Need .tp2 Help

erebusant

That's weird, 'cause it works inside and outside of the ~~ in the example I gave. I think I had the UNSOLVED_JOURNAL string in quotes at first and it *didn't* work - it just gave the @163 instead of the real journal entry if I recall correctly. Also I thought the # references always drew from existing dialog.tlk strings. WeiDU sometimes... oh well, as long as you got it working.

That's weird, 'cause it works inside and outside of the ~~ in the example I gave. I think I had the UNSOLVED_JOURNAL string in quotes at first and it *didn't* work - it just gave the @163 instead of the real journal entry if I recall correctly. Also I thought the # references always drew from existing dialog.tlk strings. WeiDU sometimes... oh well, as long as you got it working.
It works if it is a brand new transition you are appending (EXTEND_BOTTOM) the bottom of an existing state with. It's when you use the ALTER_TRANS command that you run into the issue.

I honestly don't know anything regarding whether it should be @ or #... the main thing I was trying to communicate was that the tutorial instructions are wrong and the syntax should be:

ALTER_TRANS ... BEGIN "REPLY" ~@108~ END

...and not...

ALTER_TRANS ... BEGIN "REPLY" ~REPLY @108~ END

In other words, when editing both REPLY and JOURNAL entries, one should not repeat the word REPLY or JOURNAL within the string. Getting rid of that solved all my problems.

As for the use of # or @, in PS:T, where I don't have translation files to work with, I use @ and it works fine. I suggested that maybe # would be useful for translated files, but I said that being pretty much ignorant of how to work with translation files. So don't take anything I said in that regard as necessarily being true.

Qwinn

You may want to hold off on releasing anything with ALTER_TRANS ... ~REPLY~ ... - as # pointing to .tra references is behavior no one wants and is certainly a bug.

I'll hold off on releasing anything until WeiDU v207 or beyond rectifies this.

erebusant,

Are you saying you -can't- get it to work with @?

What happens if you do ALTER_TRANS ... BEGIN "UNSOLVED_JOURNAL" ~@108~ END?

Qwinn

EDIT: NM, I just reread this thread and realized it's rather different from the one over at PPG.

So the # pointing at a .tra file is a bug? I think I got that idea about # working from the error messages I was receiving when trying things (i.e., I tried # and got "no .tra file available" errors, or something like that).

Just out of curiosity, if that's the case, then how will erebusant be able to do what he's trying to do after that gets "fixed"? What would the proper method to do what he wants be?

Everywhere else, #106 is strref 106 in dialog.tlk (whether that strref exists or not). @106 points at "@106 = ~~[]" in some .tra file.

Hack around it with

COPY_EXISTING firkra02.dlg override
 READ_LONG 0x0c state_offset
 READ_LONG 0x14 response_offset
 READ_LONG state_offset + 36 * 0x10 + 0x04 response_index
 SAY response_offset + (response_index + 0x01) * 0x20 + 0x04 @106
BUT_ONLY

if you want.

Everywhere else, #106 is strref 106 in dialog.tlk (whether that strref exists or not). @106 points at "@106 = ~~[]" in some .tra file.

Yeah, it's backwards. I have no .tra files, I have to deal with the dialog.tlk strrefs directly, but if I replace the @ with a # in one of my ALTER_TRANS, I get the following errors when I install:

ERROR: No translation provided for @7596

ERROR: Cannot resolve strings in DHARLOTD

(Yes - the error says @7596 even though my code says #7596 at that point)

But then, when I do "SAY", I have to use #, if I use @, then I get yelled at about the translations.

Qwinn

As a "best practices" note, it's preferable to use @1 = ~Text.~ references rather than "hard coded" ~Text.~ for everything, even if you're not translated into any other languages (or not yet translated) - there are times when you need it for sound files and it does make the translating job easier.

--traify is meant to convert automatically, but it's not perfect.

Archived