couple of extra puzzles.

Or maybe it could just make the player insane with the odd way reputation works in the game? I mean the savvy player will just be able to avoid the situations that give them a higher rep. and avoid killing innocents. Still, I rarely go out of my way to be a paragon of virtue when I play, but the game often rewards just doing a task and not being a jerk about it with a high reputation. <_<

I can see an annoyed Imoen teasing the very high rep. leader incessantly, but I agree with Andyr, she is Good. Whatever you think about neutral or chaotic, she's still a good character and they don't hate it when the PC tops out the rep chart. It would be funny though, her soundset is happy, but she dumps you anyway. ;)

That's basically what i mean...she's just wants to make sure the character isn't full of himself and going off on a righteous crusade to get rid of all unlawful and evil, etc type stuff. That he still has a grounding of reality (esp this is true for a paladin which would consider any act of theivery unwarranted, reguardless of the cost, except in the most dire of situations (and then they'd haveto do serious attonement later).

On Coran, I don't think there really needs to be a breakage, just a slight shift in overall direction if he changes alignment, since it would be on the pcs prompting anyways.

On Coran, I don't think there really needs to be a breakage, just a slight shift in overall direction if he changes alignment, since it would be on the pcs prompting anyways.

I would like to have more probability that romance stops in BG1 than for it to be forecasted to continue (because in BG2 Coran is not really in the party). If 2 branches out of 3 ends in break up that's satisfies that condition.

Coran's change to CN will be a strong change, rather than a slight shift - his CN NPC banters already have air of nastiness and forecefullness about them. The way I see it - it defines the difference between "Coran genuily loves every woman who courtes at the moment of courting", to "Coran do not give a damn about anyone and loses the ability to feel "enamoured", he can be only pleased and enjoy the game of conquering". Thus he evolves toward Eldoth-style character who plays the same game, only to make money out of relationships - Coran will not be quite reaching it yet, but on his way there.

Erm...I extensively use "sweetling" in Coran's romance dialogues, and my proof-reader noted that "my sweet" may be a better one for Coran. Since I am an ESL, and my ear can be wrong, which one is the more appropriate?  :blink:

Also will anyone be seriously offended if Coran tells a story about stealing Cattie-Brie's locket? He does end up looking as sheepishly as usual to compensate for Cattie-Brie falling for a silly trick he pulls on her... ;)

It may happen, though it won't be as descriptive as the pcs. Likely only vauge descrptions of a nightmare she can't quite remember, but seems real, if that. She may not have any at all.

I am assuming you're talking about Bhaal inspired dreams.

I looked at the polls, and was surprised to see how many votes are there, shoeing the continuing interest in the topic...

100 vote in "good-neutral female poll

91 vote in "good" male poll

81 vote in "neutral-evil" female poll

69 vote in "neutral-evil" male poll

Hmm... I think we are doing the right thing in developing the romances

The first romance to be included will be Coran's - it's complete now, we are testing out the problems. A small romantic episode and conflict with Coran is possible for Kivan. We are planning to release it as a part of Phase II in September 2004

A nookie is possible with Shar-Teel

- There is no romance with Viconia - a small nookie at some point, but that's it. The current Viconia's Guardian is Andyr

- Imoen's romance is planned and Jinnai will start writing it after she is done with her monumental Imoen's quest in some 5-odd parts smile.gif

- Branwen's romance has first 5 dialogues written (out of 20-25 planned) and has a few flirts written (Jolyth/Tameon)

- Dynaheir's romance has first 7 dialogues written (out of 25 planned) (Domi)

- Ajantis romance outline is submitted with 2 sample dialogues (Jastey/Seifer)

- Xan romance outline is submitted (Ashara)

The tentative release date on Dynaheir's romance is December 2004-January 2005; The state of writing on all other romances does not allow to make a prediction of a release date.

Archived