reg trap damage

Guest guest

Guest guest

I seem to be getting some strange acting traps, using a berserker dualed to a thief, against firkragg: the traps will go off and do no damage to firkragg whatsoever...no save vs is listed in the log (are traps supposed to even have one?) and then after about a round of combat firkragg will take damage from the 5 or so traps, and then again after another round or two...i think it's the traps...couldnt be anything else...no lingering poison effects...damage is definietly attributed to my PC berserker/thief in the log.

Was also getting some strange graphical glitches sometimes...lines everywhere on the screen, like bits of firkragg all pixelated and in columns.

Anyways, unsure what this is from...is anyone has had a similar experience, please let me know if it can be sorted.

PS i read something about traps doing damage over time in 'dismissed bugs' here, so i thought it might be related, but he seems to AVOID the first set of damage completely, but traps do go off - just no damage, no save.

Then will take damage in sets, and it varies from load to load (die a lot to him...) how many sets there are of damage.

Possibly Firkraag was running Stoneskin at the time the traps went off. Get a mage to Breach him so the initial damage can hit.

I think a thief's traps do damage for a few rounds from levels 11-15; maybe that was the cause of the delayed damage?

As an aside, once Firkraag's Breached, try throwing some Magic Missiles at him: I know he's magic-resistant, but his resistance is limited, and if 10 or 15 MMs are flying his way at once....

Guest Guest
Possibly Firkraag was running Stoneskin at the time the traps went off. Get a mage to Breach him so the initial damage can hit.

I think a thief's traps do damage for a few rounds from levels 11-15; maybe that was the cause of the delayed damage?

As an aside, once Firkraag's Breached, try throwing some Magic Missiles at him: I know he's magic-resistant, but his resistance is limited, and if 10 or 15 MMs are flying his way at once....

That's almost exactly what happened. It looked odd though since i simply thought the stoneskin would have absorbed the hits from the traps (the snare animations on screen went away and it looked all normal for example) and that's that.

So you're saying that the bolts from the traps that usually go flying at enemies hover around magically or something in the case of stoneskin and wait till that's gone to get their damage in? :laugh:

Seems odd, but hey if that's the way the game works.

No, the stoneskins ate the traps' initial hits. IIRC, a thief's traps do their damage over a few rounds (Melf's Acid arrow is similar in this regard, but does a different type of damage), and the damage afterwards is a type Stoneskin can't block. It'd be easier if you set the traps a bit of a ways from Firkraag (so they don't go off right away when he turns hostile), Breach him, then lure him into the traps.

What kind of trap you get depends on your thief's level (or in the case of dual classes, an averaged level). From sixteen through twenty the traps do a pile of automatic fire damage (which Firky is immune to) and a save or else take missile damage. If a bunch of effects fire off on the same animation frame, saving throws are not rolled twice, and Dragon saving throws tend to be pretty good - it's possible some of those traps just didn't do anything.

It's the eleventh through fifteenth level traps that poison, and the highest level traps that slay. What levels are your protagonist?

Graphical anomalies are not uncommon with large stacks of traps or other persistent projectiles.

The dismissed bug was traps doing damage twice, which they don't - it's damage, and then another display of damage when a saving throw is failed, much like any "save for half" spell.

Guest guest
What kind of trap you get depends on your thief's level (or in the case of dual classes, an averaged level). From sixteen through twenty the traps do a pile of automatic fire damage (which Firky is immune to) and a save or else take missile damage. If a bunch of effects fire off on the same animation frame, saving throws are not rolled twice, and Dragon saving throws tend to be pretty good - it's possible some of those traps just didn't do anything.

It's the eleventh through fifteenth level traps that poison, and the highest level traps that slay. What levels are your protagonist?

Graphical anomalies are not uncommon with large stacks of traps or other persistent projectiles.

The dismissed bug was traps doing damage twice, which they don't - it's damage, and then another display of damage when a saving throw is failed, much like any "save for half" spell.

Dual classed fighter thief at around 9/18...which when averaged; if it's averaged as in (9+18)/2, falls within the 11 to 15 range you mention.

What i'm interested in now is how the traps actually improve...i had no idea; i've never seen any charts or such that show trap progression for normal thieves. I mean the bounty hunter traps are well known and documented, i'm sure the normal ones aren't listed in the manual or anything in terms of improvement, are they?

But it does make sense of course, you'll need better traps against tougher enemies as the game progresses.

On a related note, i've often noticed using imoen for trap setting that if she fails she takes damage over time, with no poison icon on her portrait, i guess this must've been her in that poison trap laying stage of her experience...it explains that at least (though i think i may have seen her suffer the same effect at level 7 at the start...any of those traps poisonous).

Last but not least, is there any way to find out the trap progression for thieves then? It seems odd that it's not readily found/talked about....or maybe that's just me!

Thanks for the clarificiation anyways guys/girls.

Actually, he might have been talking about an issue where traps sometimes go off twice, or go off once but don't explode (they stick around after shooting the first target and then finally explode on the next one). I was able to reproduce this easily using the high-level traps; flipping on the "no overlapping effects" bit seems to have solved it (without extensive testing for any side effects, but I never use traps anyway).

On a related note, i've often noticed using imoen for trap setting that if she fails she takes damage over time, with no poison icon on her portrait, i guess this must've been her in that poison trap laying stage of her experience...it explains that at least (though i think i may have seen her suffer the same effect at level 7 at the start...any of those traps poisonous).
If you fail setting a normal snare (not the bounty hunter or high-level traps), there's a small percentage that the trap will affect the setter (e.g., Imoen fails, and she'll sometimes get hit the same as if she'd triggered the trap).
Actually, he might have been talking about an issue where traps sometimes go off twice, or go off once but don't explode (they stick around after shooting the first target and then finally explode on the next one).

Hmm, okay. I don't use HLAs, but I'd unset that flag in trapskul.pro to stop multiple skull traps from blocking one another. I wonder now if it helped at all.

Speaking of projectiles, do we want

// Jan's Master Flashing cannot be unseen if the target dies
COPY_EXISTING tskullnp.pro override
 READ_SHORT  0x200 aoe_flags
 WRITE_SHORT 0x200 aoe_flags & ` 0x4
BUT_ONLY

- which is also in dismissed bugs?

Sorry :laugh:

It's removing the Triggered By Condition bit.

Regular Thief Traps:

Level six through ten:

2d8 + 5 missile damage

Level eleven through fifteen:

2d8 + 5 missile damage

2d6 poison damage one, two and three rounds later

Level sixteen through twenty:

3d8 + 5 missile damage

4d8 + 2 fire damage

Level twenty one or higher:

3d8 + 5 missile damage

20 poison damage

save versus death at +4 or die

/edit

Really need to change the extended header type on the Bounty Hunter snare to melee across the board, too. And I'm up far past bedtime.

COPY_EXISTING spcl415.spl override
 READ_LONG  0x64 ho
 FOR (READ_SHORT 0x68 hc; hc; hc -= 0x01) BEGIN
WRITE_BYTE ho + 0x28 * hc - 0x28 0x01
 END
BUT_ONLY

Really need to change the extended header type on the Bounty Hunter snare to melee across the board, too.
I've had this one forever. It was always amusing to see Yoshimo slide his snares across the screen (this particular BAM was *so* not designed for traveling). :-)

I don't very often know what they were up to with their projectile flags
I'm still not very good at figuring them out. Except for the shadow (and maybe one other) drawing flag (which needs an assigned shadow BAM or crashes), you can pretty much enable every single flag in every bit field without breaking anything (only moderate changes to behavior for some, but most yield no appreciable nor even noticeable difference).

Archived