Super happy fun lucky thingy?

Guest Guest

Look, I don't know who you are and I don't care. Why do you keep following me? Keep in mind YOU mentioned my name first.

If you are truly serious about not being involved in a "flame war" :D as you say you are, then you would STFU now.

Thanks. :(

P.S. are you once again going to edit your post to say "EDIT: And if you'd like further evidence, look at the next post." to look like some sort of smartass? :D:party:

You know, I have a suggestion. Why not leave the modder pack in the download, but put it in a separate .tp2 in bg2fixpack folder, but without .exe? Or just comment out this section. This way the work will be kept, and it will be available for all who need it and still common players won't be confused by it.

//seriosly, where are the moderators?

P.S. are you once again going to edit your post to say "EDIT: And if you'd like further evidence, look at the next post." to look like some sort of smartass? :D:(

No, I needn't say any more. I've said my piece. The evidence speaks for itself. No need to hijack this thread further. (Nothing to see here.)

Well, I certainly championed the Modder Pack on the basis that it would provide a standard on which everyone could develop. Clearly, for better or for worse, this hasn't happened, and maybe on that basis it would be better placed in individual mods. I don't actually know, to be honest--does it actually break anything that's out there? I can see the argument that a modder depending on it might inadvertently produce code incompatible with the original game, but in practice does this happen?
The problem is that the modder pack doesn't actually do anything, no? There certainly aren't really any fixes, and I don't see "assign all areas without a script %SOURCE_RES%.BCS" is creating any sort of platform? It's great when you can run an NI or DLTCEP check or searches or whatever when you're creating your mod and not get spurious errors from all the leftover crap, but there's nothing in there that you should require (certainly nothing that's going to magically juice up your mod's quality).
Give it up, Simba. The fixpack is doing just fine. It's dominance is absolute. I know it kills you to read that, but that is the way it is. Accept it and move on.

I appreciate the sentiment and all, but I think that six pages of "and anyone who doesn't use the fixpack is a CUNT!" is starting to look a little silly. Much like modder experience, I'd rather the 'dominance' of the fixpack spoke for itself rather than having to remind people.

Why are you still here?

Because I believe in the ideal of the Fixpack and would like to see positive change to the effect that the reality matches the ideal.

It's dominance is absolute.

Popular equals neither absolute nor ideal.

Give it up, Simba.

I've always found the name Simba rather sexy. I knew you loved me, temujin. :(

aWL

Well, I certainly championed the Modder Pack on the basis that it would provide a standard on which everyone could develop. Clearly, for better or for worse, this hasn't happened, and maybe on that basis it would be better placed in individual mods. I don't actually know, to be honest--does it actually break anything that's out there? I can see the argument that a modder depending on it might inadvertently produce code incompatible with the original game, but in practice does this happen?

As Taimon pointed out, there are a few incompatibilities.

It seems to me that the SHFL pack helps some mods, hinders others, and doesn't have any noticeable effect on others. I think that ideally the Fixpack should be absolutely neutral and not contain code relating to enabling particular mods or creating a particular platform preferred by certain modders.

Also, if a certain mod requires the SHFL pack, it's best practice to include the necessary elements in its own code, so (except in the case of modders who deliberately introduce dependencies) the SHFL shouldn't need to be installed on its own at all.

All that being said, I do think that the SHFL pack would make an excellent standalone tool for modders.

aWL

It seems to me that the SHFL pack helps some mods, hinders others, and doesn't have any noticeable effect on others. I think that ideally the Fixpack should be absolutely neutral and not contain code relating to enabling particular mods or creating a particular platform preferred by certain modders.

Leaving aside purely practical questions as to whether it's helpful to have the SHFL pack installed, I'm not sure I'm seeing an argument here as to why the Fixpack "should" be neutral (whatever that means).

Or more accurately: I've seen one argument, which is that some people just install everything without checking the readme, but I don't think it's a particularly persuasive argument. On that basis, SCS and the Tweak Pack (among others) would have to have many components removed, I suspect.

Leaving aside purely practical questions as to whether it's helpful to have the SHFL pack installed, I'm not sure I'm seeing an argument here as to why the Fixpack "should" be neutral (whatever that means).

Perhaps because we'd like to see it become a standard for everyone instead of a standard for G3/PPG/whoever-else-decides-to-accept-it?

Or more accurately: I've seen one argument, which is that some people just install everything without checking the readme, but I don't think it's a particularly persuasive argument. On that basis, SCS and the Tweak Pack (among others) would have to have many components removed, I suspect.

You're forgetting the scope of the issue. Considerations for fixpacks and mods are not identical.

aWL

Perhaps because we'd like to see it become a standard for everyone instead of a standard for G3/PPG/whoever-else-decides-to-accept-it?

It's not going to. Not until V/S and whomever else will stop modding and their mods will be taken over by compatibility-interested maintainers.

I appreciate the sentiment and all, but I think that six pages of "and anyone who doesn't use the fixpack is a CUNT!" is starting to look a little silly. Much like modder experience, I'd rather the 'dominance' of the fixpack spoke for itself rather than having to remind people.

I'm NOT saying 'anyone who doesn't use the fixpack is a cunt', it's more like 'anyone that constantly comes here bitching about the fixpack is a cunt!' Big difference.

Because I believe in the ideal of the Fixpack and would like to see positive change to the effect that the reality matches the ideal.

I must've struck a nerve there again. I thought you said you were ignoring my further posts. :D You just can't help it, can you? :(

Believe it or not, it is already at a near-ideal point. It is not possible to please everyone. There are those that will continue to hate just for the sake of hating. You don't even understand the complexity involved in maintaining this mod. You simply say 'just get more testers' as if getting dedicated testers is as simple as going to a grocery store and buying a bag of peanuts. :D

As I said, stick to baldurdash (after all, according to you it is more stable and doesn't contain optional things) or better yet, make your own fixes to your heart's content and be happy with it. Constantly repeating your point only makes you look like a joke. A joke that sadly isn't funny.

Archived