Qwinn's WeiDU PS:T FixPack

Qwinn

Heh, yeah, I am testing the concept now... was always prepared to, but the honest truth is that at the point I'd written those posts I'd been coding for about 18 hours straight and was about to pass out, and thought maybe someone would know the answer offhand and be able to answer it by the time I woke up, hehe. Ah well.

And yup, the new BAM is great, Tassadar88 did a great job setting me up, thanks for the offer anyways though :crazyeyes:

Qwinn

P.S. The idea worked perfectly. The Scale of Souls is done, wewt.

I have got a copy of PS:T now! I am enjoying the game so far, and haven't butchered too many creatures. Sigil is interesting, to say the least.

I am using a flash drive version (I went out and bought it, so using a hacked version for convenience is alright, I feel.) but it is unmodded (fantastically, I appear to have a mod called the "Tome Of Cheats" but it has remained unopened) but nothing which will affect anything important.

Once I finish the game, I would love to get modding for it. I would also help you with some of the coding/testing, but I cannot do anything near your amazing .are patching earlier in the thread. I can do stores and items and dialogue and all the mind-numbingly menial stuff, though :crazyeyes: .

I just had an idea. Since the BG2 Bonus Merchants introduce items from IwD and PS:T (No really powerful items, such as Blackrazor of Crom Faeyrm though), I would copy over Joluv (change the dialogue, of course) and his items, and then make a BG2 Merchant :groucho: . Once I find suitable locations for said creatures, of course. Fancy a ring of Gaxx in PS:T?

:blush:

Icen

LOL! That's a pretty cool idea for a mod actually. Go for it!

And just so you know... something that poor T:NO desperately needs is something you can actually equip in the -hands- slot. TNO -has- a hands slot, but no (unbugged) item in game can actually be equipped in it. You pretty much have to end the game with that slot empty for lack of even one option. Gauntlets of Dexterity or Ogre Strength would get equipped automatically for lack of any competition, heh.

And if you've got any desire to help balance the game in any way, also note that, due to a lack of actual armor, TNO's armor class can actually be gotten significantly better as a mage than as a fighter, with just equipment. That's kinda just wrong IMO, and it badly makes me want to do something like get rid of the mage-only restriction on the bracers of armor in the game (called Magus Guard and Magus Shield, I'll do that as a tweak). But if you can help that issue with your mod, I say go for it. Be careful of introducing new chest armors for TNO in game though, he's not really meant to wear any, though I think there's a mod out there somewhere that gives you a few.

Both my Tweak Pack and my UB Restored Item Cheats component have my own version of the Tome o' Cheats (I had to give in and build it just to help myself with testing, heh). The difference between the two is that the Tweak Pack gives it to you at the beginning of the game, whereas the UB version gives it to you later in the game in a certain store, where it was *cough* intended to be. I have no idea how it compares with the Platter's version that's out there, because to keep myself honest I didn't even download it to look at it. My version is 100% my own.

Finally, be aware that PS:T isn't very challenging in terms of combat, at least that's what most people say about it. I don't think it's really meant to be. Adding BG2 items may make the combat too easy, and if nothing else players should perhaps be warned about that.

I would also help you with some of the coding/testing, but I cannot do anything near your amazing .are patching earlier in the thread.

Lol, thanks! Other than cmorgan and Nythrun, I didn't think anyone had even bothered to look at it, heh. *crai*

Qwinn

Other than cmorgan and Nythrun, I didn't think anyone had even bothered to look at it, heh. *crai*
What am I, chopped liver? Ok, I probably didn't comment on it, because I probably didn't understand it, but I probably looked at it...

The tweak referenced in the prior post is done - it will remove the Mage-Only restriction from 3 major AC items in the game - the Magus Guard, the Magus Shield and the Ring of Thex. Due to a couple of other mage-only items which I'm not touching, mages are arguably still the best option if you want to be a tank, but this at least makes it a competition for best tank class rather than a total blowout in the mage's favor (by like 8 AC without this tweak)

Qwinn

Just so you know, I -am- respecting the G3 PST Tweak Pack convention of making copies of SCALPEL.ITM into the override with a new name as a marker for other mods to detect other installed components. G3 Tweak Pack uses the naming convention A!######.xxx, where the ###### is their code for their mod and the .xxx is literal. I'm using a Q prefix instead of A, thus making mine Q!######.xxx. For example, in my .tp2, when I install my fixpack, I do:

COPY_EXISTING ~SCALPEL.ITEM~ ~override/Q!FIXPCK.xxx~

You could go with I!, thus just put in your .tp2:

COPY_EXISTING ~SCALPEL.ITEM~ ~override/I!BG2ITM.xxx~

When I do my initial release over at SHS, and the forums open, I'll put up a sticky post with any WeiDU conventions like that that it would be a good idea for all PST modders to follow. And if anyone else out there wants to suggest good conventions that I should follow, please do make me aware of them... it should be noted that most of my WeiDU learning was a result of just reading the 206 documentation over at weidu.org, I didn't do all that much looking through existing mods to figure stuff out so I may well have missed other conventions.

Qwinn

Just so you know, I -am- respecting the G3 PST Tweak Pack convention of making copies of SCALPEL.ITM into the override with a new name as a marker for other mods to detect other installed components.
Not really necessary anymore since you can use MOD_IS_INSTALLED. Just clutters up the override (or whatever the PS:T equivalent is). Yeah, maybe there's folks who'll say it's "necessary" because mod components change numbers but the likelihood of that being an issue for PS:T is pretty much nil.
I'm using a Q prefix instead of A, thus making mine Q!######.xxx.
You might want to register that at BWL. I! is already taken (Icelus), but Q! isn't.
You might want to register that at BWL. I! is already taken (Icelus), but Q! isn't.

Is it really necessary to register PS:T mods in a registry of BG2 mods? Could there ever really be a conflict?

I mean, I have no problem with doing so, just sayin'.

Qwinn

Is it really necessary to register PS:T mods in a registry of BG2 mods? Could there ever really be a conflict?
Not really. Not if don't ever plan on modding BG2. A lot of BG2 modders don't bother registering either. But who knows, maybe your PS:T tweaks'll be ported to BG2 someday. It worked in reverse apparently, for some tweaks.

Edit:

I have CQ#, so that is for anything I add to it.
That means CQ, since a prefix is only the first two letters.

Progress Update:

All initial coding for all 3 mods done. PST-UB has 11 non-trivial components, Qwinn's PST-Tweak Pack has 6, including a couple of never before seen tweaks that I think people will like. All readmes, in html format, done.

Basically, just doing my playtest now.

Qwinn

How did you manage to get Platter's permission? He wasn't so keen on it when I asked him a few years ago, as he wanted only one version of code floating round. Sounds like good work, though!

I sent him mail requesting his permission, he never replied. That being the case, I am extending fair credit in the documentation and otherwise moving forward.

Were he to come in afterwards and object... well, here's the relevant snippets from my readme FAQ:

Q: What is this "Platter's Fixpack 1.37" you speak of?

A: Platter's Fixpack is a non-WeiDU Fixpack produced by a talented group of modders several years ago. It has also not been maintained since August 23, 2004, and attempts to contact Platter or the other authors - with the exception of SKARDAVNELNATE, see below - have failed. The mod and it's Readme that lists the contents of Platter's Fixpack 1.37 is still available online here (link). The listing of the bugs fixed is quite detailed and comprehensive, and all those bugs are also fixed in this mod.

Q: Are you just ripping off Platter's and the other modder's hard work and taking credit for it for yourself?

A: I don't think that would be a fair view. I am indeed extending to them great and repeated credit for their work, right in this Readme as well as in the .tph and .d files that do the actual modding work. But, our methods (non-WeiDU vs. WeiDU) of applying these fixes are completely different. With the exception of 3 .BAM files (item graphic icons), and two files that fix one spell (Ice Knife), and a couple of short script snippets which I'm outright copying and for which Platter and his gang deserve 100% of the credit, this mod required a very great deal of original work, and the main use I got out of referring to Platter's mod was to find out what the bugs were, not in actually fixing them (although just that in and of itself is deserving of a great deal of credit which I happily extend).

Q: I am Platter or one of the other modders who worked on the Fixpack, or I am Cilantro or one of the other modders who worked on the Restoration Pack, and I hate what you've done here. You are stealing our work. I despise you with the white hot passion of a thousand burning suns. May I have your lawyer's phone number?

A: Yikes. How about sending me an email first, since I did try to send you one before starting this. As for the lawyer thing - have you lost a source of legal income because of what I've done here? If so, please -do- sue me so I can find out how, I'd love to find a legal way to make a dime off all this myself. Being only lightly employed sucks.

Q: I am Platter or one of the other modders who worked on the Fixpack, or I am Cilantro or one of the other modders who worked on the Restoration Pack, and I think what you've done here is great, thanks for all the credit and for respecting our work enough to keep it alive!

A: Hey, no problem at all, drop me a note anyway, you guys did some serious quality work and documented what you did amazingly well, thanks for that, seriously, it helped a lot.

I dunno. With all due respect to Platter and his great work, I think that after almost 4 years of no activity in maintaining your work, you lose any authority you might've potentially earned in controlling all mod content addressed toward a given game. It's not like he came real close to fixing all the bugs and I'm just tacking on a couple more fixes. As it stands right now, fixes to bugs addressed by Platter account for maybe 15% of my Fixpack, max.

Qwinn

Archived