Invisible cranium rats

Guest Vagrant

Guest Vagrant

Not sure if this is caused by the widescreen or what, but figured I'd post it here. When I try to enter the building directly south of Sharegrave in Ragpicker's Sq., the one with the cranium rats, one of several things happens:

1) The rats are invisible, just denoted by red circles and text, when I attack one, game freezes.

2) Get a crash with the following message: Assertion failed: F:\TORMENT\Source\chitin\ChVidPal.cpp at line number 1124

3) Reverting to an older save and going back to the area, no crash or freeze but rats are still invisible.

My guess is this isn't related to the widescreen but I didn't know where else to post.

P.S.- Amazing work guys! Thanks for giving me the motivation to rediscover this work of art!

Guest Vagrant
Yeah, I think it'll work the same way even without. Try cleaning your CDs or something.

No, I don't think it can be that, since at this point I'm operating off of a full install and an ISO image. I tried scouring the web and I found several mentions of this, mainly in foreign languages, and from the Russian which I could read, the only suggestion other than patching the game (which I had done,) was hex-editing (which I don't know how to do). However that confirms it isn't the mod.

Also, update on this bug; it seems to be peculiar to cranium rats, and occurred again w\ the Trash Warrens portal and it's strange that it didn't crash on loading the area but particularly when the rats were supposed to come on screen. I manage to circumvent this by trying enough times and switching compatibility modes until the game decides to make them invisible but not crash, so it's not completely game breaking but very close to. Also, one of the times it crashed, if my eyes didn't fool me, it loaded the area for a split second and the rats were there, so I don't know what to make of that.

Anyhow, to reiterate, I believe with increasing conviction this has nothing to do with the mod but I didn't know where else to ask so if anyone has ideas, let me know please.

Guest Vagrant

Ok, update! I downloaded a torrent of the 2 CD version, and everything is fine now. I don't know if this is a 2 vs 4 cd issue or just that my previous install was corrupted somehow but whatever it was, it's gone. Yay, and thanks again folks.

Archived