Learning Curve?

Guest SlidMang0

So, from the mathematical evidence presented here, and the general shape of the curve on the Figures 7 and 8 would you say that this mod is mainly oriented towards a male player?

Forcing your comment out of context, I guess it's an interesting question whether tactical mods do appeal more to male players. I don't actually know. I'm male but my wife and I always play jointly and both like the tactical aspects; I have the impression that most of the people I've corresponded with about SCS2 have been men, but I could be mistaken.

Thoughts? (or we can return to real analysis or to girls in bikinis if people prefer.)

I suspect you're right, DavidW. Men generally seem to be more competitive than women (although this may be more of a cultural thing than inherently gender-based), and tactical mods seem to be more about competition. Granted, the battle is between against a machine (or perhaps the mod's author), but it's still competitive in nature.

Full marks. :laugh: But last time I posted my pic in my Livejournal, a lady who happens to like my mods mentioned she saw me on the Moscow Underground. Now, she's a talented and a published poet, and I'll be delighted to meet her in real life. But with quite a few people, it is not so - imagine Vlad visits Moscow? - and the last thing I'd want is dealing with them in person.

Men generally seem to be more competitive than women

Ha. Ha. Ha.

:laugh:

Well, I did say "generally". Plus I acknowledged that it may be cultural (i.e. North American, given where I live (Canada).

And I didn't even mention women who are kinda "butchy". (That's with a "u", not an "i". Although, in retrospect...) ;) ;)

But with quite a few people, it is not so - imagine Vlad visits Moscow? - and the last thing I'd want is dealing with them in person.

They say that meeting your online enemies IRL is quite the peace-making experience.

Or, if he aggresses you, we'd get him into prison (and out of the way for some years) :laugh:

Yep. The Weierstrass function was one of the main inspirations in the design of SCS II

It's also something of a watershed moment in the gradual creep from intutionism's "No, we don't have a formal definition of this, but everyone knows well enough what it is anyway" to formalism's "If we don't have a rigorous definition, we have nothing!" (not unlike Cauchy's epsilon-delta definition of limit, or Zermelo and Frankel's axiomatization of set theory). History hasn't treated the opponents of this variety of progress (sic?) with much kindness or celebration, but the debate was a really big deal at the time.

P.S.

Now you will decide to try the IronValvedImp mod where all smooth curves are fixed and tweaked to be discontinuous step functions. As you become more experienced you will not care for such nonsense and will instead enjoy many powerful itams!

P.P.S.

Guest has foolishly forgotten to specify the dimensionality of the topological space into which the evertible manifold is embedded! This is buggy and a cheat. If you cannot evert a manifold without cheesily allowing self-intersection then you should not make the attempt.

Archived