Is there anything like Lynch or L. Davis out there in the book world?

Domi

I was wondering if anything else, hilarously funny, non-epic and cool is out there in the fantasy world? But not Pratchett. Or like Lindsay Davis? Ie fun, cool plot, historic mystery?

I can recommend some stuff in Russian, if you're interested(just in case):

Ван Зайчик, "Дело жадного варвара" и дальше по нарастающей.

Панов, цикл "Тайный Город".

Весь Макс Фрай.

Михаил Успенский, "Кого за смертью посылать"(цикл про Жихаря).

Гай Юлий Орловский, цикл "Ричард Длинные Руки"(фигня, если честно, полная, но я зачитываюсь).

heh, nope, I am looking more along the lines of checking it out of the local library after I finish the Body in the Bathhouse and any other Davis' book I missed.... and before the Republic of Thieves is out.... darn.

On the hilarious, Lynchesque side, I'd suggest:

Fritz Leiber - Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series (First and Second Book of Lankhmar are the current names of the omnibuses, it seems - Swords against <various things> are the separate books)

P.C. Hodgell - God Stalk / Dark of the Moon (Dark of the Gods omnibus) / Seeker's Mask / To Ride a Rathorn

Barry Hughart - Bridge of Birds / The Story of the Stone / Eight Skilled Gentlemen

Both Hodgell and Hughart have had publisher problems between books, so they are hard to track down. :) Well worth the trouble though.

On the historical mystery side... Robert van Gulik's various chinese murder mysteries, perhaps? ("The Chinese insert-word-here Murders")

You know, I tried Kushner earlier, and I hated every line of it. I thought it was slow and boring and absolutely grey. I think Kerr was the only author I hated more. :) Tastes, huh.

I've got a Steven Brust recommendation from another site - anyone tried him?

I knew you were Ashara on Westeros :)

Brust is apparently very good, though apparently he uses modern slang and phrases. Depends on if that puts you off or not, I guess.

BTW which one of Kushner's did you try? I loved Swordspoint but I've heard her other stuff isn't as good.

Brust. Vlad Taltos series. Fast read, in-depth plot, slow reveal with lightning-quick individual books. The backstory is as big as the universe - goes larger than the Pern series if you go to the whole bigger "heavier" series entries (his other works outside of the Taltos series). But each individual book can be read independently, and the plot doesn't interfere with the inner plots in each book - it more fleshes out the reality than advances the huge overarching stuff. Great characters, each with their own voice. Conflicts that make internal sense, and an anti-hero/hero protagonist who has irony, good wordplay, a well written outsider perspective. One book, one afternoon (I read fast) and you might decide to read the whole series.

Plus, swordplay and wisecracking miniature draagon familiars.

Plus, you get to figure out why sometimes early on apprenticing to you, I said "Right, boss" or similar. Just call me Loiosh...

Domi: I don't think you should do that. It tends to create problems.

cmorgan: Oh, but it might be really good. I could do this, and then this, and...

Domi: cmorgan...

cmorgan: Right. Shutting up, boss.

BTW which one of Kushner's did you try? I loved Swordspoint but I've heard her other stuff isn't as good.

Swordspoint. It had big endorcement by Martin on the cover, so, I naturally picked it up, and boy, was I dissappointed.

Cmorgan, that seals the deal. I am checking out whatever they have on the shelf once we do our weekly track to the library while Kira is dewastating the board books section. :)

Well, I checked out Brust's The Paths of the Dead, and it's not all I expected it to be :( As in I can see what he's trying to do, and what the joke is, but I am just not enjoying myself. Oh, well, at least Kira's tastes are not as exacting as mine.

OH Domi... no no no no..... stop reading now. You don't want the Viscount of Adrilanka series, or Five Hundred Years After, or Phoenix Quards, or anything like that -

NOT the big ones, you want the fun ones - The Paths of the Dead is among the heavies.

You want these...

The Vlad Taltos Novels:

Jhereg

Yendi

Teckla

Taltos

Phoenix

Athyra

Orca

Dragon

Issola

Dzur

Jhegaala(to be released June 8 2008)

preferably with something like that order, but you could mix any of the earlier stuff.

You said "light, fun, enjoyable", not "deep, worldbuilding, thematic." Then you grabbed a "deep, worldbuilding, thematic."

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Jhereg-Vlad-Tal...4269&sr=1-1

Editorial Reviews

From Library Journal

Quick with both sword and wit, Vlad Taltos makes his way through the world of Dragaera as an assassin, aided by a small talent for magic and a lizard-like jhereg companion. Collecting the first three novels in Brust's Vlad Taltos series (e.g., Jhereg), this volume serves as a good introduction to the adventures of the author's archly sophisticated, wryly humorous hero. Recommended for libraries that do not already own the individual titles included.

Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Book Description

Vlad Taltos x 3! Three Steven Brust fantasy novels in one all-new edition-featuring intrepid assassin Vlad Taltos and his jhereg companion. A welcome addition to any fantasy fan's library, The Book of Jhereg follows the antics of the wise-cracking assassin Vlad Taltos and his dragon-like companion through their first three adventures-Jhereg, Yendi, and Teckla. From his rookie assassin days to his selfless feats of heroism, the dauntless Vlad will hold readers spellbound-and The Book of Jhereg will take its place among the classic compilations in fantasy.

--A pocket-sized dragon-what's not to love?

--A collectible 3-in-1 edition featuring one of science fiction's most memorable heroes

"This whole series is entertaining and worth reading!" -Locus

"Engaging...written with a light touch...good stuff!" -Publishers Weekly

"Watch Steven Brust. He's good. He moves fast. He surprises you." -Roger Zelazny

"Hard to put down . . . fun to read!" -OtherRealms

"Imagine James Bond in a world of magic...exciting!" -Voya

EDIT: never mind - look in your mailbox at home (snail mail) on about May 7 - book ordered and sent. If you hate it or even are lukewarm, no offence at all; just pass on the book to someone who might like it/. Merry late Christmas/Orthodox Easter/a million past birthdays, whatever :(

Archived