Tweaking Fixpacks?

CBGB

Two questions:

- How does G3 feel about (personal - not uploaded) changes to their (excellent!) Fixpack?

I'm of the view that in a single-player game, do whatever makes the game more fun for you. But I also want to treat someone else's work with respect, and if altering bothers them, I won't do it.

The change I'd like to make is to remove the block of 'Immortal Imoen' in Irenicus' Dungeon. Like a lot of players, I enjoy the rest of BG2 more than the dungeon, but I like seeing the story points, so I don't want to skip it.

Here's the code from the Fixpack:

// close exploit of forcing imoen to rejoin in CI when trying to run away

ADD_TRANS_ACTION IMOENP

BEGIN 3 END

BEGIN END

~SetInterrupt(FALSE) DialogInterrupt(FALSE)~

If G3 doesn't mind (personal) changes to their Fixpack, then the second question is... is it even possible to remove that code?

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish? That patch doesn't actually do anything, because the dialogue action is uninterruptible by default, but the intent is that if Imoen is wounded and leaves the party (as in the default game), you can't get her to rejoin the party (however this is done; I don't believe I ever got it to happen) and have an immortal Imoen for the rest of the dungeon (the intent was that she escapes to the surface, not sticks around as an unkillable PC until you reach the promenade). Removing it (comment it out, delete it, whatever) should be fine, though.

In any case, personal changes are absolutely encouraged and (unless you get too wild) fully supported. Modify as much as you want as often as you want.

Although we'd consider wholesale redistribution to be in poor taste (we'd much rather hear about it so we can see if there's changes we should be making to improve the mod), I can't think of anyone here who would claim to prevent you from making your own changes so that things work the way you want them to.

the dialogue action is uninterruptible by default, but the intent is that if Imoen is wounded and leaves the party (as in the default game), you can't get her to rejoin the party (however this is done; I don't believe I ever got it to happen) and have an immortal Imoen for the rest of the dungeon

Without the Fixpack, it's possible to corner her in your cage, pound her down to 1 hp, then when she leaves your party, heal her and re-invite her.

That's how I finished the dungeon the last time I played. I can't say it's vastly faster, but it felt easier, and I didn't feel like the dungeon was such a drag. For me, the best part of the game begins when you arrive at the Promenade.

Thanks for the helpful link to modifying the Fixpack.

I'd never redistribute my change wholesale! I wouldn't even change it on my own computer if the G3 folks preferred I didn't: I both appreciate and respect the excellent work done.

Thanks again!

I'm almost wondering if there isn't a Mac port specific difference in the way the engine queues uninterruptible actions? The "can't save game, script pending" bug never happens on windows, and I'd been able to replicate the original kickout bug (albeit with some difficulty).

Anyway, I tend to agree with devSin that we've not completely closed the loophole (we tried, but there's not much more you can do with it) so you may not even need to comment that fix out. If you do though, just wrapping it in /* */ is fine, we won't kill your pets or anything.

Actually we've tried, but now that I saw something about it on BioWare's forums, the fix is pretty clear: HP(Myself,1) trigger -> Global("ImoenRunning","LOCALS",1).

I don't think there's a difference between versions (I don't know what you're referring by script pending); you just have to be craftier and spend more time blocking Imoen than I was ever willing to waste. Certainly, once she starts moving, you'll get the "too busy" message if you try to talk to her (as soon as the engine figures out it's time to execute some actions, I guess), but I guess fake-talking her keeps her around for a bit.

Archived