Annoying "following" behaviour

coaster

David,

Just a bit more feedback on SCS.

There seems to be some hostile creatures who follow you around and stand around you, even if you are entirely invisible/non-detectable. The two ambushing parties (Lamalha & co and Molkar & co) and the end-game gang of Sarevok & co all appear to have the uncanny ability to follow an invisible PC wherever he goes. I've noticed this behaviour in certain enemies in other mods (Improved Battles and Improved Anvil to name but two).

Is this intentional? It is a severe nerf of the power of invisibility, but seems very unrealistic (and violates the idea running through most of SCS1/2 that enemies play by the rules - my character certainly can't follow around invisible enemies at will).

Cheers

coaster

No, it's certainly not intentional (well, not in SCS I or II).

It tends to happen because certain creatures, who aren't supposed to lose track of the PC, have some instruction like "if you can't see the PC, move towards them"... with obvious problems in case of invisibility. There are less lazy ways to do it which avoid the problem; I obviously got careless in a few cases.

OK, thanks - I wasn't sure if the idea was that some creatures could "hear your footsteps" and follow you when invisible :suspect:

If you do decide to revisit this issue, I think those three are the only cases I've come across (I think most other creatures move to where the PC last was when they became invisible; that seems much more true-to-life). Alternatively, some kind of random search behaviour (moving back and forth around a point where the PC was last seen) would be even better...I have no idea how difficult it is to code though :blush:

I actually got this a lot during my solo Assassin run. Just about every major battle had this happen. It is especially annoying with enemy Thieves, as they go invisible, follow you and then Backstab you. Eventually I got wise and used it to my advantage. I had most of SCS installed (except Improved Chapter End fights, Final Battle, Durlag's, Werewolf Isle, and the Assassins hunt you components) and the only major opponent that didn't chase me was the Demonknight, but I probably broke his script by going invisible before his spell was cast anyway.

If that MoveTo were not there, it would be worse, much worse. Is an scripting suboptimal resource to avoid some foolishness behaviours from the CPU creatures, like become "paralyzed" when blinded, or lost your track & do nothing when you attack out of sight after the initial clash or retreat/run away too quickly after being persecuted, or...

Archived