Super happy fun lucky thingy?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Um, I'm not sure if i should install this or not, the readme doesn't specify whether it is needed, it simply says future mods MIGHT need it, which is fair enough.

But what about old mods? does it mean those become unusable...

It just seems odd, i mean the name chosen seems to imply i should always install this component, but i'm really not sure!

If anyone could please clear this up for me, thanks!

Guest Guest
In fact, it has a tendency to break some things. (Upon recompilation of dialogs and scripts, numbers are substituted with human readable names, but some mods still expect the numbers.)

As a player, I would not install it.

That is exactly the kind of issue i was thinking of - thanks for mentioning it.

Maybe it should be made clearer in the readme that this is for modders/can cause problems? i mean, it might be obvious to some...i dunno, not for me evidently though :laugh:

Thanks!

Well, the purpose of this albatross was to avert that kind of error (which you will get when a mod that does not account for changes to gtimes.ids is installed after a mod which does so) - if everyone's on the same page here, there aren't any conflicts.

Unfortunately, many old mods are never to be updated, several new modders detest the fixpack, and those that fall into neither category tend to incorporate bits of the fixpack into their own mods rather than introduce a dependency.

We'll probably add a "Don't install this unless you know exactly what you want out of it" to the next version. devSin's wanted that for a long time now.

We'll probably add a "Don't install this unless you know exactly what you want out of it" to the next version. devSin's wanted that for a long time now.
Well, I was always hoping for more of a "There is no such component. There never was." in the next version, but I guess this is pretty close. ;-)
Unfortunately, many old mods are never to be updated, several new modders detest the fixpack, and those that fall into neither category tend to incorporate bits of the fixpack into their own mods rather than introduce a dependency.

... or detest the words "community", "we" and "together". And it was going so well in Russian fantasy/sci-fi fandom, too... until yesterday, I heard exactly the same words. Bah. People are hopeless everywhere.

But, seriously, does this component indeed break things and murder little kittens, or are these only evil rumors and propaganda?

... or detest the words "community", "we" and "together".

It'd be more accurate to say that we dislike fixes that break things, fixes that force PnP conventions on us, fixes for things that don't need fixing, fixes that aren't given proper consideration/discussion...

But it's not as if Vlad's WeiDU Baldurdash is any better, so... I won't make too big an issue of it. :(

aWL

What PnP conventions plz?

(And this "doesn't need fixing" that keeps cropping up is still ass. There's not some arbitrary line just after Baldurdash where suddenly the game just about works well enough and we can all pack up and go home. Either something is bug or it isn't--this is a binary choice. Whether you think it's an important bug is frankly immaterial as far as I'm concerned. I don't care if Baldurdash fixes resting in the thief stronghold because I never play a thief; that doesn't mean I'd refuse to play with Baldurdash, because that'd be dumb. kthnx.)

... or detest the words "community", "we" and "together".

It'd be more accurate to say that we dislike fixes that break things, fixes that force PnP conventions on us, fixes for things that don't need fixing, fixes that aren't given proper consideration/discussion...

I did mention the "we" bit, didn't I?

@Sim:

As much as I enjoyed tussling with you before (it was damn fun for a while :(), I'd rather not engage in a long argument about this matter. It's not a philosophical issue per se and doesn't peak my interest the way that a certain other topic did, and I'd rather not waste the time arguing viewpoints that have already been stated by both sides elsewhere. Suffice it to say that I have problems with all available fixpacks, the G3 one included.

@Kulyok:

I'm not sure I take your meaning... ?

aWL

What PnP conventions plz?

A. The Fixpack offers several Optional But Cool PnP components. These should be BG2 Tweaks material and have no place being packaged with the Fixpack.

B. I haven't examined the detailed fix documentation lately (because it's STILL available only online instead of being packaged within a rar within the download), but there used to be several Core Fixes based on PnP rules.

That's all you're gettin' from me, tho, cause I don't want to drag this out. :(

aWL

Archived