Improved AI?

I'm just in the process of buying a new quad-core PC, since my old computer is ancient and about to collapse(the blasted company I bought it from

Time Computers, which folded years ago due to customer-dissastisfaction). Anyway, I've been hearing great things about quad-cores, re potential for greatly improved AI in roleplaying games(something to do with "multithreading" etc - I have no idea what that means!). Is there any truth to this rumour? Also, would one have to invent entire new games to be able to take advantage of this capability or could old games like BG1/BG2 also be enhanced(provided one was using a quad-core PC)?

I'm just in the process of buying a new quad-core PC, since my old computer is ancient and about to collapse(the blasted company I bought it from

Time Computers, which folded years ago due to customer-dissastisfaction). Anyway, I've been hearing great things about quad-cores, re potential for greatly improved AI in roleplaying games(something to do with "multithreading" etc - I have no idea what that means!). Is there any truth to this rumour? Also, would one have to invent entire new games to be able to take advantage of this capability or could old games like BG1/BG2 also be enhanced(provided one was using a quad-core PC)?

Bad luck: the only thing that new hardware is going to do for AI is allow it to run faster. Your new computer will run AI-intensive stuff more quickly (like new games, or like script-heavy mods for old games like BG2) but that's it.

Archived