[IWD1] Bow Proficiency and TweakPack Upgrade

Guest clippertm

Guest clippertm

Dear All,

I am currently using the Icewind Dale 1 Tweak Pack v7.

How to upgrade to v10?

(I want to properly uninstall v7 and properly install v10, I do not want conflicting installations)

Also, in game I have a dual class character (fighter lvl 14 mage lvl 14).

The tweaks that allows multi-class character to use any weapon and level up their weapon proficiencies to 5 are installed.

The character has 5 stars in Great Swords, and 3 in Bows.

I have a new point to distribute, but cannot upgrade Bows to 4, I can only distribute the point in some other weapon (which i don't want).

This is strange because another multi class character (fighter 14 cleric 14), who has 5 points in axes, could distribute the point in missile weapons and get 4...

Guest clippertm
That's because in IWD1 you can't put more than 3 proficiency points in bows and crossbows.

Why can I put 5 in missile weapons then?

This is very strange...

That's because in IWD1 you can't put more than 3 proficiency points in bows and crossbows.

This is very strange...

The number of points allowed is found in the profsmax.2da file. This is the file altered by the tweak pack.

It's possible you've found a hard-coded limitation, as I found with BG1 and paladin spell access at 9th level...

Try creating another character, CLUA to the required XP, and see if the same problem is encountered.

Try with both a F/M and F/T, and a F/C if you have the Loosen Multi- and Dual- Class Druid and Cleric Restrictions tweak also installed. This should also verify if it's limited to just one or if it's across the board.

...I have no idea how to do what you request :suspect::blush:;)

All IE games have a Debug (Cheat) Console with the exception of Planescape: Torment. You have to add the command to access it, however.

In your main game directory you'll find a file named Icewind.ini.

Create a backup of this file, just in case...

Open the file in any text editor (Notepad, Wordpad, etc...).

Under the [Game Options] section add this line exactly as it is here:

Cheats=1

Save the file and close the text editor.

Now, when playing the game hit [CTRL]+[TAB] and the console window will open below the information window.

If you only have Icewind Dale installed, type (again exactly as shown):

CHEATERSDOPROSPER:SetCurrentXP(xxxxxx)

If you have Heart of Winter installed, replace CHEATERSDOPROSPER with GETYOURCHEATON. If you want to know what other codes are available for the cheat console, I believe IESDP lists the main ones. A lot of IE game sites have them as well.

This is very strange...

You could always check the manual you know? Look at the proficiencies table. You can't put more than 3 in crossbows and bows, but you can put 5 in missiles. I think is hardcoded that way.

Guest Guest

Grogerson,

Thank you, I will try.

Redrake,

Sorry I do not have the manual right now, only the pdf version of HoW which does not say much. I have added a point in bow using DaleKeeper (they have now 4 points). Do you know if it will have any effect on the game, if my characters are not supposed to have more than 3 points in bow?

I'm not sure if anyone's done any testing on this.

It will probably depend on how the engine handles it. If it's hardcoded not to allow more than 3 points in bow/X-bow, the game may crash. It may also do nothing at all, read an illegal value and assume that you have zero in that profociency, or actually apply the bonuses of four and five proficiency points.

Guest clippertm
I'm not sure if anyone's done any testing on this.

It will probably depend on how the engine handles it. If it's hardcoded not to allow more than 3 points in bow/X-bow, the game may crash. It may also do nothing at all, read an illegal value and assume that you have zero in that profociency, or actually apply the bonuses of four and five proficiency points.

Grogerson,

Leveling up this way did not allow me to put more than 3.

BigRob,

So far it does not crash.

How can anyone test if it does add bonuses or not?

Probably the simplest way would be to look at your number of attacks with the bow equipped and check it against your base. I'm not exactly sure how the proficiencies work in IWD1, but 4 and 5 stars should give you additional attacks per round, though they may also give bonuses to hit/damage, so also comparing to your THAC0 would be good.

If you have a save with 3 stars available for the same character to compare against, that would be best.

Archived