Issues

the bigg

And bigg, did you have anything specific in mind? Also, I've now had a chance to check both Shapeshifting fix options, and I get that stutter on both of them.

I'm going to create a new topic in General Mod Discussion, since the SHS thread isn't getting much joy.

Congratulations for cross-thread spamming.

So, did you have anything specific in mind?

While bigg has another beer and considers his response, I've realised that I'll most likely use the stat points dickery to give Viconia 11 strength (probably knocking a point off her intelligence in the process), thereby allowing her to use both maces and morning stars (I gots me that Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies installed).

This is going to be a great mod.

I assume that's just for flavour, berelinde?

I've been thinking about Cernd, and I thought about maybe doing this:

Strength: 10 (-3)

Dexterity: 16 (+7)

Constitution: 10 (-3)

Intelligence: 11 (-1)

Wisdom: 18

Charisma: 15

At least then he'll be a bit better. I didn't give him 18 dexterity because I don't want to start doing a 'Pimp My NPC' thing.

I assume that's just for flavour, berelinde?

I've been thinking about Cernd, and I thought about maybe doing this:

Strength: 10 (-3)

Dexterity: 16 (+7)

Constitution: 10 (-3)

Intelligence: 11 (-1)

Wisdom: 18

At least then he'll be a bit better. I didn't give him 18 dexterity because I don't want to start doing a 'Pimp My NPC' thing.

My 0.0128592 euros on Cernd :

Strength: 13

Dexterity: 12

Constitution: 17

Intelligence: 10

Wisdom: 15

Charisma: 13

Cernd doesn't deserve W:18, and he's definitely not the sharpest tack on the board (thus I:10).

C:17 matches the description of his cloak that says Cernd spent much time hardening himself in the wilderness.

All other stats ensure he's still a passably useful Druid.

Yet a now-illegal druid, with the nerf to Charisma putting it under 15. I always thought that a particularly stupid requirement for folks who hang out in the forest and talk to animals, but that's canon for you.

I also thought we discussed at some point the ability for L1NPCs to output a warning if you're doing something illegal. Obviously, the mod lets you do that, and that's the point for some people, but not everyone can be expected to know all the rules either, so "friendly warnings" would be nice :p. In some cases, it could let you know right away, since some existing characters have illegal stats.

Yet a now-illegal druid, with the nerf to Charisma putting it under 15. I always thought that a particularly stupid requirement for folks who hang out in the forest and talk to animals, but that's canon for you.
Agreed. In past PnP games my DMs used to make Druids anti-social types. But to meet the game reqs, Let's steal some points and make it:

Strength: 12

Dexterity: 12

Constitution: 16

Intelligence: 10

Wisdom: 15

I also thought we discussed at some point the ability for L1NPCs to output a warning if you're doing something illegal. Obviously, the mod lets you do that, and that's the point for some people, but not everyone can be expected to know all the rules either, so "friendly warnings" would be nice :p . In some cases, it could let you know right away, since some existing characters have illegal stats.
Shouldn't that just be in the ReadMe?
I also thought we discussed at some point the ability for L1NPCs to output a warning if you're doing something illegal. Obviously, the mod lets you do that, and that's the point for some people, but not everyone can be expected to know all the rules either, so "friendly warnings" would be nice :p . In some cases, it could let you know right away, since some existing characters have illegal stats.
Shouldn't that just be in the ReadMe?
It's sort of in the FAQ, right before "I turned Kagain and Korgan into paladins with your mod, and it was stupid." But we were talking about doing it programatically at once point - I think Nythrun brought it up actually. Knowing her, she could probably code it in 5 minutes, but it'd likely have to wait for a future version.

My biggest hedge is that I have to offer a few more nuisance prompts: "Follow statistic requirements when selecting class?" "Follow race requirements when selecting class?" "Follow alignment requirements when selecting class?" and then repeat that mess for kits.

It could be consolidated into a single "Enter 0 to OBEY THE WHIMSY OF GYGAX, enter 1 to be warned if you fail to OBEY THE WHIMSY OF GYGAX, enter 2 if you think you can be trusted to make up your own mind." prompt (first thing, before making any other choices) I suppose.

It'd take more than five minutes, but it's feasible - I'm just wary of anything that makes the mod take longer to install :p

What are the consequences of giving someone illegal stats? I mean, does it actually make a difference to the game? If not, I personally wouldn't worry about it too much. If someone wants to use this mod to do crazy things with a character's class/kit (and now stats) then that's up to them.

I'm really not sure I like the whole "Follow statistic requirements when selecting class?" "Follow race requirements when selecting class?" "Follow alignment requirements when selecting class?" bit, although maybe some people would like these safeguards.

The way the mod works now is fine I think, and the addition of stats dickery will make it just about perfect. Just out of interest, how do you plan to do the stats thing, Nythrun? Will you allow us to put whatever figure we want in an attribute (the 'cheating' version), or will there be a total amount (the total relevant to that NPC) that we can distribute however we wish (the 'non-cheating' version)?

... I'm just wary of anything that makes the mod take longer to install :)

Yeah, big consideration, there.

If the decision were up to me, I'd just put the relevant requirements in the readme.

For example:

Please note that this mod may be used to give NPCs illegal statistics, proficiencies, and classes, at player discretion. The following original game restrictions follow, as a reference.

Paladin

Alignment: Lawful good

Race: Human

Stats: 17 charisma

Weapons: Any

etc.

It could be consolidated into a single "Enter 0 to OBEY THE WHIMSY OF GYGAX, enter 1 to be warned if you fail to OBEY THE WHIMSY OF GYGAX, enter 2 if you think you can be trusted to make up your own mind." prompt (first thing, before making any other choices) I suppose.
I'd go with this option. It's just one more prompt, and it sure beats combing through the readme, the game manual or the rulebooks every time you want to make a decision (assuming you want to play by the rules, and some folks do). And it's for this reason I wouldn't add the info to the readme, because it's already available elsewhere in document form. But it's not an essential feature, not for this release anyway.

I'd been thinking of distributing points from the existing stat total, or just allowing you to move the existing stats around - I hadn't decided and am open to hearing preferences.

Neither way is going to work too well with exceptional strength.

Archived