Suggestion for mage component

Guest Loz

Guest Guest

Thanks for the advice, Wisp and DavidW. I'll have a good look through the SCS and SCS II readmes when I get enough time, and will ask here if there are any other components that I'm not sure about using.

From a role playing perspective, how long should you realistically wait before going to Spellhold? And is there a minimum recommended party level (assuming 6 party members) for going there?

Also, do the SCS/SCS II AI packages allow you to have certain characters switch between ranged and melee weapons automatically i.e. they'll use their ranged weapons to fire off a shot or two and then switch to melee once the enemy gets close? This would be really useful for me, as it would remove a lot of micro management and make my front liners fight in the most efficient manner.

From a role playing perspective, how long should you realistically wait before going to Spellhold? And is there a minimum recommended party level (assuming 6 party members) for going there?

I guess that depends on how much you care for Imoen.

Generally speaking, most people do as much as they can in chapter 2 before moving on to chapter 3 and 4 (Spellhold). Having just gone through Spellhold and the subsequent parts of the game with a low level party, I'd probably recommend being at least level 14-15 before going to Spellhold. 'Course, I could be way off, there.

I've also been wondering why more mages don't buff themselves with spell shield. In my opinion this would make them alot more difficult as it would require more than just a single spell strike to remove all their protections. Particuarly the high level mages would benefit from this, in many situations i think it would be more useful than spell immunity. The buff is also quite long duration. Also a spell trigger half way through the battle including like spell shield spell deflection and pro magic weapons would pretty much set the party back to square one and get the mage out of a tight spot. Just thinking what i'd do if i was a mage in the game :laugh:.

I've also been wondering why more mages don't buff themselves with spell shield. In my opinion this would make them alot more difficult as it would require more than just a single spell strike to remove all their protections. Particuarly the high level mages would benefit from this, in many situations i think it would be more useful than spell immunity. The buff is also quite long duration.

The main reason I don't use it is that I think the spell is a bit erratic... in testing, quite often I found that even once I'd ruby-rayed someone with Spell Shield, he was still shielded.

Also a spell trigger half way through the battle including like spell shield spell deflection and pro magic weapons would pretty much set the party back to square one and get the mage out of a tight spot. Just thinking what i'd do if i was a mage in the game :laugh:.

I do do that, but I should probably do it more.

There's a global problem with how the engine handles applying a "decrement immunity by type" effect to an actor with a "decrementing immunity to type" where the types are the same.

We'll never get Spell Shield to work perfectly without hacking the .exe :laugh:

Archived