Can't find gemrb.ini running precompiled Linux 0.3.0

JPL

Hi folks. After some unsuccessful attempts getting the 0.3.0 source running in Linux (Ubuntu 7.10), I downloaded the precompiled version from the SF page. I didn't find any instructions for installing from the archive, so I just put it in $HOME/gemrb.

I set up a $HOME/.gemrb/gemrb.cfg and pointed it to where my game files (torment) were, but the problem I can't seem to solve no matter what paths I specify in gemrb.cfg is this:

[KEYImporter]: Opening /home/jpl/torment/CHITIN.KEY...[OK]
[KEYImporter]: Checking file type...[OK]
[KEYImporter]: Reading Resources...
[KEYImporter]:  BIF Files Count: 372 (Starting at 24 Bytes)
[KEYImporter]:  RES Count: 12135 (Starting at 8759 Bytes)
[KEYImporter]: Resources Loaded...[OK]
[Core]: Reading Game Options...
[KEYImporter]: Searching for gemrb.ini...[ERROR]
[ERROR]
Cannot Load INI
Termination in Progress...
[KEYImporter]: Searching for defsound.2da...[ERROR]

The only gemrb.ini I can find is in $HOME/gemrb/share/gemrb/override, and I have my GemRBOverridePath set to this in the cfg. What could I be doing wrong? I've tried sooo many permutations, even going so far as to mirror everything to /usr/local (as if it were installed conventionally). Nothing.

GemRB seems like a sweet project and I can't wait to try it out but it seems pretty touchy about where it loads files from.

you can check where it is looking with strace:

strace gemrb 2>&1 | grep gemrb.ini

#####################################################

# GemRB Data Override Path [string] #

# #

# This is the path where GemRB looks for the GemRB #

# data override directory. #

# #

# You probably do NOT want to specify this! #

#####################################################

So make sure you set it to the parent dir, not something/override.

Aha, thanks for the tip on strace... I was able to correct the path easily with that.

The gemrb override path entry is normally not needed. If you specify it, specify it without the /override part.

What are the normal circumstances for a precompiled linux build then? Where should I unpack the archive to? I only started specifying paths because it couldn't find anything when I first ran the binary.

Archived