What happens when I want to change an NPC in different ways for different games?

Gnick O Thyme

I'll try to stop laughing at your avatar long enough to type a reply.

If you really wanted to do this, you could, but it would be tricky. You'd have to start a game, go to the area where you recruit Mazzy, so that her creature spawns. You wouldn't have to recruit her, necessarily, but she'd have to exist. Then you could save the game and exit.

Then you'd reinstall the mod, setting things up differenty. And go to to the area where you recruit Mazzy, etc.

Repeat as necessary.

Personally, I don't know if it would be worth the aggro.

Great avvy, by the way. Or did I already say that?

There are two ways to reinstall a mod buried deep in the weidu log.

1. Run setup-mymod.exe and let weidu uninstall everything and then reinstall everything.

2. Start at the last entry in the weidu.log. Uninstall it. Go to the next-to-last entry in the weidu.log. Uninstall it. Go to the third-to-last entry in the weidu.log. Uninstall it. All the way back to the mod you want to reinstall. Then install everything in your weidu.log in exactly the same order as you installed it. This is important, because if you install it in a different order, or if you install different components, you risk making your saved games incompatible.

Icendoan recommends the second.

I'd recommend the first method, myself, honestly - though if you're going to be frequently re-installing components of a mod it slightly less hassle to install that mod as late as possible.

BGII Tweaks doesn't have to go last, and the only component of that mod that interacts strangely with Level One NPCs is the "Use Baldur's Gate Proficiencies" tweak - that does have to go afterwards. Otherwise, there's no need to worry about it.

The Sneak Peak at version One has only limited support for morphing the restrictions on an NPC's signature items (e.g. Short Sword of Arvoreen) so that they remain usable whatever class/kit madness you select - but if you make Mazzy a Cleric in one game and a Sorcerer in another the item restrictions will follow however you've installed the mod last.

There's really only one way around this, and it's not entirely compatibility friendly, so it may not change in future revisions. It's one of the things I'm pondering at the moment.

I've been using the Level One mod practically since it was released. AFAICT, I've had no conflicts with the other mods I use by installing it last. Generally, I use it to change the option about npc XP at time of joining and to tweak the kits or weapon proficiencies of Imoen and Valygar (I never understood why he doesn't have some type of proficiency with a blunt weapon given that his enemy class was golems)

Just my 2c.

John

Hey, Nythrun - AoE before L1NPCs - I have not been able to confirm - does your component adjusting usablilty pick up AoE or does the user have to choose the usability manually? I have just been choosing it manually...

Hey, Nythrun - AoE before L1NPCs - I have not been able to confirm - does your component adjusting usablilty pick up AoE or does the user have to choose the usability manually? I have just been choosing it manually...

Are you asking if L1NPC usability overrides AoE usability?

I've got both on my install... well, something very like AoE, anyway, and the only crossbow in the game Jan can use is his own.

L1NPC after AoE:

Jan can use his own crossbow, but not any other crossbows in the game (strength might be too low, I forget).

L1NPC before AoE: not recommended.

You're still going to want AoE or the like for your PC, though I'd defnitely suggest putting AoE ahead of L1NPC.

Archived