ran into trouble with Amber

Guest N3rull

Guest N3rull

There's something wrong going on with Amber in Ust Natha in my game. I reached the Underdark, got a fancy new black skin, rescued Faere, "sort-of-killed" the svifnebli patrol and slayed the fat eyeball.

Now I'm having a problem I haven't come across in any of the dozen BG2 games before :(

a) I have the quest to fetch the big fish a brain, but I can't enter the priestess' quarters. A drow guard is telling me to foul off. If I remember correctly, she should either be dismissable or should have disappeared... but the guard simply won't go away. This isn't normal.

b) I have the quest from Faere to go kill Soulafein, but when I reach him I can't talk to him (I mean he only says he wants some alcohol to forget that he ever met that Faere b***h, and gives no conversation options). That means I can only kill him to complete the quest, which, judging by the fact all my PCs are Neutral Good, is not to my liking. Not normal.

c) the reason I actually think it' something to do with Amber: when I attempted to sleep in the tavern in Ust Natha for the first time, the resting wouldn't begin. Instead, a touchy music started playing and Amber looked all itchy as every time she wants to talk to my PC2, who she is romancing. However, she did not start a talk. I attempted to rest again and it worked, my party rested :party: Three more times I slept in that tavern and twice I had to repeat the attempt because Amber seemed to have wanted to say something, yet she didn't. Also, a few times when my party was walking through the city, she stopped just like she always does before "targeting" my PC2 for one of her chit-chats, but did not initiate any.

What may be wrong? Does she really have something to say that she has to say before my game moves on?

My party is

Sevarg, human NG Ranger(Archer) :band: Saerileth

Antavaer, human NG Sorcerer :bday: Amber

Aerie, Imoen (didn't have the heart to leave her in spellhold :borg: guess I'm too roleplayish)

Also I have been through Underdark in BG2 six or so times unmodded and at least 4 times with Saerileth as the only mod, with no problems whatsoever. This game is my first with Amber tagging along, so thus I believe it's her vile mischief :D just kiddin' :band:

But really, what may be wrong? :D

Guest Severance

Well, I can offer you a work around for the brain quest. If you threaten the fish thing and tell it that you'll expose its plot if it exposes you then it should give up on making you fetch the brain.

As for Soulafein, perhaps you can pickpocket him and take the cloak you need to complete the quest.

You've encountered a bug that affects only the player 2's romance. If you enter the Underdark when Amber's romance active is set to 2, you won't be able to rest in the Ust Natha area. If I'd gotten the new version released this issue wouldn't been coming up since I've fixed it ages ago. I'm sorry about that. :(

However, that should under no circumstances affect the drow quests like that. It's a simply question of a misspelled variable in a lovetalk that triggers in the tavern when you rest. Can you load from a bit earlier save and try approaching Solaufein and the guard again? Sometimes the IE just gets tangled up like that.

Guest N3rull

I managed to make Soulafein quest work. I had to make three (!) turns in walking from Faere to Soulafein and back again, starting the same quest again and again, until it worked. Still can't make the brainiac work, and the fish would not talk to me when I approach (I come close enough to the bottle and click on it to talk, but nothing happens).

Also, another funny phenomenon. I went to the tavern and decided to fight some monsters. I led all my team into the cage for a fight with an umber hulk. It didn't even manage to squeak once. But... the cage didn't open then. :( So my party was essentially trapped in the cage with a rotting umber hulk corpse. I had to reload the game ;d

Also, another funny phenomenon. I went to the tavern and decided to fight some monsters. I led all my team into the cage for a fight with an umber hulk. It didn't even manage to squeak once. But... the cage didn't open then. :( So my party was essentially trapped in the cage with a rotting umber hulk corpse. I had to reload the game ;d

That has happened to me once, in an unmodded game. The IE engine has hiccups...

Archived