Possible correction to .ARE page

Qwinn

In the .ARE section, in the "v1.0 Region" section, it says that "This section is 0xC4h bytes in length." It seems to be 0xc8 bytes in length to me.

If I'm wrong on this, please let me know, cause if I am I'm failing to understand something rather important to something I'm trying to do.

Qwinn

EDIT: NM, sigh. That only occasionally added "h" tends to throw me, plus I miscounted. It is in fact 0xc4 in length. Sorry. Never worked with hex in this much detail before.

Well, let's not let the thread go totally to waste. Pretty sure I found something legitimately wrong with the area page now.

In the "Doors" section of the Area table, there's these entries:

0x002c 4 (dword) Index of first vertex comprising the door outline (when open)

0x0030 2 (word) Count of vertices comprising the door outline (when open)

0x0032 2 (word) Index of first vertex comprising the door outline (when closed)

0x0034 4 (dword) Index of first vertex comprising the door outline (when closed)

Note that the descriptions at the third and fourth items on that list excerpt have the exact same description, despite having a different size. Referring to Near Infinity, the description of that field at 0x0032 should probably be "Count of vertices comprising the door outline (when closed)"

Hoping this redeems me for the lame mistake that started this thread, heh.

Qwinn

Got another one, I think.

The .ARE page lists an Actor block as being 0x1b8 in total length. I believe the actual length is 0x110. This is backed up both by looking in NI, and by SConrad who in this tutorial states:

The size for the actor block is 272 bytes, which is really sweet because it gives us a simply hexadecimal value (0x0110).

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s...=adding++actors

Qwinn

The other section regarding vertexes for "impeded" doors in the doors area of the ARE file is wrong as well.

Here's how it is now:

x0048 4 (dword) Index of first "vertex" in the impeded cell block (when open). These are not actually vertices, they are instead cell coordinates (each cell corresponding to one tile in the WED file's tilemap structures. When the door is closed, these cells cannot be entered by any object.

0x004c 2 (word) Count of "vertices" in impeded cell block (when open)

0x004e 2 (word) Index of first "vertex" in the impeded cell block (when closed). These are not actually vertices, they are instead cell coordinates (each cell corresponding to one tile in the WED file's tilemap structures. When the door is closed, these cells cannot be entered by any object.

0x0050 4 (dword) Count of "vertices" in impeded cell block (when closed)

If Near Infinity is correct, this is very jumbled up. The closed's come before the opens, and the sizes are wrong. It should be this:

x0048 4 (dword) Index of first "vertex" in the impeded cell block (when closed). These are not actually vertices, they are instead cell coordinates (each cell corresponding to one tile in the WED file's tilemap structures. When the door is closed, these cells cannot be entered by any object.

0x004c 2 (word) Count of "vertices" in impeded cell block (when closed)

0x004e 2 (word) Count of "vertices" in impeded cell block (when open)

0x0050 4 (dword) Index of first "vertex" in the impeded cell block (when open). These are not actually vertices, they are instead cell coordinates (each cell corresponding to one tile in the WED file's tilemap structures. When the door is closed, these cells cannot be entered by any object.

Qwinn

Archived