Sign in to follow this  
Sister Vigilante

Tadaima~!

..."tadaima" being, of course, the traditional Japanese way to announce that one is home, for instance in one's home-stay; to which the traditional Japanese reply is of course: "Do you have any idea what sort of hour it is? You reek of Roppongi and cheap sake! We rue the day we ever permitted you into our household, you feckless American degenerate!"

In any case, while I'm still in Japan, my workload is such--and I have internet access regularly enough--to formalize some kind of semi-permanent return. I'd like to thank everyone--Amaurea especially--who's done their best to answer questions in the meantime. Three cheers!

:p

Other than that, not much has changed I guess. But if you post here--as has been increasingly obvious recently, in any case--there is a pretty good chance you'll hear from me in person :p

-SV

Edited by Sister Vigilante

Oh I definitely need to know more Japanese words for when I go next year (which won't be until autumn). At the moment my vocabulary is limited to "konichiwa", "arigato", "unagi" and "suzume bachi" (which would likely be followed by "Aieeee!") Which is all well and good but probably wouldn't be too helpful in the general scheme of things. :p

If you've seen that anime, MONSTER, you would know that "tadaima" is probably one of the scarier words in the Japanese language, and would not do something like give a poor girl a heart attack by using said word as a subject heading for a forum post.

That being said, glad to see you have regular internets again, and am SO jealous that you get to be in Japan. Is it hot enough for you? My sister went there last summer, and she almost died from the heat and humidity. Also, the giant bugs.

Oh I definitely need to know more Japanese words for when I go next year (which won't be until autumn). At the moment my vocabulary is limited to "konichiwa", "arigato", "unagi" and "suzume bachi" (which would likely be followed by "Aieeee!") Which is all well and good but probably wouldn't be too helpful in the general scheme of things.

Can I give you a strange piece of advice? I've come to the conclusion that Japanese people respect you more if you don't speak any Japanese, than if you speak a little. I'm not quite sure how to explain this. But roughly, Japanese people know how to treat someone who doesn't speak a word of their language; but dropping in a few words makes things complicated and awkward for them. Maybe?

Nevermind, forget I said anything :p

But incidentally...for anyone who's seen Kill Bill, a film often derided for having no connection to reality whatsoever, it contains a scene of absolutely uncanny realism: where the Bride walks into Hanzo's sushi restaraunt. I guarantee, that is exactly what will happen to you if you go into a Japanese establishment, right down to the weird bald guy who comes out to serve the tea.

If you've seen that anime, MONSTER, you would know that "tadaima" is probably one of the scarier words in the Japanese language, and would not do something like give a poor girl a heart attack by using said word as a subject heading for a forum post.

Uhp! Sorry :p

That being said, glad to see you have regular internets again, and am SO jealous that you get to be in Japan. Is it hot enough for you? My sister went there last summer, and she almost died from the heat and humidity.

It's still not so bad. Glad I'll be leaving by August, which I understand is the worst.

Also, the giant bugs.

Oh God, don't say that...When I was in Taiwan we stayed at this tiny Buddhist temple in the mountains, where the spiders were literally as big as your hand. You'd see this one hanging there between two trees as if levitating, shillouetted against the brilliant cobalt sky. One of my friends said, "I'm coming back every hour to look at that thing, and the hour it's not there, is the same hour I'm leaving."

Between those and the dreaded suzume bachi, I'm not sure I'd want to live there. One of my colleagues used to live and work in Japan and said the worst thing about being there was the cockroaches and finding an iguana in her bathroom.

The one thing about living in the UK is there's no scary wildlife. I know someone who was bitten by an adder but those are rare and they're not generally lethal to anyone but the very old, very young or very ill.

I'm off to Texas at the end of the month, talking of heat and humidity. Hopefully my skin won't fall off like last time. :p

Between those and the dreaded suzume bachi, I'm not sure I'd want to live there. One of my colleagues used to live and work in Japan and said the worst thing about being there was the cockroaches and finding an iguana in her bathroom.

The one thing about living in the UK is there's no scary wildlife. I know someone who was bitten by an adder but those are rare and they're not generally lethal to anyone but the very old, very young or very ill.

I'm off to Texas at the end of the month, talking of heat and humidity. Hopefully my skin won't fall off like last time. :p

I'm pretty sure those hornets stick to the rural areas...although I don't know where they build theme parks...

As for Texas, on the other hand, it's full of Texans.

(I kid you Texas, I kid. I had a lot of fun hanging out at your giant Wal-Mart that night my transfer flight to New Orleans was canceled.)

I'm pretty sure those hornets stick to the rural areas...although I don't know where they build theme parks...

I hope so! Apparently their sting not only feels like a hot nail being driven through you but also releases a pheromone that attracts more hornets. I would rather give them a wide berth, if possible! (Apparently, hornet sashimi is something of a local delicacy, though...)

I've been to Dallas a couple of times to visit Ion Storm and 3D Realms, amongst others, but managed to sneak off to Six Flags on two occassions. This was towards the end of the 90s so it's a few years ago now, and it'll be nice to see some other parts of Texas. The part I'm not looking forward to is the initial few days - we have to be at the airport at 5am (UK time) on the Saturday, then will be flying to Houston via Chicago and from there are going straight to the first park. :p I really love my rollercoasters but there are limits to how long my knackered old bod can stay awake. There are some very long days during the first part of the trip. Ah, but I must suffer for my hobby. :p

I hope so! Apparently their sting not only feels like a hot nail being driven through you but also releases a pheromone that attracts more hornets. I would rather give them a wide berth, if possible! (Apparently, hornet sashimi is something of a local delicacy, though...)

I've been to Dallas a couple of times to visit Ion Storm and 3D Realms, amongst others, but managed to sneak off to Six Flags on two occassions. This was towards the end of the 90s so it's a few years ago now, and it'll be nice to see some other parts of Texas. The part I'm not looking forward to is the initial few days - we have to be at the airport at 5am (UK time) on the Saturday, then will be flying to Houston via Chicago and from there are going straight to the first park. :D I really love my rollercoasters but there are limits to how long my knackered old bod can stay awake. There are some very long days during the first part of the trip. Ah, but I must suffer for my hobby. :)

I would imagine if nothing else could knock one bolt-wide-awake, a ride on a Texan rollercoaster could...

:) I really love my rollercoasters but there are limits to how long my knackered old bod can stay awake. There are some very long days during the first part of the trip. Ah, but I must suffer for my hobby. ;)

Not to go off topic, but ever been to Cedar Point, in Ohio? They seriously have the best roller coasters in the world (as voted on by roller coaster enthusiasts). I'm lucky to live fairly close, so my family goes there once a year. I love the Millenium Force and the Magnum. Both of those have these GINOURMOUS drops straight off the bat and if you stick your hands straight up it feels like you're free-falling/going to be sucked out of your seat.

Additionally, there are no hornets. The worst thing you'll have to contend with there are these giant puff-ball floaty seed-things, which once made my sister puke when she accidentally inhaled one. :D

Yes, I've been three times, though the last time was 2001 so I've not had chance to ride Dragster. Millennium Force was great although I always grey out heavily at the bottom of that first drop, heh.

And no, no hornets...but there are muffleheads. One of my friends got one right in the mouth when he was on Mantis, just in time for the on-ride photo. The pic was hilarious - he looked like Louis Armstrong on a trumpet solo.

At least they don't sting though, eh?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this