Romance wishlist

Tam

What about gifts? In many romances you are (or will be) able to give and receive gifts to/from your beloved. What sort of gift giver/receiver would Haer be? Would he prefer practical or sweet - but not so practical - gifts? (Is it possible to ha gift that is both practical an sweet?)

Would there be difference in preference (between the practical and sweet) if it's a gift he gives or one that is given to him by the PC? Or is he of the type that 'forgets' all occasions, but has a really good explanation or apology ready?

-Meira

I like the idea. It will probably be more sweet than practical, however, since there are enough practical items in the game already...

A gift from Haer'Dalis to the PC would probably be some kind of novelty item he's picked up on some plane – for some reason I'm thinking of a glass flower, but that's probably just because I've beed reading Neil Gaiman's "Stardust". It wouldn't have any practical use whatsoever, but it could perhaps be said to have some minor enchantment that wouldn't really show up in the game. It could for example be a charm against nightmares, that Haer'Dalis would give the PC after she's had the Slayer dream. The item wouldn't do anything, really, but it would fit in with the storyline anyway.

A gift from the PC to Haer should probably be something similar in terms of actual practical use – perhaps a magical quill that doesn't need ink or a pair of magical scabbards for his swords (note the subtle sexual reference :D ).

I like the idea of glass flower against nightmares. After all while we know that the nightmares stop after slayer dream Charname does not know that, so the flower would seem to work like a charm. Gaiman is a wonderful writer; though I can't decide if I like Stardust better than Neverwhere.

or a pair of magical scabbards for his swords (note the subtle sexual reference :D).

Noted. :D

There is a magical scabbard for Foebane (I think) in ToB that enchants the blade - so I suppose that the player would expect the scabbards to do something. I don't remember if Item upgrade makes possible to upgrade Haer's blades, but if it does not, perhaps there would be room for improvement. There are so many nifty short swords in the game that I'm tempted to make him use other blades, though role-playing wise he probably would prefer to stick with his own.

As for the non-practical... how about a snowglobe? (Don't ask.) To calm a restless mind?

-Meira

There is a magical scabbard for Foebane (I think) in ToB that enchants the blade - so I suppose that the player would expect the scabbards to do something.

Well, then they would at least be sure to carry it with them, eagerly waiting for something to happen :D (actually, I'd forgotten the scabbard in ToB...)

I don't remember if Item upgrade makes possible to upgrade Haer's blades, but if it does not, perhaps there would be room for improvement. There are so many nifty short swords in the game that I'm tempted to make him use other blades, though role-playing wise he probably would prefer to stick with his own.

Yes, Item Upgrade changes the swords to +3 and gives them some new abilities, but if I remember correctly, I didn't think they were really appropriate when I looked at them.

But a sword upgrade has actually been planned as a part of the romance from the beginning.

Personally, I don't like how D&D (and therefore BG) handles magical weapons. I would like magical weapons to be unique, personal items that are hard to find and that you hang on to for the rest of your life when you have found them, and not something you find lying around in shops and sell as soon as you can afford a better one.

But since we're not about to remove half of the magical weapons from the game just because I don't like them, and there will be need for better weapons towards the end of the game, upgrading the swords seems like the best solution. Even though I can't help thinking of software system requirements – "this demon requires short sword +2.11 or better. All major sound cards are supported" :D

Well, there will be a new quest in ToB, but I'm not going to reveal any details :D

For the SoA part, the two Haer'Dalis quests that will at some point be restored by Unfinished Business should be enough. They won't be necessary to finish the romance, but there will be some tie-ins. And really, everyone should get Unfinished Business anyway. :D

Regarding Haer'Dalis' reason for not joining the Sensates after all I was sort of planning to go for the slightly less dramatic "he changed his mind"...

Regarding Haer'Dalis' reason for not joining the Sensates after all I was sort of planning to go for the slightly less dramatic "he changed his mind"...

That's probably for the best. Society of Sensation and Doomguard are not that opposing factions after all. If he had been pondering between Harmonium (or some other lawful faction) and Doomguard - now that would be something that would require a good explanation.

-Meira

I know this is an old topic, and propably this suggestion comes too late, but I have always wanted to ask Haer'dalis about his relationship with Raelis Shai. I think it would fit nicely to the romance and cause some fireworks perhaps (at least as far as the pc is concerned ;) ).

Well, that's one of the few things we know about Bioware's plans for the romance, so it's been planned not just from the beginning, but since before the beginning.

If you have any other requests that are this easy to fulfill, just bring them on ;)

Guest Alaya

*laugh* Ya, it should be interesting, considering Haer'Dalis said that she would always have his heart. Does that play in later in the romance? Like Haer'Dalis talking to the pc about it (or the pc talking to Haer'Dalis about it, whichever the case is)?

Oh how I would like to play it according to what kind of character I have in the game ;) . I mean, if she is the jealous type or not. If she is jealous, she would propably ask in some point herself, if she isn't, then what's the point asking. There should be at least two ways to be able to have the possible conversation about Raelis (you wanted more requests, JPS? Will this do? ;) ).

*laugh*  Ya, it should be interesting, considering Haer'Dalis said that she would always have his heart.

Ummm...yes but he also says that their journey has ended and he want's to start a new one (or something like that)...

But yes, if they would meet again something could happen ;)

*laugh*  Ya, it should be interesting, considering Haer'Dalis said that she would always have his heart.

I would actually be really surprised (or disappointed, really) if Haer did not say the exactly same to Charname at some point. He has probably said that to many girls in his life and I see no reason why he should stop now. Also I don't think he's lying either. ;)

I agree though that it would be nice Charname be able to be jealous about Raelis (and the unnamed others), but there should also be an option to react differently. To be compassionate to Realis and worried that Haer leaves *you* as smoothly and unexpectedly when something potentially more interesting pops out. Third possible reaction could be that (over)confident one, not jealous or worried, but dead certain that Haer is now with you and it's going to stay that way.

Does that play in later in the romance?  Like Haer'Dalis talking to the pc about it (or the pc talking to Haer'Dalis about it, whichever the case is)?

I would vote for optional force talk topic - PC could initiate it if she want's to ask about Raelis, but if she's not interested then it would not interrupt the romance. I would assume that Haer is smart enough not to start talking about past loves on his own. Unless he wants to provoke you on purpose.

Guest Alessandra

I was wondering if there would be anything about age in the mod? I imagine that as a Tiefling, Haer'Dalis would live much longer than say, a human. Would there be anything about that? Shifting from race to race, perhaps, as elves do live long? How tragic, his true love dies away from him as his beloved decay'n death'n stuff takes place...

Archived