Romance wishlist

Tam

Hey, I'm new here, but I've always wanted to be able to romance Haer'Dalis.  I think that he's possibly one of the most colorful characters in Baldur's Gate, and it was a pitty BioWare decided not to develope him more character-wise.

Anyways, onto my "requests."  The way I view Haer'Dalis, is that he isn't the type to just use a woman in a sexual way and throw her out like it didn't matter or anything, I think that he just doesn't see the point of continuing something that he thinks will end very soon.  He seems to be very "of the moment," but in a way thinks farther ahead than one would expect from one such as he.

Forgive me if I'm repeating what someone has already said, but that's some of my views on him.  He also appears very flirtatios and advances very quickly, and also, as WysdomsGirl put it, he's not used to being refused by anybody, and, I might add, not used to being totally tied down either.  Maybe that will come into play?

Regardless of how you guys do this, I'm sure it will come out wonderful!  I can't wait for it to be released!  Thanks a bunch for making this mod!

-alicornsoulsword

And I have gathered from reviews and such that the 3rd edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting includes a chapter about contraceptives (it made the reviewer wonder what kinds of games the writers usually play...). It's kind of expensive, so I don't think I will be buying it just to find out, but I suppose I could ask someone who already owns the book. Someone who already thinks I'm weird, preferably...

I don't own that book, but speaking of the real world, there are a number of plants that can be used to make contraceptives and these have been known to traditional mediceine for quite a long time. They are probably known in FR as well, and could be gotten from midwives, druids, alchemists and the like.

Magic being what it is, there are probably a few spells that would do the job as well.

I can't give you any specifics, so maybe you should still seek out that book. :D

Just a reminder Barren Fischa that while yes, in Medieval Society, there was both religious and practical ideas against contraception, they don't necessarily apply on Faerun.

First, there are many of faiths (Sune among them, the Goddess of Love) that would actually endorse such things, leaving it up to the individual in question to make the decision.

As for how readily available.  Well, in a place of magic, and herbwifes, and such who can actually brew magical potions (not to mention magical equivalents to Norplant, both male and female), I would say contraception could be prevalent, depending on the method.  An amulet that made sure you didn't procreate while you wore it would be much more expensive than a simple potion.  Ultimately, this is a call for the mod creator to decide on though.

Just a reminder Barren Fischa that while yes, in Medieval Society, there was both religious and practical ideas against contraception, they don't necessarily apply on Faerun.

I' must say I 100% agree with you: I guess this issue should be adressed according to character's profesion, that's why I'm wondering how did the PC and Anomen handle this (after all he's the priest of Helm and member of the Order - i mean the LG  Anomen). I wonder if someone has any idea about how come the pc doesn't get pregnant with anomen?

But I think that neither HD nor the PC (well depending of the player's beliefs) would have any problems with that.

However also in the medieval times the contracepcy was quite spread among the aristocracy, and as well in the other parts of the world (China, India)

I don't have time to write all my requests right now  :D  so this should follow somewhere in the near future

Here's a far-fetched request for you!

Considering the occasional planes-jumping subplots in BG, is there a chance you could create a whole new sidequest with the PC and party ending up in Sigil?  

Ex. of in-game mod...in the Lavok sphere quest when you need to find the demon heart, instead of some random level of hell, have the party pop up in the Cage!  There is much potential for H'D background: old friends, his once-mentioned sister(who he admitted was the only person who bested him in swordplay), maybe even old flames...  A Sigil visit could even be done by extending the original 'save H'D' plot, or maybe the old Five Flagons portal could crop up at some pt., perhaps w/ a planar seeking H'D(for help in Sigil, w/ sister?).  Maybe it could happen in ToB(can't think right now of a good spot, maybe tied to PC's dimension teleport?)  

Or if not Sigil, since that would require a new area, there could be NPCs from other planes who know H'D running around in the Lavok sphere or elsewhere.  Just a few thoughts for what would be an original but relevant NPC quest(esp. to help the PC understand her would-be lover's background. :D  )

Best wishes to the mod :D

Here's idea for you guys :

You could make a few npc interjections in the lovetalks: conflict with Anomen (mostly on Anomen's part, I could see HD being highly amused by Anomen's reaction at first then growing annoyed), Jaheriera being protective motherly figure and dissaproving of the bard, for example.

Yes, there will be a conflict with Anomen (and with Aerie, as you may have gathrered from a certain discussion here...).

As for other NPCs, there might be an interjection here and there, but probably nothing regular. In the class specific lovetalks, other NPCs of the same class might have something to say, for example.

At one point I was planning a storytelling marathon if you happen to have Haer'Dalis, Jan and Imoen in the party, but that might fall outside the scope of the romance. But it would be fun, so you never know...

In keeping with my impression of Haer'Dalis as a bit of a cad, I thought it would be fun if he would ocasionally flirt with random females in the game. He wouldn't be interested in them really, only in provoking the PC to tease her. The PC could have various reactions from giving him a cold stare, playing along pretending she doesn't care and knows his game, or throwing a fit and storming off. HD would react accordingly by giving the PC some poetic compliament or appologizing (but still being amused at her outburst).

I hope that made some sense.

Well, we did discuss something similar at one point, but then it was as an actual lovetalk, and that would have been a bit difficult to do, since it could have lead to a situation where the romance wouldn't progress until you entered an area where there was actually someone to flirt with...

But as a small, non-lovetalk diversion it would work. We're already planning a few things that will happen after the romance is completed, and this could be done the same way, I suppose (not necessarily after the romance, but sort of independent from it).

I hope Haer's romance would reach it's more interesting point in the maze level of Watcher's Keep. (Site of Yakman)

Haer had too few dialogues in that place, and though it's a dungeon it's the perfect setting for some of the most interesting dialogues. (not "occurences")

It would suit HD fine if at some point at the beginning of ToB he'd take a time off from the romance by rethinking his beliefs and outlook to life (if by some chance the romance will end up with him rethinking his happy-go-lucky CN lifestyle), and over the course of this banter indifferently mention something about how things are happening as they are.

Haer would comment on how life is too linear, too uninteresting, too pointless and that this is why it would suit him just fine if someone died or everything blew up then and there. The logic behind his at-last-oblivion thinking or entropy - the destruction of everything and the decay and annihilation of life, should be taken into consideration since otherwise the romance would be surface-type, attached purely on simple, aesthetic details which would still result in its destruction because of Haer's infallible belief in Entropy. If forced on him instantly this would probably drive him mad (madder), so a transition which could probably last for the most part of the game until the last fights when in comes realization, or anything, yadayadayada and then things taken on a sudden vertical ascent. This is possible in more ways than in the romance itself, since the Blade is one of the most powerful (if not already) kits in existence in BG2.

The PC would be given the impression that the best way to fix up Haer would be to sacrifice some time for Haer (if the Pc doesn't want to, she doesn't deserve Haer. :D)

And in comes the only deviation from Linear ToB - Watcher's Keep.

It would be interesting if Haer Dalis mentioned something, or in the course of the romance revelead parts of his heritage and life in Sigil, but I think it should get further than this since it would complicate the romance unnecessarily and there are already enough outer-planar events in the game. (and demons, for that matter)

It would really help though, if Drizzt himself made a special entree into this romance (Haer is the second best swordsman in the Prime Material, second only to Drizzt himself) more as a wow factor than anything, so Drizzt himself doesn't get screwed and the romance doesn't become on top of the i-hate-it list of Drizzt fans. It would come like something as a challenge that never ended in bloodshed, except it would have great effects on Haer's philosophy - if good he'd blame you for not giving him the perfect chance to get second-best off his resume^, or question your intentions, or if evil you'd calm Haer, saying that Drizzt isn't worth it yet and there would come perfect oppurtunities later.

There's also Drizzt other rival, his sibling from the other plane who's the only one who could best him there. Considering that he's being hunted, it would yield to something like an Anomen's sister episode, and while the good PC would try to prevent Haer's murder of his own sibling evil would encourage it.

Just a few thoughts. Not expecting anything, just dishing out a few ideas that could help liven up the romance. :D

Good luck! I'm certainly all-support for this mod.

Interesting ideas.

We have talked about doing something for Watcher's Keep, but we're not really working on the ToB part at the moment, so nothing has been decided on. I don't know about making it critical to the romance (that would somehow take the only non-linear part of ToB and make it linear too, for one thing...), but at least it should be possible to make it connected to the romance (different comments and interactions dependning on how long you've gotten in the romance, and which path you've chosen, for example).

Haer'Dalis doesn't seem to react to the plane-related things that happen in SoA either, by the way, so if we add dialogue for Watcher's Keep we should probably do something similar for the Planar Sphere, the Shade Lord and so on ("and so on" means that I can't think of any other plane-related quests, but I'm sure there are other places he could say something).

Drizzt probably won't turn up, though. I'm allergic.  :D

(I don't think not being the greatest swordsman would really bother him that much, by the way. In a party that includes Sarevok, Mazzy and a main character who is focusing on swords, he would not even beclose to being the best swordsman in the party, never mind the world. And then there are the other worlds...)

A conflict with his sister would be a lot more interesting. We already have a secret encounter related to Haer's past planned for ToB, but I'm sure we could work something out.

Archived