Quick question about Spellhold Imoen

Guest Charlie

Guest Charlie

I was forced to abandon my only previous attempt to play the game, so I didn't get too far into it - only as far as the end of chapter 2. I'm looking to play again soon, from the very beginning, so have been looking at what mods to install.

I'm very interested in trying out this mod, as well as SCS II. While I was looking through the forum for SCS II I saw DavidW say 'Imoen knows the Enchanted Weapon spell'. That made me wonder what would happen if I use L1NPCs to make Imoen a level 1 thief, pick her up in Spellhold, use CLUAConsole to get her to, say, level 6, then dual her to a mage. She ain't going to have any spells memorised, right?

If so, isn't my L1NPCs Imoen going to be far less useful that the stock Imoen? Does anyone know exactly what spells the stock Imoen has memorised, so that I can CLUAConsole them in as scrolls myself? Or is there a better way of doing this? Could L1NPCs provide some sort of optional 'Scrolls for Spellhold Imoen' component?

Thank you.

Guest Scipio
I was forced to abandon my only previous attempt to play the game, so I didn't get too far into it - only as far as the end of chapter 2. I'm looking to play again soon, from the very beginning, so have been looking at what mods to install.

I'm very interested in trying out this mod, as well as SCS II. While I was looking through the forum for SCS II I saw DavidW say 'Imoen knows the Enchanted Weapon spell'. That made me wonder what would happen if I use L1NPCs to make Imoen a level 1 thief, pick her up in Spellhold, use CLUAConsole to get her to, say, level 6, then dual her to a mage. She ain't going to have any spells memorised, right?

If so, isn't my L1NPCs Imoen going to be far less useful that the stock Imoen? Does anyone know exactly what spells the stock Imoen has memorised, so that I can CLUAConsole them in as scrolls myself? Or is there a better way of doing this? Could L1NPCs provide some sort of optional 'Scrolls for Spellhold Imoen' component?

Thank you.

I have started as you did, using L1NPCs to make Imoen a thief who starts out as a thief. I made her a Bounty Hunter because of their weapon skills. Immy later with the Celestial Fury?

One of the cool things about L1NPCs is that you IMMEDIATELY get back all the XP you would normally have had when any character starts the game. As soon as Immy has you out of your cage in the dungeon she will level up to level 6. I have dualled her straight away. She may well be a puny level 1 mage right now but before we finish the dungeon she will pass level 7 as a mage and get her Bounty Hunter skills back. She will also have the +100 points each in Find Traps and Pick Locks, the only two really important thieving skills needed in BG2. If you want to you could use SK to level her up as a mage from the outset but you shouldn't need to.

I don't remember Imoen's pre-loaded spells at the outset in the vanilla game. Why not quickly start a new unmodded game to find out? You can trash it as soon as you've checked her spellbook. I think her pre-memorised spells are largely useless in the dungeon anyway. The most important one for me that early in the game is Identify! And maybe one Lightning to kill or badly damage the Otyugh.

Guest Guest

ADD REPLY: I have just met Yoshimo, we went back through the portal, and he has disarmed traps and opened locked containers my party avoided earlier.

Minsc had to take a couple of nasty trap-hits to get the portal key. Those were the only traps we had to spring before finding Yoshimo. Minsc got poisoned but Jaheria had a Neutralize Poison spell ready.

Being my usual self I miscounted and miscalculated, of course (sorry!). Imoen would have to reach Level 9 as a mage to regain her thieving skills. She won't do that before we leave this Dungeon. She'll be far beyond that and automatically levelled up when we meet agin in Spellhold, however.

Imoen has no spells memorized now other than Identify. You don't want her to learn any new ones or cast them from scolls anyway! She will be at a much higher level when you find her in Spellhold where she should have a stock of spells learnt already. You can give her a gift of a scroll case and useful new spells when you meet her. At the beginning of the game it's much better to let your current mage/s learn every scroll for the XP. Just keep extra scrolls of spells such as Minute Meteors, Skull Trap, Breach and other medium- and higher-level spells for Imoen to learn much later.

** I have used the console for the most useful purpose at this early stage, or maybe any stage of the game before ToB. It is CLUAConsole:CreateItem("boot01"), used as many times as you need to give every party member Boots of Speed. Running instead of walking is less speedy than Ctrl+J but less tedious than plodding everywhere.

She ain't going to have any spells memorised, right?

Right, she'll know no spells at all.

I've nearly ironed out the kinks in "Stop Adding Experience At This Level So I Can Dual", but it still doesn't hand out any spells. It sounds like the sort of thing that's worth doing, though, and I think I can without an excess of horrible, so I'll work on incorporating it.

A cache of scrolls in Spellhold is something I probably can't do without stinking up the place with meta, but I'll ponder some more.

Thanks for the feedbag feedback :laugh:

Archived