Replacing WTASIGHT

I just noticed this little bit in the v5 readme:

We now revert some creatures (who shouldn't get advanced AI) to the vanilla WTASIGHT (et al) rather than whatever mod-altered version was there

I was wondering what creatures are affected? Golems per chance? Also, I presume that this doesn't affect custom (mod) creatures, right?

I just noticed this little bit in the v5 readme:

We now revert some creatures (who shouldn't get advanced AI) to the vanilla WTASIGHT (et al) rather than whatever mod-altered version was there

I was wondering what creatures are affected? Golems per chance? Also, I presume that this doesn't affect custom (mod) creatures, right?

Short answer: no interesting creatures, and no mod creatures; the full list is at scsii/genai/oldfile.2da.

Long answer: It's not quite what you think. The core combat scripts (WTASIGHT etc) are given to thousands of core-game creatures, including lots who don't have any prospect of getting into combat but are only there to relay a message, die as part of a cutscene, or the like. This doesn't matter if they're using the vanilla-game version of WTASIGHT, but it can occasionally lead to oddities if they're using an advanced version (esp. one that generates and uses potions).

So SCSII maintains a list of creatures that get WTASIGHT replaced by "dw#oldwt" (and similarly for the other four core scripts). It's fairly short (and probably incomplete) and is at scsii/genai/oldfile.2da (a macro picks it up and does the actual substitution).

Originally, "dw#oldwt" was a copy of whatever version of WTASIGHT was in the override file before installing SCSII. This seemed conceptually the cleanest solution: SCSII would just not modify the combat scripts of that list of creatures.

However, in practice other mods that modify WTASIGHT probably should have been doing the same thing as I was. Notably, Quest Pack gives its new version of WTASIGHT to everyone, so SCSII was leaving that version of WTASIGHT on the creatures in oldfile.2da. That in turn led to bug reports that got attributed to SCSII. (The clearest example is Viekang the teleporting Bhaalspawn, who drank healing potions). So I thought the simplest thing to do was revert those creatures back to the vanilla WTASIGHT instead. (I could as easily have stripped it off entirely.)

Archived