Game Crash...

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Reports of crashes from death animations trickle in now and then, and always from tanar'ri, death knights, or wyverns (all of them BG1 style five-orientation animations). We can try distributing copies of these animations with the Fixpack, but I don't know if it'll actually help or not - it's a crash I've never had.

I've had two or three experiences with tanar'ri crashes on my current playthrough.

These are the last of the problems I encountered while play BG2 SOA with the Version 6 Fix Pack installed before I went onto TOB.

When ever 'Anomen' summons a 'Deva', the summoned Deva automatically suffers damage I think between 1-10 hit-points of damage. Is this supposed to happen? Also due to the Deva sustaining damage, if you load your game back with the Deva has already been summoned (Anomen's Deva). The Deva will sustain damage between that interval and also might cause the Deva to go hostile.

Some items of course have requirements or effects that aren't even stated by description. ('Harper Pin' I believe has a certain requirement for dexterity to be able to use.) This isn’t really important at all though; just stating that there are still some items that aren’t displaying by description what they require to use or by what effects they produce.

Again, I’m still having a game crash when fighting that demon type of creature (Nabassu). This time it was when I fought that type of creature in ‘Suldanessellar’. When that creature finally died without it crashing my game, its body actually disappeared through the platform ground. I think also, if you kill that creature and while its death animation is being displayed, if you continue to move over where its corpse is supposed to drop to, this causes the game to crash also. (Random Crash)

I also think it crashes if it dies by the platform railing. (I had to find a wide open space for it’s corpse to lay dead. But this was where when its corpse disappeared through the platform ground. (Numerous Crashes)

Also while I was in Suldanessellar, when ever I generally fought a ‘Rajah’, multiple of them in a group would say by battle text:-

“Perhaps another time, Haer’Dalis. Your world seems rather strange to me… I’ll have to think it over.”

They would say that numerous times while fighting me until they died. (Of course they did fight me as normal, by using their skills, magic e.g.)

Backtrack: Nalia’s complete Quest(s).

First I must state I did not take Nalia with me into the De'Arnise Hold. (First part of Nalia’s Quest).

During this quest when you get to the room with the Golem in it for the final part of the Fail of Ages for SOA. (Golem type depends on what level you are on I have heard).

Just curious, is it possible to fight an Adamantine Golem in here? Like what level does the game require you to be on if so, in order to fight this kind of golem. One of my characters was on level 23 or 24, my main character level 19 or 20. (I only could fight up to Iron Golem level where as in other areas where the type of golem you face depends of what level you are. I was fighting Adamantine Golems).

Mainly I noticed if you fight one of these Golems at a time, the others don’t attack you necessarily. (Can’t this be changed so they fight you all at once for more of a challenge?)

I discovered, if you do this quest like at Act 6 of SOA and of course by then have saved Imoen and even have her in your party. If you talk to ‘Captain Arat’, there is still the option of asking him if he knows of any information about saving Imoen from the ‘Cowled Wizards’. I’m not sure if you can ask other people the same quests again like this, even though you have saved Imoen and even have her in your party.

After when I cleared out the stronghold and talked to Nalia about what happened. (I must admit I forced her second quest to start by using the CULA console).

Nalia's Father's Funeral Quest

When I talked to all the people and finally the queen multiple times at the funeral, Nalia said this bit of text; “Rather an amusing bit of restraint on your part, and I appreciate that. She’s decent enough, but very set in her ways and hard to deal with. Come, we must rescue my father.”

She said this just after I spoke to the Queen before Nalia told me about what she thought of ‘Isaea Roenall’ her former fiancé.

Again I discovered in 'Brynnlaw' in the prison room ('Galvena's Guildhall') there are doors which you can open but not close again. (Minor)

Firstly, thanks for all of the detailed reporting.

When ever 'Anomen' summons a 'Deva', the summoned Deva automatically suffers damage I think between 1-10 hit-points of damage. Is this supposed to happen? Also due to the Deva sustaining damage, if you load your game back with the Deva has already been summoned (Anomen's Deva). The Deva will sustain damage between that interval and also might cause the Deva to go hostile.
Huh uh. This one's actually our fault - there's a slightly updated Fixpack .tp2 sticked here in the forum, though if you'd like a couple files you can toss in the override folder instead, we can do that also.

Some items of course have requirements or effects that aren't even stated by description. ('Harper Pin' I believe has a certain requirement for dexterity to be able to use.) This isn’t really important at all though; just stating that there are still some items that aren’t displaying by description what they require to use or by what effects they produce.
Items that are "only usable by Cliff Beefpile" restrict themselves by requiring the user to match Cliff's statistics, class, and alignment rather than being only usable by Cliff; it's an engine limitation and there's not another (good) way to do it that also precludes Use Any Item.
Again, I’m still having a game crash when fighting that demon type of creature
Crashes are first priority: would you (or anyone else who's having this issue) be willing to email a couple of files to me? I'd like to see what you're working with.

Also while I was in Suldanessellar, when ever I generally fought a ‘Rajah’, multiple of them in a group would say by battle text:-

“Perhaps another time, Haer’Dalis. Your world seems rather strange to me… I’ll have to think it over.â€Â

That's new. I'll take a look.

I'm working from memory on the de'Arnise Golems, but I think they're not random spawns and you don't get an adamantine golem there. We could change their ai so that they all respond in unison, but it's not really fixpack material - Bioware deliberately linked them to specific containers, and changing that wouldn't be a fix :D

I discovered, if you do this quest like at Act 6 of SOA and of course by then have saved Imoen and even have her in your party. If you talk to ‘Captain Arat’, there is still the option of asking him if he knows of any information about saving Imoen from the ‘Cowled Wizards’. I’m not sure if you can ask other people the same quests again like this, even though you have saved Imoen and even have her in your party.
We'll probably have to discuss this one first, but yeah, that's no good.

I'm not following you at Lord de'Arnise's funeral. By "queen" do you mean Lady Tandolin of Ulm? And she's spouting some line that properly belongs to Nalia's aunt?

Again I discovered in 'Brynnlaw' in the prison room ('Galvena's Guildhall') there are doors which you can open but not close again. (Minor)
Sloppy looking, but not a bug - you weren't "intended" to goof around too much in the brothel.
Guest Guest
Crashes are first priority: would you (or anyone else who's having this issue) be willing to email a couple of files to me? I'd like to see what you're working with.

Yeah I can do that for you, fire away! lol

I'm not following you at Lord de'Arnise's funeral. By "queen" do you mean Lady Tandolin of Ulm? And she's spouting some line that properly belongs to Nalia's aunt?

Well unfortunately I can't trace back who exactly it was, but I do know that there was only one noble type woman present there during Nalia's Father's Funeral Quest.

And yeah, just as I said before about how I talked to all the people multiple times there and then lastly 'Isaea Roenall' and then straight after him that 'noble' woman again.

That's when this bit of conversation sprung into action;

“Rather an amusing bit of restraint on your part, and I appreciate that. She’s decent enough, but very set in her ways and hard to deal with. Come, we must rescue my father.”

Before Nalia told me about what she thought of ‘Isaea Roenall’ her former fiancé.

I have a question concerning the spell 'Free Action' or 'Ring of Free Action'. Shouldn't the 'Improved Haste' effect be cancelled out as well?

Second, when using the CLUA Console, if for instance if you have a time based quest that will activate in time. (Note: Note game time).

For instance the quest, 'Terminsel the Harper'. I used the CLUA Console to force this quest to occur. After a long time during the game, 'Terminsel' appeared again. Is this supposed to happen or is the game supposed to record the fact that you have already been contacted by 'Terminsel'?

Thirdly, with the spells 'Bigby's Clenched Fist' and 'Earthquake'. I was wondering, what kind of damage do these do? Because I noticed that the 'Cloak of Mirroring' doesn't seem to block this kind of damage.

Lastly with the spell 'Bolt of Glory', I know this spell doesn't stat by description but is this spell supposed to be magic resisted?

During the siege of Saradush. Go to northern end of the battlement where Errard is (the mage in Mateo's quest). You will notice that the militia is shooting arrows at some unseen Fire Giant. The Fire Giant is located behind the tower and is NOT selectable as a target. However, equip your men with missile weapons and set to aggressive scripts and they will start shooting at the Fire Giant.

I noticed if you use the battle skill 'Smite', this seems to glitch the 'Fire Giant' from appearing again.

Let's start with the Death Knights, then, they're simplest. Check in the folders temp, cache, and override (in that order) for mdkng1.bam (after sorting by file type and alphabetically so you don't drive yourself mad). If you find one, you can email it to me at my screen name here courtesy of yahoo.com and I'll see if the game isn't properly decompressing the animation. If it doesn't turn up, I suppose we'll have to try something else.

Free Action should indeed prevent Improved Haste, but the Whirlwind HLA (and a few other things) also display "Improved Haste" in the character record, and this is not prevented.

Terminsel is a big enough mess without console interference - I can't give you an answer offhand.

The Cloak of Mirroring blocks spells by spell secondary type, rather than whether or not they deal damage - the spells you're referring to are classed as "Battleground".

Bolt of Glory should deal its damage regardless of magic resistance, which impedes only the graphics display. It'll be consistently irresistible in the next Fixpack, though.

I imagine the Fire Giant / Smite oddness is just pushing the offscreen enemy out of range. We may look into making the giant invisible and immovable in the next version.

Guest Guest
Let's start with the Death Knights, then, they're simplest. Check in the folders temp, cache, and override (in that order) for mdkng1.bam (after sorting by file type and alphabetically so you don't drive yourself mad). If you find one, you can email it to me at my screen name here courtesy of yahoo.com and I'll see if the game isn't properly decompressing the animation. If it doesn't turn up, I suppose we'll have to try something else.

I checked all those areas you stated as well as my whole computer for good measure but that file is no where to be found. Also, I’m now running Fixpack 6.2 now (The one with that annoying 'Deva' error fix).

“Perhaps another time, Haer’Dalis. Your world seems rather strange to me… I’ll have to think it over.”

For this I did complete the quest, ‘Rescue Haer'Dalis from the Planar Prison' with out resorting to using the CLUA Console to activate this quest in the first place. I'm not sure if that quote was said or meant to be said around this time during this quest.

Guest Zakaidek

Oddly enough, I have version 6 of the fixpack installed and was having problems with the demon animation. I was doing the planar sphere quest and during the part where you are supposed to kill a demon for its heart, I kept having crashes upon the demons death. Then, on my 4th or 5th kill it did not crash for some reason. Minsc completed the final kill with flail of the ages if that is any help.

No, what happened there, is that it died off-screen.

Death anim crashes are common in BG1, just fight it off-screen. Set to an aggressive script, and pause if you need to cast a spell or anything.

Icen

Guest Guest

I have just completed the main story line of TOB excluding 'Watcher's Keep' bonus dungeon.

Here is my list of bugs/ problems e.g. I have encountered starting off from when I last reported about being in Saradush.

When you meet the phantom of Gorian at the 'Forest of Mir' and after when the phantom is dead, if you are in romance with anyone I guess and if your main character is invisible (spell effect). Their speech won't trigger until your character comes out of that effect. Can't this be handled better?

When you enter the 'Siege Camp' having done all the prerequisites to the story line of course. When you cross the bridge and are discovered and Yaga-Shura's army, before and after he approaches. His army appears from out of no where within a very WIDE radius depending on the position of your party. (Being scattered e.g.)

Can't the teleportation effect be used here along with other numerous situations where you encounter enemies just from out of no-where or thin air?

During the quest when you reach 'Sendai'. The drow you encounter there above the surface, are wearing elven type armour when makes sense, but some drow are using Adamantine drow arrows which doesn't make sense at all. Also, Adamantine checks are being applied as well as what the fix pack did for in SOA, when you reach the surface from the 'Underdark'. You can drop the items quickly on the ground and pick them back up again to skip the adamantine check. (This also applies to being in the Pocket Dimension e.g.)

Within 'Sendai's Lair', most of the drow you encounter there are still wearing Elven type armour; shouldn't they be wearing drow armour instead? Also if you take the 'Derro Slaves' path through sendai's lair. Some enemies are using drow halberds, is this right? Finally, some of the priestesses don't armour at all.

When you have access to do the third challenge in the 'Pocket Dimension'. The whole map is revealed automatically. Is this supposed to happen?

Item: Necklace of Missiles. Is this supposed to use a 'Fireball' animation effect?

Item: Boots of Lightning Speed.

Item: Boots of Phasing.

Are these going to be implicated within the game with the fix pack? (I heard they were removed at one stage from being too bugy e.g.)

I also heard 'Imoen' is supposed to learn special added abilities like your main character get's in SOA at the start for TOB. (Develop) I also heard your main character is supposed to learn special added abilities in TOB for doing each trial in the 'Pocket Dimension'. (I know there's a mod that implements this though).

I noticed the Psion's Blade +5 doesn't seem to protect against 'Intelligence Drain' and maybe (not confirmed) but the Mind Flayer's special devour ability. (Brain)

Also I noticed, just before you go to take on 'Balthazar' to gain entrance to his domain. If you take out all the monks and acquire the 'Monetary Gate Key' and if you enter the 'Smuggler's Cave' then, Saemon Havarian appears for a split second before disappearing along with the corpses that appear. Can't this be handled better?

Game crash AGAIN!!!

This time it happens at the final battle itself, which can manifest almost always. (If you kill that enemy type). Again from that 'Balor' demon type of enemy from dying just on the ground (animation) and not JUST by the edge of the balcony e.g. (She summons them!!!)

Corrected Demon Animations - Fixpack

Does this in the fixpack impact on the problem I am having with that 'Balor' type of demon death animation crash I am having?

Archived