Amber stopped talking after Underdark

Guest Yet another guest

Guest Yet another guest

Hello, I think I might have run across a bug, sorry if it's been answered before but I nothing popped up while searching. I was romancing Amber with player 2 and everything was going fine. Romance was progressing normally without any problems untill I departed to the underdark.

I know the romance gets put on hold there, so wasn't worried when she got a little silent. After exiting the underdark however, Amber still wouldn't speak despite plenty of time having elapsed and remaining in chapter 6 (because I know most romances stop in chapter 7, not sure if this is the same for Amber). I checked the global variables and RomanceActive is still set to 2, but AmberMatch is set to 3. I read somewhere else on the forum this means she's not a match for neither player 1 nor 2.

I'm not sure why it changed, but if I had to guess I'd say it had to do with player 2s intelligence being drained below 12 by mind flayers, setting AmberMatch to 3 if that's possible.

I can imagine more people would have this problem if drained intelligence means the end of the relationship, so if so, maybe Amber should only check for the required stats when starting the romance? (Although I understand this would in turn cause trouble with temporary stat-buffing to get her to romance you, I'm not sure if there's a way to check for unbuffed stats?)

Anyway, I'm fairly certain I can get the romance going again by fiddling with the variables a bit (AmberMatch should be set to 2 for player 2 or something?), but just wanted to let you know this could be a source for some bugs.

Oh, and great mod by the way :(

Your variables are okay. If the AmberMatch variable is set to 3, it means that the Player2 is a match. After Amber's RomanceActive variable is set to 2, a drained stat won't make a difference (nor they should make earlier in the romance unless you're very unlucky).

Have you tried to ask her how she's doing (a click-talk)? If there's a talk with special conditions coming up next she will give a hint on how to meet the conditions. If that doesn't help you can you send me a savegame to <amber@welho.net>?

Guest Me again

The last talk I had before the descent was the one where she got mad at me for disagreeing. I couldn't "flirt" with her at any time because she was mad with me after that (or because I was in the UD). The conversation where you make up again must have been skipped somehow, no clue on how it could have happened.

After setting AmberMad to 0 however, the romance is now continuing normally again... I don't what, if any, other conversations were skipped though.

Guest Me again

The last talk I had before the descent was the one where she got mad at me for disagreeing. I couldn't "flirt" with her at any time because she was mad with me after that (or because I was in the UD). The conversation where you make up again must have been skipped somehow, no clue on how it could have happened.

After setting AmberMad to 0 however, the romance is now continuing normally again... I don't what, if any, other conversations were skipped though.

Ah I know of this one.

For the convos, you're meant to disagree with her twice over the same thing, mainly because she's being uber protective of her issues before you can apologise to her and she to you.

After that I think there's a one or two more dialogs (can't remember its been awhile) :( before the Underdark is a required go through area.

Did this by chance also cause you to miss content in the Underdark? Such as Amber wanting to speak to you alone in the Ust Natha inn?

Changing the variables yourself shouldn't have been nessecary, its mainly the course of things. ;)

Anyways sorry I can't give a more accurate reply, as I said, its been awhile since my last runthrough.

Edit: Typo

Yes the 'argument' takes two lovetalks, after which either the PC can apologise or (eventually) Amber will. If Amber's mad to the PC when the party enters the Underdark, the Underdark content will be skipped. (It's probably not a good idea to take a such a dangerous journey when you have unsolved issues with your loved ones!) That shouldn't stop the romance, though. It should continue after Underdark, when the lovetalks start progressing normally.

I would strongly advice against setting the variables by yourself, if I haven't explicitly told you to do so. I can't say for sure without checking, but I think that if you set the 'Mad' variable to 0 by yourself, in middle of the argument, the lovetalks will get stuck. You will be able to flirt with her and the floating lovetalks and the chapter talks will both trigger, but the main talk track might get stuck. But as I said, I'll have to check that out.

Anyway the bottom line is that you shouldn't (have to) set the variables by yourself.

EDIT: Guest, do you have an earlier save, made before you set the 'Mad' variable to 0? I would like to check if the talks indeed were stuck and if there's anything I can do to prevent that in the future.

I sent you the savegame you asked, I know I probably shouldn't have left for the udnerdark when she was mad, but I didn't want to sit around on the brynnlaw docks doing nothing for about an hour while she cooled off either :(. I think it's progressing normally now, even the main track, but didn't have time to check yet.

I don't like changing variables either, but she wasn't doing anything...

Well as I said before, two discussions before the make-up option comes up, I'm unsure if that too has a bit of a timer, but really that's all you'll need to go through before things get back on track.

Well worth the arguement if you ask me. :(

Archived