Widescreen Mod v0.8 works with BG1(No ToTSC) & EasyTutu Installed

Guest Apheon

Guest Apheon

Hi all,

Let me start by saying I have a Hanns-G 22" 1680x1050 widescreen monitor anything less than that resolution and everything looks pixelated in the extreme. I have BG2: SoA already in widescreen because I used v0.8 on it even before Easy Tutu was installed.

Im not sure if anyone has tried this before me but I was really wanting to play Baldurs Gate from the very begining in widescreen. At first I didnt think it would work mainly because Wide mod v1 gave me an incompatibility message and failed. However when I went to my BG2 directory where I had version 0.8 I thought to myself I should give it a spin worst that can happen I have to reinstall. Much to my surprise it worked! I will outline what steps I took below that allowed me to accomplish it.

- I had Baldurs Gate 2 fully installed and had already used WS mod v0.8 with the WeiDU beta version.

-I fully installed Baldurs Gate 1.

-I installed Easy Tutu and Tutufix v18.

-I then tried v1(which didnt work) and realized I still had version 0.8 and just to warn ya I did get a few error messages, but it worked without hitch ingame.

*Im mainly posting this to share with others and to thank The Bigg for not leaving us all in Huge Screen Hell. Thanks and goodluck to all.

Guest Apheon

Just for reference but I do have BG1 and Easy Tutu installed in seperate directories as to preserve my bg1 install. If anyone has questions I will try to keep an eye on this thread\forum. Also I dont have any expansions for BG1 or BG2.

Easytutu is the same thing as Tutu (not a different mod), which is the same thing as BG2 vanilla with regards to WSM. Whatever the reason of the hiccup, it's likely it's not the version bump in WSM (the EXE patching code didn't change).

Can you post the exact warnings you got? Also, did you install the latest patch for SoA? Does it work if you hide the left and/or the right GUI tab, or you change the size of the bottom bar?

Finally, be advised that I don't have SoA installed and thus I'm just working blindly.

Yep I know easytutu\tutu are the same thing and that tutu is basically the BG2 engine but figured maybe better to be specific. Both BG1 and 2 were patched to the latest version before I installed tutu or the WSM. Just a sec ill put the exact errors I got with v0.8.

Edit:I havent tried to hide any of the GUI elements. I have played past candlekeep didnt notice anything unusual other than the continue button being slightly offcenter.

Here is my debug log from using it:

WeiDU v 20223 Log

widescreen\weidu-202-23.exe widescreen\widescreen.tp2 --log SETUP-WIDESCREEN.DEBUG --tlkout dialog.tlk --ftlkout dialogF.tlk --noautoupdate

[./CHITIN.KEY] loaded, 595666 bytes

[./CHITIN.KEY] 275 BIFFs, 41929 resources

[./DIALOG.TLK] loaded, 9929792 bytes

[./DIALOG.TLK] 77186 string entries

[./Autorun.ini] loaded, 1861 bytes

[./baldur.ini] loaded, 2661 bytes

Possible HD/CD Path: [d:\games\BaldursGate EasyTutu\]

Possible HD/CD Path: [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD1\]

Possible HD/CD Path: [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD2\]

Possible HD/CD Path: [d:\games\BaldursGate EasyTutu\CD2\]

Possible HD/CD Path: [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD3\]

Possible HD/CD Path: [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD4\]

[./Keymap.ini] loaded, 8716 bytes

[widescreen\weidu-202-23.exe] Using scripting style "BG"

[dialog.tlk] claims to be writeable.

[dialog.tlk] claims to be a regular file.

Would you like to display the readme? [Y]es [N]o

WIDESCREEN\WIDESCREEN.TP2 0 0 Installed

Install Component [Widescreen mod]?

[R]e-Install, [N]o Change or ninstall or [Q]uit?

Removing old installation of [Widescreen mod] first ...

uninstall: widescreen\widescreen.tp2 0

[widescreen/backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found

Will uninstall 24 files for [WIDESCREEN\WIDESCREEN.TP2] component 0.

Restoring backed-up [widescreen/backup/0/baldur.ini]

widescreen/backup/0/baldur.ini copied to baldur.ini, 2660 bytes

Restoring backed-up [widescreen/backup/0/bgmain.exe]

widescreen/backup/0/bgmain.exe copied to bgmain.exe, 7417902 bytes

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD4\/MOVIES/MOVCD3.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD3\/MOVIES/MOVCD3.BIF]

[D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD3\/MOVIES/MOVCD3.BIF] 6967442 bytes, 1 files, 0 tilesets

Uninstalled 24 files for [WIDESCREEN\WIDESCREEN.TP2] component 0.

SUCCESSFULLY REMOVED OLD [Widescreen mod]

Installing [Widescreen mod]

Enter your X coordinate. It should be a number, >= 800.

Enter your Y coordinate. It should be a number, >= 600.

Do you want fullscreen? (doesn't work for non-standard resolutions)

1 = yes

0 = no

1680x1050, fullscreen.

Are you sure? Y/N

Copying and patching 1 file ...

[baldur.ini] loaded, 2660 bytes

baldur.ini copied to widescreen/backup/0/baldur.ini, 2660 bytes

Copied [baldur.ini] to [baldur.ini]

[bgmain.exe] loaded, 7417902 bytes

Offset 206107 was 1680, should be 1024.

Report success or failure of mode setting to The Bigg.

Offset 206921 was 1050, should be 768.

Offset 206960 was 1616, should be 960.

Offset 207046 was 1616, should be 960.

Offset 207133 was 1616, should be 960.

Offset 207220 was 1616, should be 960.

Offset 207306 was 1616, should be 960.

Offset 207393 was 1616, should be 960.

Offset 206970 was 960, should be 678.

Offset 207056 was 768, should be 486.

Offset 207143 was 896, should be 614.

Offset 207230 was 911, should be 629.

Offset 207316 was 940, should be 658.

Offset 207403 was 804, should be 522.

Offset 206067 was 1680, should be 1280.

bgmain.exe copied to widescreen/backup/0/bgmain.exe, 7417902 bytes

Copied [bgmain.exe] to [bgmain.exe]

Copying and patching 2 files ...

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD4\/DATA/GUICHUI.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD3\/DATA/GUICHUI.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [d:\games\BaldursGate EasyTutu\CD2\/DATA/GUICHUI.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD2\/DATA/GUICHUI.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD1\/DATA/GUICHUI.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [d:\games\BaldursGate EasyTutu\/DATA/GUICHUI.BIF]

[d:\games\BaldursGate EasyTutu\/DATA/GUICHUI.BIF] 158458 bytes, 27 files, 0 tilesets

Copied [guiw10.chu] to [override/guiw10.chu]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD4\/DATA/GUIMOSC.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD3\/DATA/GUIMOSC.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [d:\games\BaldursGate EasyTutu\CD2\/DATA/GUIMOSC.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD2\/DATA/GUIMOSC.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD1\/DATA/GUIMOSC.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [d:\games\BaldursGate EasyTutu\/DATA/GUIMOSC.BIF]

[d:\games\BaldursGate EasyTutu\/DATA/GUIMOSC.BIF] 46478937 bytes, 353 files, 0 tilesets

Copied [GUIWLSP0.mos] to [override/GUIWLSP0.mos]

Copied [GUIOLSP0.mos] to [override/GUIOLSP0.mos]

Copied [GUIWRLP0.mos] to [override/GUIWRLP0.mos]

[./override/GUIWRLP0.mos] loaded, 23800 bytes

Copied [GUIWRLP0.mos] to [override/GUIWRLP0.mos]

Copied [GUIWTPP0.mos] to [override/GUIWTPP0.mos]

Copied [GUWBTP10.mos] to [override/GUWBTP10.mos]

Copied [GUWBTP20.mos] to [override/GUWBTP20.mos]

Copied [GUWBTP30.mos] to [override/GUWBTP30.mos]

Copied [GMPWMSG0.mos] to [override/GMPWMSG0.mos]

[./override/GUWBTP10.mos] loaded, 103380 bytes

Copied [GUWBTP10.mos] to [override/GUWBTP10.mos]

Copied [GUIWDMB0.mos] to [override/GUIWDMB0.mos]

Copied [GUICHTB0.mos] to [override/GUICHTB0.mos]

Copied [GUIWDSL0.mos] to [override/GUIWDSL0.mos]

[./override/GUIWDSL0.mos] loaded, 509208 bytes

Copied [GMWMSGA0.mos] to [override/GMWMSGA0.mos]

Copied [GUDEATH0.mos] to [override/GUDEATH0.mos]

Copied [GMPWBTP0.mos] to [override/GMPWBTP0.mos]

[./override/GUIWDMB0.mos] loaded, 238656 bytes

Copied [GUIWDMB0.mos] to [override/GUIWDMB0.mos]

Copied [GUWPKPC0.mos] to [override/GUWPKPC0.mos]

Copied [GWCONTB0.mos] to [override/GWCONTB0.mos]

Copied [GMWMSGB0.mos] to [override/GMWMSGB0.mos]

[./override/GUWBTP30.mos] loaded, 509208 bytes

Copied [GUWBTP30.mos] to [override/GUWBTP30.mos]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD4\/DATA/HD0GMOSC.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD3\/DATA/HD0GMOSC.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [d:\games\BaldursGate EasyTutu\CD2\/DATA/HD0GMOSC.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD2\/DATA/HD0GMOSC.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [D:\Games\Baldurs Gate II SoA\CD1\/DATA/HD0GMOSC.BIF]

BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [d:\games\BaldursGate EasyTutu\/DATA/HD0GMOSC.BIF]

[d:\games\BaldursGate EasyTutu\/DATA/HD0GMOSC.BIF] 1406803 bytes, 12 files, 0 tilesets

Copied [ston10t.mos] to [override/ston10t.mos]

Copied [ston10b.mos] to [override/ston10b.mos]

Copied [ston10r.mos] to [override/ston10r.mos]

Copied [ston10l.mos] to [override/ston10l.mos]

Saving This Log:

WIDESCREEN\WIDESCREEN.TP2 0 0 Permanently_Uninstalled

WIDESCREEN\WIDESCREEN.TP2 0 0 Installed ~Widescreen mod~

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Widescreen mod

WeiDU Timings

parsing .tp files 0.000

unmarshal BIFF 0.000

READ_* 0.000

load TLK 0.000

LAUNCH_ACTION_MACRO 0.000

DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO 0.000

ACTION_PHP_EACH 0.000

OUTER_SPRINT 0.000

DEFINE_ACTION_MACRO 0.000

OUTER_SET 0.000

parsing .log files 0.000

PATCH_IF 0.000

parsing .tpa files 0.000

BUT_ONLY 0.000

OUTER_INNER_PATCH 0.000

INCLUDE 0.000

tp2 uninstall 0.015

unmarshal KEY 0.047

saving files 0.061

eval_pe 0.078

COPY 0.108

unmarshal TLK 0.125

loading files 0.155

stuff not covered elsewhere 5.594

process_patch2 22.051

TOTAL 28.234

Yeah that one is my fault as I just installed it a 2nd time and tried to copy\paste the errors rather than using the debug log we were given so that was my bad. :suspect:

Edit: None the less I hope it helps in someway. If theres anything I could do to help just ask. Im just glad it works because playing BG in huge pixelated form is rough and grainy:)

Yeah that one is my fault as I just installed it a 2nd time and tried to copy\paste the errors rather than using the debug log we were given so that was my bad. :suspect:

It uninstalls itself prior to reinstalling, so that's not the problem. The problem is that you installed (and not uninstalled) WSM prior to installing E22, hence the game executable in E22 was already patched. WSM 0.8 whined but still installed when the game executable was invalid (such as already WSM patched), whereas WSM 1 simply stops.

In the interest of being clear, when I tried WSM v1 before I ever tried v0.8 on TuTuBG1, WSM v1 never patched any files and just said it was incompatible and that it had failed. I had tried to play the game before I installed v0.8 and it wasnt in widescreen despite the fact that the BG2 version it drew the files from were patched. It was only in Widescreen after I had used v0.8.

OK, you managed to convince me to download E22 and check its code. I'll be back soon with firm belief, but for now answer this question: was WSM installed on your SoA game when you installed E22, or did you uninstall it?

Yes WSM v0.8(I never used v1 on BG2:SoA) was installed on BG2:SoA before I installed BG1 and Tutu. After installing BG1, then Tutu, then Tutu fix v18, I then tried to install WSMv1 which failed\incompatible.

I tried to play TutuBG1 for a few mins but it was in 800x600 resolution and looked really crappy so I then copied WSM v0.8 into the tutu directory and ran it and then played the game and found that it had worked.

Lets see if I understand clearly what your saying. So you are saying that:

If I had uninstalled WSM v0.8 off BG2:SoA that WSM v1 would have worked without hitch on my plain BG1 with Tutu installation?

Im not here trying to make you second guess your work. Was just hoping that this would be a valid workaround for those that dont have Tales of the Sword Coast installed as I noticed that plain old BG1 was not on your list as being able to be in Widescreen.

Edit: Just tested hiding the GUI on BG1 w/Tutu and it worked normally. The only odd thing Ive noticed so far is the continue\end dialog button at the bottom of conversations is slightly off-center. If theres anything else youd like me to try\test just ask.

- Currently Im running:

Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe motherboard

Intel 3.0gHz Hyperthreading processor

(2x 512mb) 1gb DDR2 800mhz ram

Hanns-G 22" WS LCD monitor w/ HDMI & DVI ports

Nvidia 7950gt w/ 512mb Vram

Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum

Windows XP - SP 2

All drivers and Bios fully updated

&

Baldurs Gate 1(english version) No expansions w/ Tutu & Widescreen mod v0.8

Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of Amn(english version) No Expansions w/ Widescreen mod v0.8

No other mods than what is listed.

If I had uninstalled WSM v0.8 off BG2:SoA that WSM v1 would have worked without hitch on my plain BG1 with Tutu installation?

Im not here trying to make you second guess your work. Was just hoping that this would be a valid workaround for those that dont have Tales of the Sword Coast installed as I noticed that plain old BG1 was not on your list as being able to be in Widescreen.

Yeah, pretty much :suspect:

Edit: Just tested hiding the GUI on BG1 w/Tutu and it worked normally. The only odd thing Ive noticed so far is the continue\end dialog button at the bottom of conversations is slightly off-center. If theres anything else youd like me to try\test just ask.

Yes, I'm aware of this. One of these lifes I'll remember to add code to center things rather than align them to the right.

Yeah, pretty much :suspect:

Yes, I'm aware of this. One of these lifes I'll remember to add code to center things rather than align them to the right.

Ahh I see! Thanks for the clarification. Im not too worried about the button being off-center as it dont bug me in the slightest. Only reason I didnt do it that way is because I didnt find any info saying that it would work with a BG1(english version) only with the UK version but perhaps I was just looking in the wrong place.

Also since WSM v1 likely contains a few bugfixes and due to my improper installation do you think I'll have any problems in-game and should I reinstall Tutu & WSM v1 after uninstalling v0.8 from BG2:SoA just to be safe?

Thanks again for the Mod and the help!

Archived