Drizzt/Dynaheir Issues

Guest Mimic

Guest Mimic

Hi. So I am running .v15 and have the weirdest issues with the whole Drizzt/Dyna spellbook thing.

I got Dyna and she asked about the book, which I did not have. Then, my journal updates about maybe meeting Drizzt on the coast some day again.

So, I just ran into Drizzt for the first time and we fought the gnolls and now he has said nothing about Dyna's book and he has left.

My question is...is this supposed to be this way or should he mention Dyna's book like he did in past versions? Thanks!

This is exactly right. He will show up later on, somewhere along the (outdoor, southwestern) Sword Coast, and have the original conversation. He will no langer reappear anywhere in that original meeting area (too many troubles with spawn points not clearing, etc. - it is now run out of Dynaheir's scripts completely). Hope you enjoy your run, and can move up to v16 for your next playthrough :p

Hi. So I am running .v15 and have the weirdest issues with the whole Drizzt/Dyna spellbook thing.

I got Dyna and she asked about the book, which I did not have. Then, my journal updates about maybe meeting Drizzt on the coast some day again.

So, I just ran into Drizzt for the first time and we fought the gnolls and now he has said nothing about Dyna's book and he has left.

My question is...is this supposed to be this way or should he mention Dyna's book like he did in past versions? Thanks!

IIRC Drizzt will appear again and talk about the journal (page) in the first outdoor area you enter after leaving the area you first meet him in. So you're probably OK. Try going to another area and see if he reappears.

The journal entry sounds broken, though.

edit: heh, too slow. cmorgan beat me to it

Guest Mimic

Okay. I can understand that, but should he not mention, or rather shouldn't Dyna mention that she is looking for the book? Or does Drizzt just say "Oh, you have a mage in your group and I found this book. Here."?

Guest Mimic

Oh, I am not sure if I mentioned it, but the journal entry about Drizzt shows up before I ever meet Drizt. Then, when I meet him I get another journal entry. I am not sure that it is supposed to be this way? A journal entry before I actually meet the guy? Thanks!

Well, there is no resolution for your current game for any Journal entry issues - there will be for the next release, I am sure -if it isn't already in v16 (which I am pretty sure it is). The fix foe v16 in code is going to involve remapping and/or rewriting one .tra line, then contacting Immortality for an update of the Spanish version. So easy, but a bit of time to fix it.

I am afraid it will be a few days before I can post a fix you could implement, as I just got a (beauty of a) new computer, and am distracted by shiny fast OC'ing, 4GB of ultra-fast ram, and trying to make a reasonable stab at a testing setup for i.e. games on a dual boot of WinXP and Vista.

(You could also move up to v16, which I believe does fix this).

I am afraid it will be a few days before I can post a fix you could implement, as I just got a (beauty of a) new computer, and am distracted by shiny fast OC'ing, 4GB of ultra-fast ram, and trying to make a reasonable stab at a testing setup for i.e. games on a dual boot of WinXP and Vista.

Cool! Did you already get NWN2 or can I send you a copy? :)

Guest Mimic
Well, there is no resolution for your current game for any Journal entry issues - there will be for the next release, I am sure -if it isn't already in v16 (which I am pretty sure it is). The fix foe v16 in code is going to involve remapping and/or rewriting one .tra line, then contacting Immortality for an update of the Spanish version. So easy, but a bit of time to fix it.

Well. Drizzt has never shown back up

(You could also move up to v16, which I believe does fix this).

Already did. Started a new game and got the same issues. It really sucks if you will pardon the expression. Plus people are now talking at the wrong time. I actually had to uninstall the romance aspects just to get them to shut up, but there is still the interactions.

Oh, and the game was a clean install

@Domi - thanks very much, but I don't dare look at it for a few weeks, as I have to go to work rather than be "sick" :)

Mimic, I am not sure what to tell you that will help -

Except possibly there is a confusion. Drizzt never, ever returns to the same place you meet him. We had too many problems with other folks wanting to mod Drizzt, and our stuff would have made it tough for them to do so. So Drizzt should be in his original meeting area, then you talk to him, and then he leaves. Unless the other modder has him stay there to have more content. If you are nice and get the journal entry then *later on*, in another area anywhere outdoors in the SW Sword Coast, and you have Dynaheir in the party, Drizzt will show up and make a beeline for you. He will then talk about the journal again, offering a page from it and asking about help (either have him help, or not, it has different quest paths from there). Hope this helps.

The talking at the wrong time sounds like a scrambled install. What do you mean by "wrong time", please? And can you post your WeiDU.log here so we can take a look? Uninstalling a romance to get things to work right sounds very strange. No romance stuff touches this set of interactions at all.

Guest Mimic
Mimic, I am not sure what to tell you that will help -

Except possibly there is a confusion. Drizzt never, ever returns to the same place you meet him. We had too many problems with other folks wanting to mod Drizzt, and our stuff would have made it tough for them to do so. So Drizzt should be in his original meeting area, then you talk to him, and then he leaves. Unless the other modder has him stay there to have more content. If you are nice and get the journal entry then *later on*, in another area anywhere outdoors in the SW Sword Coast, and you have Dynaheir in the party, Drizzt will show up and make a beeline for you. He will then talk about the journal again, offering a page from it and asking about help (either have him help, or not, it has different quest paths from there). Hope this helps.

That was what I was trying to say. I never got the book. I got Dynaheir from the compound and then met Drizzt later. The journal noted that I had met Drizzt before I met him. Then when I DID meet him, and we finished off the gnolls, the topic of the journal never came up. I am now ready to go to the city and still no Drizzt anywhere. I have been to every section.

The talking at the wrong time sounds like a scrambled install. What do you mean by "wrong time", please? And can you post your WeiDU.log here so we can take a look? Uninstalling a romance to get things to work right sounds very strange. No romance stuff touches this set of interactions at all.

This is a clean install. Basically the second I pick up Branwen she talks about how the bandit could have washed his hair. This never happens in the vanilla game

Hmmm. Well, if you

a. met Dy

b. met Drizzt

c. killed gnolls

d. Drizzt had conversation with you and said "perhaps we will meet again along the Sword Coast" or something similar (new Journal entry)

e. have left the area and sat down anyplace along the outdoor Sword Coast to the west (I would have to look for the link)

f. still not gotten the second meeting with Drizzt, something is wrong.

Not sue about washing air. I will take a look to see if that is something we add on any pathway.

Basically the second I pick up Branwen she talks about how the bandit could have washed his hair. This never happens in the vanilla game

IIRC, is it not tied to having 'bandit scalp' in inventory (or picking one on a corpse for the first time after Bran joined)?

OK, stuff to check for, to make sure thigs are ok:

first, do

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#DYQJournalTalk","GLOBAL")

and it should return a value of 1

That means the initial dialog meeting Dynaheir played. It should have been assigned .tra reference @223 instead of @225, so find the following:

bg1npc\phase2\dlg\x#dynaquest.d lines 20, 21, and 22, and change them from 225 to 223

/* First Meet Dynaheir - is in the party, whether or not party has already met Drizzt */
CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-4 ~%BGT_VAR% Global("X#DYQJournalTalk","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN ~%DYNAHEIR_JOINED%~ X#DYQ01
@1 DO ~SetGlobal("X#DYQJournalTalk","GLOBAL",2)~
END
++ @2 DO ~AddJournalEntry(@223,QUEST)~ EXIT
++ @3 DO ~AddJournalEntry(@223,QUEST)~ EXIT
++ @4 DO ~AddJournalEntry(@223,QUEST)~ EXIT

that should fix the "early meeting" journal. Then, you can check to make sure Drizzt actually likes you enough later on:

the I_C_T is named X#DynaheirQuestAvailable, so check for its existence - it should have a value of one. Unfortunately, the Journal entry that is added to confirm that you acrually got the correct pathway is the journal entry you already have, talking about meeting Drizzt. You should also be able to check by doing CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#DynaJournal","GLOBAL") and that should have been ticked over to 1 if Drizzt really was ok.

The cheat for Drizzt-haters to still get him after disrespecting him is to SetGlobal("X#DynaJournal","GLOBAL",1). If you kill Drizzt, it gets more complicated.

This code starts Drizzt off meeting the party again:

/* Drizzt finds the party and initiates Dynaheir's Quest */
IF %BGT_VAR%
Global("X#DynaJournal","GLOBAL",1)
Global("X#DQDrizztSpawn","GLOBAL",0)
!Dead("drizzt")
!AreaCheck("%FishermansLake%")
OR(8)
AreaCheck("%RedCanyons%")
AreaCheck("%SouthBeregostRoad%")
AreaCheck("%ArchaeologicalSite%")
AreaCheck("%NorthNashkelRoad%")
AreaCheck("%BearRiver%")
AreaCheck("%XvartVillage%")
AreaCheck("%DryadFalls%")
AreaCheck("%FireLeafForest%")
InParty(Myself)
!StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
InMyArea(Player1)
!StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
CombatCounter(0)
!See([ENEMY])
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("X#DQDrizztSpawn","GLOBAL",1)
SetGlobal("X#DynaJournal","GLOBAL",2)
END

So, if Drizzt got killed, he won't show up - check to make sure SPRITE_IS_DEAD for Drizzt is not set somehow. Also check both the X#DynaJournal and X#DQDrizztSpawn variables using that GetGlobal above.

Shortcut - set X#DynaJournal to 1, make sure Drizzt doesn't have a SPRITE_IS_DEAD entry using NI, and make sure Dynaheir is in the party and ok and PC is in the party and ok in one of the areas listed above.

Found the Branwen Scalp thing, too - you were right, Scalner.

/* Activate: Got Scalp? */
IF %BGT_VAR%
PartyHasItem("%tutu_var%MISC86")
Global("P#BranwenScalp","LOCALS",0)
InParty(Myself)
InMyArea(Player1)
CombatCounter(0)
!See([ENEMY])
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("P#BranwenScalp","LOCALS",1)
END

/* Initiate: Got Scalp? */
IF %BGT_VAR%
Global("P#BranwenScalp","LOCALS",1)
InParty(Myself)
InMyArea(Player1)
CombatCounter(0)
!See([ENEMY])
THEN
RESPONSE #100
PlaySong(0)
PlaySound("branw99")
StartDialogueNoSet(Player1)
END

I think we can put an area check on this, to make sure it doesn't trigger immediately on her joining the party. Or at least a delay. The text is

@57   = ~Ah, there's nothing like the smell of fresh blood to bring a tingle to the nose and a smile to the face. Ugh, this one could have stood to have washed his hair once a tenday.~

Probably simplest to leave this off of triggering immediately by using !AreaCheck("%NashkelCarnival%")

but that means that the trigger might not be as obviously tied to getting a fresh scalp (how come I never noticed my Paladin was collecting these things? Painbearers aren't supposed to do that, are they?). We may need to add a short phrase, like:

@57   = ~Ah, there's nothing like the smell of fresh blood to bring a tingle to the nose and a smile to the face. Scalps make good trophies. Ugh, this one could have stood to have washed his hair once a tenday.~

We will need to recheck this before the next version. The quick fix for this one is drop any scalps you have before getting Branwen, then pick them up after she has joined. We will set something up so this isn't a problem in the next version.

Archived