Dialog Issue

erebusant

What is it about a dialog that will cause the dialog to stutter jump. I have the 1st round of dialogs with a halfling with no problems, then the next time I go to talk to her the dialog goes like this:

(in red) Halfling woman - has nothing to say to you
(in white) Halfling woman - Good to see you again.

All this occurs with no other interaction on my part.

This occurs when no states in the dialogue are true (there's a default soundset string that gets printed if there isn't any dialogue to show).

In BG2, has nothing to say is hardcoded -- it'll always show up, followed by the default string (most CREs in BG2 don't have this set, so you usually just see the nothing to say string). For BG, a lot of dialogues have the default string as a state in the dialogue but have it False()d (they switched to using the default soundset string instead of proper dialogue for these "welcome back" one-liners).

Is this in Gullykin? I vaguely recall some corrections to that dialogue in the BG1 Fixroom.

Yeah, this is Gullykin. There's bunches of Halflings running around that do this. For the one's that only have 1 possible response, adding

OR(2)
ReactionLT(LastTalkedToBy(Myself),NEUTRAL_LOWER)
ReactionGT(LastTalkedToBy(Myself),HOSTILE_UPPER)

as state triggers seems to have resolved the issue, but I'll need to experiment on the ones that have 2 possible states (1 positive & 1 negative) to see which is the proper one to place with the given state dependant on party rep, charisma, etc.

Yeah, this is Gullykin. There's bunches of Halflings running around that do this.
Part of the problem is that multiple halflings share the same dialogue. There are other issues too - the Fixroom topic on it is pretty complicated actually. The good news is that everything seems to be fixed but I'll bump it to make sure this issue's been addressed. (If you don't have access and want it, drop CamDawg a PM.)
For the one's that only have 1 possible response, adding
OR(2)
ReactionLT(LastTalkedToBy(Myself),NEUTRAL_LOWER)
ReactionGT(LastTalkedToBy(Myself),HOSTILE_UPPER)

We can't use OR for BG1, but there's probably some way around it if it's not already implemented.

This isn't a bug. In BG/TotSC, the default dialogue string runs when there is no dialogue state to run (rather than IF ~True()~ SAY ~One-liner.~ EXIT, they just switched to doing console strings). (If you really wanted to change it, though, most of these False()d or orphaned one-liners could simply be utilized by shuffling the weights around (if necessary) and having the final state just be True().)

It's a bit ugly in BGT/Tutu because of the "nothing to say" string, but it is working as intended.

Certainly sounds like a bug to me. Dudley addressed the following:

HALFFG.DLG

Halfling Woman, AR4000 - is missing triggers for two conversation options once the Firewine Ruins Ogre Mage is dead. Note that there are two women with this file so only the first is affected.

Add triggers in [state 9] Dead("DICK"), ReactionGT(LastTalkedToBy,NEUTRAL_UPPER) and Global("DXHalffg","GLOBAL",0).

Add action in [Response 16] SetGlobal("DXHalffg","GLOBAL",1).

Add triggers in [state 10] Dead("DICK"), ReactionLT(LastTalkedToBy,FRIENDLY_LOWER) and Global("DXHalffg","GLOBAL",0).

Add action in [Response 17] SetGlobal("DXHalffg","GLOBAL",1).

(If you look at the bottom of the page, there's a whole host of other issues related to the Gullykin dialogues.)

I think Idobek used a version of this, to wit:

ADD_STATE_TRIGGER ~HALFFG~  9 ~ReactionGT(LastTalkedToBy(),NEUTRAL_UPPER)~
ADD_STATE_TRIGGER ~HALFFG~ 10 ~ReactionLT(LastTalkedToBy(),FRIENDLY_LOWER)~
ADD_STATE_TRIGGER ~HALFFG~ 12 ~False()~

AFAIK, plainab doesn't appear to touch this particular dialogue in his code... last I checked anyway... he might've by now.

AFAIK, plainab doesn't appear to touch this particular dialogue in his code... last I checked anyway... he might've by now.
I don't know if I touch it or not. I will tell ya what I do with the halfling files and then you can tell me what else I need to do....

These are d-file commands spread throughout the tp2

SET_WEIGHT ~HALFG3~ 9 #0
SET_WEIGHT ~HALFG3~ 0 #1
SET_WEIGHT ~HALFG4~ 8 #0
SET_WEIGHT ~HALFG4~ 0 #1
SET_WEIGHT ~HALFG5~ 9 #0
SET_WEIGHT ~HALFG5~ 0 #1
SET_WEIGHT ~HALFG6~ 9 #0
SET_WEIGHT ~HALFG6~ 0 #1

ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~HALFG4~ BEGIN 8 END BEGIN END ~SetGlobal("ab_charmed","LOCALS",1)~
ADD_STATE_TRIGGER ~HALFG4~ 8 ~Global("ab_charmed","LOCALS",0)~
REPLACE_ACTION_TEXT ~HALFG4~ ~GiveItem("POTN40",LastTalkedToBy)~ ~GiveItemCreate("POTN40",LastTalkedToBy(),1,0,0)~

ADD_TRANS_ACTION ~HALFG6~ BEGIN 9 END BEGIN END ~GiveItemCreate("SLING01",LastTalkedToBy(),1,0,0)
SetGlobal("ab_charmed","LOCALS",1)~
ADD_STATE_TRIGGER ~HALFG6~ 9 ~Global("ab_charmed","LOCALS",0)~

I don't know if I touch it or not.
Yeah, it's the same as what I looked at in the workroom. You don't touch halffg. You should incorporate Idobek's code at least, then we can worry about whether the additional Dudley stuff is necessary, tweakish or whatever.
I don't know if I touch it or not.
Yeah, it's the same as what I looked at in the workroom. You don't touch halffg. You should incorporate Idobek's code at least, then we can worry about whether the additional Dudley stuff is necessary, tweakish or whatever.
Okay, I added in Idobek's code. I could see where something was needed there. Guess someone will have to determine if it does what's needed. albeit the posted versions do not reflect this...

Archived