Imoen's arcane tendencies

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hey,

I'm just wondering if the whole thing with imoen taking tarnesh's book and wanting to be a mage is a standard bg1 thing, thing is i haven't played anything without tutu+bg1npc, so i don't know!

She just created 'imoen's artifact' and am just wondering if again this is a bg1npc thing or vanilla game stuff, very cool and fun eitherway!

Thanks

Also, i found it strange she said the mage's name as tarnesh, despite him never mentioning who he was...i think, and also it's spelt tarnish in certain places i think.

Guest Guest
Yep, that is BG1NPC - I'll take a look at the spelling. I think the author assumed that Tarnesh would sign his spellbook, but I will check the game files to see :)

Right, the spelling might be on an item, not sure, i've forgotten already despite having gone through this literally hours ago.

Also, the name thing: Right, that's understandable to refer to him AFTERWARDS, and i did indeed assume his name to be on it somewhere...it just seems odd to immediately talk using his name, it's the first sentence imoen speaks, something like:

'hey cool, it's tarnesh's spell book', i mean even if it said it on the cover, it seems more realistic to say something along the lines of:

'hey cool, the guy had a spell book', or 'this book...it's got a name on it...hmm, tarnesh, ugh, bad writing or what! Looks interesting...'

Obviously those are incredibly bare bones lines to say the least, but this seems to be the way imoen is treated by you guys thus far, very jolly and stuff, so there's no need to take away from the 'how' she's saying things, just the 'what' she's saying part, in this case.

You may want to look at spelling/grammar/typos elsewhere, i believe you'll find some mistakes (i think maybe just punctuation marks, like a full stop missing) within jaheira first 5 or so dialogues, and i'm not certain of this last one, but i think i came across instance(s) of kivan's shilmista being spelt shilmistRa or something...

I realise there's a lot of dialogue in this thing, so i doubt you can proof read it all, but the tarnesh thing is a definite.

Knowing a person's name without an introduction is a game's convention. When Tarnesh speaks to you, his conversation has his name tag.

And, please, report all the grammar glitches you encounter! Believe it or not, but the project was proof-read and edited in its entirety at least 4 times at least on my memory, by different folks, but errors still crop up (or were introduced by mass replacements :) )

Guest Guest
Knowing a person's name without an introduction is a game's convention. When Tarnesh speaks to you, his conversation has his name tag.

I agree, i have seen this a few times, and while i don't wish to argue over a simple one liner here, this concept doesn't surely carry in every instance.

For a quick example, i think...that paladin bjornin who is recovering from injury in the jovial juggler - he says your name i believe without you mentioning it...just as one concrete example, but that's fine, the context of the situatuion is a fairly relaxed dialogue and you can easily imagine you introducing yourself etc without explicit dialogue to back it up in game. There are many other reasons for where this name thing works, that's what i would think of as the convention.

But, why would tarnesh, and indeed he doesn't, go up to you, ask who you are and then say, "oh by the way, i'm Tarnesh, now die!"

I think...well, looking at what i've written doesn't actually make it sound so bad :)

It's just like...many other villains from books. videos etc i guess - the bloated ego!....but i won't erase what i've written, it just seemed odd when i came across the dialogue - both times playing the game, something about it...

Anyways, no big deal, am enjoying the mod a lot!

Rechecked - this must have been picked up already, because a search for shilmistra resulted in no hits... looking for Tarnish/esh and adjusting appropriately.

.cre _TARNES.cre, dv Tarnesh...

Repairing the following entries:

Searching for: tarnish

tra\english\bg1npc_tmp.tra(59): @17 = ~Imoen had created *this* by reading from Tarnish's Spellbook.~

tra\english\bg1npc_tmp.tra(60): @18 = ~Imoen had created *this* by reading from Tarnish's Spellbook. She is quite proud of her accomplishement, even if nobody is quite sure what exactly it can do.~

tra\spanish\bg1npc_tmp.tra(84): @17 = ~Imoen ha creado *esto* tras leer el libro de hechizos de Tarnish.~

tra\spanish\bg1npc_tmp.tra(85): @18 = ~Imoen ha creado *esto* tras leer el libro de hechizos de Tarnish. Está muy orgullosa de su creación, aunque nadie sabe qué hace.~

Found 8 occurrence(s) in 4 file(s)

Repairing the following entries:

tra\english\bg1npc_tmp.tra(60): @18 = ~Imoen had created *this* by reading from Tarnish's Spellbook. She is quite proud of her accomplishement, even if nobody is quite sure what exactly it can do.~

Does that include fixing the typo?

Bleh!!!

On it...

@18 = ~Imoen had created *this* by reading from Tarnesh's Spellbook. She is quite proud of her accomplishment, even if nobody is quite sure what exactly it can do.~

Doggone. There have been literally dozens of proofreaders, and hundreds of folks reporting stuff, and yet...

Archived