Code for mod NPCs

By that logic, mods that add BG1 NPCs to BG2 should be lumped together with their BG1 counterparts. After all, according to that school of thought, all players want continuity. So choose once for Kivan and BG1 Kivan and BG2 Kivan get set at once. Ditto Ajantis and Xan.

As I have been saying all along, I am stating my preference, nothing more. Whoever implements the code can do whatever he wants. I can repeat it anoter six times, but my opinion won't change. I want the guys to be included because I would like players to be able to customize the NPCs. If I had my way, they would not lose the ability to choose halfway through the process.

By that logic, mods that add BG1 NPCs to BG2 should be lumped together with their BG1 counterparts. After all, according to that school of thought, all players want continuity. So choose once for Kivan and BG1 Kivan and BG2 Kivan get set at once. Ditto Ajantis and Xan.
So ? They aren't coded that way, because they are mod NPCs, but the vanilla BG1-BG2 NPCs already are coded so that the character uses the same selection in every instant it's encountered. Check the Edwin, Minsc, Imoen, Jaheira, or Viconia...

The mod NPC's should be added, yes.

By that logic, mods that add BG1 NPCs to BG2 should be lumped together with their BG1 counterparts.
You're saying that like it would be a bad thing. Makes sense to me. By the same logic, mods that add SoA NPCs to ToB should be lumped together. And indeed, this is what jcompton plans for Kelsey. Ideally, the mod detects whatever platform you've got and installs the relevant components. Plus it saves the modder time since you've only got one mod to maintain instead of two.
As I have been saying all along, I am stating my preference, nothing more. Whoever implements the code can do whatever he wants. I can repeat it anoter six times, but my opinion won't change. I want the guys to be included because I would like players to be able to customize the NPCs. If I had my way, they would not lose the ability to choose halfway through the process.
In the end, whoever codes it up will do what he wants.
In the end, whoever codes it up will do what he wants.
If it's up to me (and I'm digging up my old code now) I would do what you want with your NPCs, with extreme reluctance and advice against multiple components per NPC. But it's not clear that's what you want, because in this post you say:
Edit: Combined SoA and ToB... why pick everything twice?
So why combine SoA and ToB but not BG1? And indeed, why pick everything twice? It's a lot of effort. But if you're sure...

(shrugs) I guess it doesn't much matter. If most BGT players favor merged components, do that. If somebody wants to separate the merged components, I could always tell them how to do so.

The difference between BG1 and SoA is much more pronounced than the difference between SoA and ToB. That's the reason for my preference, anticipation that there are other players that feel the same way. Of course, that's also the reason I play Tutu/BG2 rather than BGT.

I don't know how this got missed, but Isaya and graoumf have done some work, translating the readme into French and giving some .tp2 suggestions - whichever one of us gets the time to do updates and include/test mod-added NPCs, here is the information:

from Isaya (with much thanks for the reserach)

The item usability patch is not relying on tra files but on checking the language and having the texts to patch or replace with directly in the TP2 file.

In order for the French part to work, the code relative to French language shall be moved out from comments to the effective part of the installation process.

I also suggest updating the current code to what follows, in order to better match the strings to search and replace:

ACTION_IF (~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~FRENCH~) THEN BEGIN

OUTER_SPRINT ~unusability_match~ ~\(Non utilisable par\|Inutilisable par\|Utilisable uniquement par\)~

OUTER_SPRINT ~NOT_USABLE_BY~ ~Non utilisable par :~

OUTER_SPRINT ~NEUTRAL_OR_EVIL~ ~Tout personnage mauvais ou neutre~

OUTER_SPRINT ~DRUID~ ~Druide~

OUTER_SPRINT ~CLERIC~ ~Clerc~

OUTER_SPRINT ~THIEF~ ~Voleur~

OUTER_SPRINT ~FIGHTER~ ~Guerrier~

OUTER_SPRINT ~MAGE~ ~Mage~

OUTER_SPRINT ~BARD~ ~Barde~

END

The "usable only by"/"Unusable by" cases are as numerous as in English, so several matches are required as well. But we don't have any uppercase/lowercase mismatch in French though. :blush:

Move deprecation text ~It's broke.~, in component @300000, to the tra files.

French translation is: ~Ce composant est foireux.~

The text is not currently added in the French tra file, as the string reference to use is unknown (@300002 maybe?).

The working .tp2 including his changes, with my edit of version to avoid confusion:

VERSION ~v1.3fr~ :

French Readme :

French .tra folder :

There's also the spanish tra stuff from Lord Psion (which may have acquired charset issues during a board update).
Yeah, it did. I had grabbed it prior to that, but then I copied it from a Linux to a Windows machine which had the same effect of botching the accented characters. I know marginally enough Spanish to correct it, but since most of these strings appear in the command window, they'll have to be converted again. Luckily, I've got a translation table for that as well:

Win: Ç ü é â ä à å ç ê ë è ï î ì Ä Å
DOS: €  ‚ ƒ „ … † ‡ ˆ ‰ Š ‹ Œ  Ž 

Win: É æ Æ ô ö ò û ù ÿ Ö Ü ¢ £ ¥ Rxƒ
DOS:  ‘ ’ “ †• – — ˜ ™ š › œ  ž Ÿ

Win: á í ó ú ñ Ñ ª ° ¿ r ¬ ½ ¼ ¡ « »
DOS:   ¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ¦ § ¨ © ª « ¬  ­ ® ¯

Despite the "code" tags, that looks better if you copy and paste it into a fixed-width font text editor.

I grabbed the French translation but haven't checked it yet to see if this applies to it also.

There's also the spanish tra stuff from Lord Psion (which may have acquired charset issues during a board update).
Yeah, it did.

Somehow the forum database switched encodings a while back, so old posts are stored in the UTF-8 format and new posts are stored in the ISO-8859-1 format. All pages are displayed in the ISO-8859-1 format, so international characters in new posts look okay, while those in old posts do not. We didn't catch this problem right off the bat, so it might never be fixed, but there is a way to view these old posts the way they are supposed to look.

Your browser should have a way to display a page using a different encoding. In Firefox and IE this can be found in the View -> (Character) Encoding menu. Selecting UTF-8 will allow old posts to be displayed properly (but international characters in new posts will not look right). The change is temporary and won't persist if you navigate to another page.

Guest leahnkain

I am sorry but I would prefer at this time that the CA NPC's are not added to a level 1 NPC mod. Jarno definitely has not asked me for permission to use our NPC's nor would I give it to him at this time. (I did create the majority of CA'S NPC's arrange original art and soundset.)The NPC's are still in development, in the future I am sure I will happily share some of the NPC's but until CA is complete I would like them to stay in CA. Classic Adventures has nothing to do with the Bhaal storyline and a 100% TC most of the NPC's would not easily fit into the Bhaal storyline.

I am sorry but I would prefer at this time that the CA NPC's are not added to a level 1 NPC mod. Jarno definitely has not asked me for permission to use our NPC's nor would I give it to him at this time. (I did create the majority of CA'S NPC's arrange original art and soundset.)The NPC's are still in development, in the future I am sure I will happily share some of the NPC's but until CA is complete I would like them to stay in CA. Classic Adventures has nothing to do with the Bhaal storyline and a 100% TC most of the NPC's would not easily fit into the Bhaal storyline.

Let me reassure you. This mod does not change storylines or move characters into the standard BG2 plot against their will, nothing like that. This mod allows you to change the class of existing npcs in your own game to better fit your own conception of them.

Does that help?

Guest leahnkain

Let me reassure you. This mod does not change storylines or move characters into the standard BG2 plot against their will, nothing like that. This mod allows you to change the class of existing npcs in your own game to better fit your own conception of them.

Does that help?

It does and I would prefer that CA is not included. I confirmed with SBB that Jarno has received no such permission to offer our NPC's. We are still modifying NPC's as we go along. At this time I kindly ask to not include Classic Adventures. As a total conversion which is in development I can say I would prefer to finish writing the NPC's before letting people have a mod which can alter NPC's which are still being developed. I also hope the mod's author would have contacted either SBB or myself at spellholdstudios. It seems strange that Jarno can offer permission to alter the CA NPC's (which is one of the most active mods)when really the author of the mod should be the one contacting us to confirm this is ok. It was only by chance I found this out and the CA Team would really like to know who is doing what to CA because we are doing active bug hunting and something like this could make finding errors in CA a lot harder.

So basically this is a lie that has gone unheeded for over a year?

And yes, I have asked, and Sir BillyBob said we can make L1NPCs able to modify the CA's characters within CA.
Would've been nice to have caught it back then, but I guess it's far easier not to include code to support a whole slew of NPCs than to write the code to support them.

[Edit: that post is above, by the way.]

Edited by Miloch
At this time I kindly ask to not include Classic Adventures. As a total conversion which is in development I can say I would prefer to finish writing the NPC's before letting people have a mod which can alter NPC's which are still being developed.

That's fair. Thanks for the note. :beer: