IWD mods

Ayce

Greeting G3 community, after recently hitting a measure of BG2 burnout, I returned to IWD hoping to incorporate some mods I had been thinking about for some time.....................

On my last IWD streak, I had created a substantial number of custom items which I thought added depth to the already existing story. I always felt that IWD was just littered with a lot of items not necessarily germain to the IWD region. The vast majority of the item designs were successful and worked.

What I had not done a lot of at the time (but was thinking a lot about) were spells mods. I had ideas for the racial abilities of a half-dryad (half-elf with green hair), arcane spell conversion for a druid (ice storm became blizzrd, etc.), an idea for a pseudo-kit ecomancer (can cast a number of druid spells through arcane means) and several innate abilities for various character concepts I had (and still have).

In times past, I only attempted two such innate spells mods with both success and failure, here is where my questions start.

The first semi-successful mod was a summon spirit wolf spell (derived from the summon dread wolf spell), I modified a dread wolf to be good, immune to non-magical weapons and transparency fade. The first time I tried it, it worked. Subsequent attempts to do so ended up with a working spell-button in the innate abilities which would produce nothing when pressed. I have no idea why it worked before and later didn't. Any ideas?

The second one was a mod of the sunscorch spell for a priest of lathander psuedo-kit which essentially made it an innate spell for a cleric and a learned spell for a palidan. At first it didn't work at all. The cast spell button would wind up in the cleric spell repetoire even though I had set it to innate ability. Later, I did get it to work, now it doesn't work again. IWD seems really high-maintenance in terms of how these basic mods work or don't work.

NOTE: The Ice spell coversions for my druid were a complete success.

So here I am today, having taken some time to move forward with more of these ideas. I created a new IWD party and several of the above mods. All with complete failure (:laugh:). How???

Well, making entangle an arcane spell. Worked and didn't work. I created the spell, created the scroll to learn it and "taught" it to my half-elf (half-dryad) bard. The spell showed up in her spellbook and she memorized it, but the cast-spell button is greyed out and doesn't repsond to my commands to cast it. My character doesn't even say anything when I click that spell. So while everything appears to work, she won't cast it.

In fact, this is what I'm finding with all the mods I've attemped so far. The sunscorch (morning ray) mod, same thing. It appears to work, the innate ability is learned, a use-ability button appears with the correct icon, but nothing happens when I try to cast it. Additionally, the use ability button often appears in the cast spell selection as before.

I gave the bard an innate charm-person ability, which appears to work, learn ability potion is created, it is createitem into the game, grants the ability, but the ability doesn't work. As I said, I finding this same problem with everything I try right now. I have no idea what I am doing differently now for the ones I have gotten to work before. HELP!!!

BTW, if you're interested, here are some of the item mods I'd successfully created for IWD before..............

Horn of Arvador - like a Horn of Valhalla, only it summons elven warriors, given to you by Lethias after you get the machine working again.

Woodgarde - AC4 Bracers that barkskin you while equipped. Fire resistance penalty. Experimental version involved creating a powerful spirity club, much like a spiritual hammer, but more powerful.

Grimwarde - Death ward amulet with bonus priest spells. The holy symbol of Myrkul never "vaporizes" like other items left on the ground, so I decided to do something with it.

Circlet of Power - Larrel's Helm, lots of nifty bonuses if you're a mage, he gives it to you after you bring him evidence that the dwarves didn't kill his daughter.

Boots of Passage - Kaylessa's Boots, lots of nifty bonuses if you're a ranger

Cloak of Avoidance - Kaylessa's Cloak, lots of nifty bonuses if you're a ranger

Robe of the Itinerant Druid - Arundel's Robe, lots of nifty bonuses if you're a druid

Orb of the Planes - ease of use item to cast Contact other Plane and get the game hints available throught that spell.

There were more items, some modified from existing IWD items, others created with my specific PCs in mind, but you get the idea. Hope this was at least an interestng read for you.

I still appreciate any and all help with these spell mods.

The first semi-successful mod was a summon spirit wolf spell (derived from the summon dread wolf spell), I modified a dread wolf to be good, immune to non-magical weapons and transparency fade. The first time I tried it, it worked. Subsequent attempts to do so ended up with a working spell-button in the innate abilities which would produce nothing when pressed. I have no idea why it worked before and later didn't. Any ideas?

Sounds like it only had one charge. Try resting than see if it is recharged or you may have to edit the item so it has more charges to it.

Sounds like it only had one charge. Try resting than see if it is recharged or you may have to edit the item so it has more charges to it.

Allow me to clarify. That particular mod wasn't an item, it was an innate ability.

It fully worked the first time I incorporated it into the game (would "recharge" upon rest, summoned a fully functioning summoned monster as described above). Later, in subsequent games, I tried it again and it didn't work. Meaning it didn't summon the spirit wolf, it didn't summon or do anything. The innate ability menu showed an icon for it, but when that ability was selected, it didn't do anything.

In similar fashion, as mentioned above, I created a sunscorch innate ability for a psuedo-kit lathander priest. For reasons I can't understand, I tried it a couple of weeks ago and it didn't work at all, whereas yesterday, I got it working (save for the fact that the select innate ability icon appears under the cast spell menu). I don't have this problem with any other innate abilities I've created.

IWD just seems to be very tempermental with it's settings.

Archived