Questions about v3

Kulyok

Well, think about it. If you've got an SoA game going, and plan to go on to ToB, and want the Valygar romance to carry over from SoA, not only will you have to install Xan, you're going to have to play the bonded romance. No other way you're going to be able to use the same character you used in SoA and have all the conditions set up for Valygar's romance to kick off in ToB. Even then, he's going to spend a fair amount of time talking about your grief over losing Xan.

Like it or not, RE is now promoting Xan. Apart from the fact that I resent anything pushed on me whether I want it or not, I don't think RE should be in the business of advertising. It started out as a fun thing, a lighthearted way to have a little more fun in BG2. It makes me sad to see it turning into just another kind of infomercial.*

I'd rather have my Valygar romance straight, thanks. I sincerely hope Corthala Romantique makes it.

Edit: The point of this post is to say that the Xan Romance and RE should be kept separate. If this Valygar romance is Part 1 of the Valygar romance in Xan, then this should go in Xan, not RE.

* For those of you who have never turned on the television during times when no programs are scheduled, "infomercials" are semi-entertaining, semi-educational skits designed to sell products. They can run up to half an hour in length, and can be quite deceptive until you get to the sales pitch. You think you've turned on a show, and there at the end, prominent product placement, and everybody starts talking about how thus-and-so changed their lives. Blech.

Well, think about it. If you've got an SoA game going, and plan to go on to ToB, and want the Valygar romance to carry over from SoA, not only will you have to install Xan, you're going to have to play the bonded romance. No other way you're going to be able to use the same character you used in SoA and have all the conditions set up for Valygar's romance to kick off in ToB. Even then, he's going to spend a fair amount of time talking about your grief over losing Xan.

Like it or not, RE is now promoting Xan. Apart from the fact that I resent anything pushed on me whether I want it or not, I don't think RE should be in the business of advertising. It started out as a fun thing, a lighthearted way to have a little more fun in BG2. It makes me sad to see it turning into just another kind of infomercial.*

I'd rather have my Valygar romance straight, thanks. I sincerely hope Corthala Romantique makes it.

Edit: The point of this post is to say that the Xan Romance and RE should be kept separate. If this Valygar romance is Part 1 of the Valygar romance in Xan, then this should go in Xan, not RE.

* For those of you who have never turned on the television during times when no programs are scheduled, "infomercials" are semi-entertaining, semi-educational skits designed to sell products. They can run up to half an hour in length, and can be quite deceptive until you get to the sales pitch. You think you've turned on a show, and there at the end, prominent product placement, and everybody starts talking about how thus-and-so changed their lives. Blech.

I don't think we have infomercials here -- if we do, thankfully I keep missing them :)

As for your points, fair enough. I thought that although the components (Valygar Encounter and Valygar-Xan content) worked together, they were equally as able to be used as solo stuff. But since I'm not involved in them, I can't really comment further, except to say that I didn't see it as a big problem, though (as I said) that's just my view, and as I'm not a modder, I probably don't see things from all the angles that there are.

Ultimately this was developed to be a bit of fun, and I don't like it when things get heavy :(

Gasp! :)

Heh.

Your honor, I'd like to submit Evidence A to the court as support for my case. :(

I don't see any point, to be honest. It is not a full romance per se(i.e. you take a character and think "Man, we need to develop a relationship! Yes, a quarrel here, first kiss there... right, I want to explore this side of a character...") neither it is a friendship, though it has elements of both; rather, a string of visions I had while I was waiting. Which is why it is an encounter rather than a full romance; you'll see, if you play the mod.

Well, yeah. But if you make it a separate one, you'll probably have to add content, so I'm ¿subtly? pushing towards that.

Romantic Encounters...

... now with the Valygar Romance!*

*Requires the Xan mod to complete the romance. Get your copy today at PPG.

That's exactly what I mean. I were interested in such an expansion for Valygar (and I am), I'd have to install both of those (I already have RE, but that's irrelevant to this point) and play through the bonded path in order to see it. The fact that one is supposed to continue the other only makes it worse. Even if not a "proper" romance and/or friendship, I'd be more inclined to play it if it were a separate mod; that way, it's more practical and easier. Would mean work for you, though. :(

I know there's Corthala Romantique lying around somewhere, but IIRC that's indefeninitely on hold, and this one is already done if I understand correctly, even if it's 'short' for the usual standars.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, even if you're not planning on adding extra content to it, please consider the possibility of making it available by itself (or in a single package somewhere else, like in RE).

Well, yeah. But if you make it a separate one, you'll probably have to add content, so I'm ¿subtly? pushing towards that.

No, no, the content which is already in RE is a standalone Valygar Romance; it is wholesome, it tells the story, and it doesn't require anything else, which is the point. You don't have to install Xan or whatsoever to complete it - after you've had the last SoA lovetalk, you will most likely say: "Yes, it is complete".

Valygar ToB sequence in Xan's bonded path tells another story. I, as the author of both, easily view these sequences as continuation of each other. I may just limit myself to SoA sequence and say I am done, depending on the mood and installation order. You want more Valygar content by the same author? It can be found over there, but it's specific. Otherwise, congratulations, you are done with Valygar romance. That's as straight as I can put it, I guess.

Aaand, yes, I think I'd rather exclude the Xan line from the Readme. Just, you know, in case.
It was misleading, sounding like the SoA Valygar romance would be really continued in ToB for Xan bonded path. I never understood it that way, though, since I think it's kind of... stupid to tell the player to play another romance (best from BG1 on) to have their romance interest in ToB. I read it as "if you want Valygar romantic ontent in ToB from the same author, try the other mod", and in this case "advertizing" didn't disturb me that much.

Just wanted to add my 2c, albeit a bit late.

Sure: it's longer than Xan's or Angelo's or Solaufein's, but shorter than Kelsey's or Viconia's or Jaheira's. Like I said earlier, there are twenty lovetalks, four of them very short, and two - just one-liners(but each conveys a message).

If you'd like a preview of sorts, here it is(or you could sign up and request a copy for playtesting, if you prefer :) ).

Guest jastey*

20 LT? That sounds big. A question concerning the Valygar romance: Will it be included into CMB romance conflicts, or does every NPC modder have to include conflicts via the RE variables like for the other encounters?

If the former, are NPC modders free to write their conflict banters without your consent?

Of course, as per RE readme. Including and not limited to stealing the strawberries. :)

It doesn't go "committed" or "exclusive", so it doesn't go as far as to kill other romances, and as such, I don't see the need for CBP conflicts. Take a look at the package: you'll see how it goes.

You don't have to be - you have the access, after all. :)

@the_Bigg: I think it's an evolution of "The way to a (wo)man's heart is through (her)his stomach", which is, of course, very wrong - when one isn't hungry. But when one is!

Archived