Doing a test run with SCSII v7

My suggestion: slightly reduce the amount of protection spells that are precast so that the opponent always remains vulnerable to at least one element. For example, if the mage precasts Protection From Fire, Protection from Magical Damage and Protection from Cold then have him at least remain vulnerable to Electricity.

That actually looks to be the current behaviour - leave one element open - if I'm reading David's code right. There could be another part of their mind that notices the vulnerability and fixes it, of course :cool: (plus natural immunities)

Thanks for the general nice comments, and also the specific feedback.

One quick question before I reply to yours: did the "Improved Abazigal's Lair" work out okay for you? I've not yet had any other reports of someone trying it.

I liked it. :cool:

The beefed up Lizardmen and their Shamans were quite challenging as was the fiendish ambush on the way back. The revised orbs/beholders were fun as well, especially the inclusion of Death Tyrants. The yellow dragon seemed a bit tougher than the other ones, but that might have been due to my party's lack of rest. The one thing I didn't understand was the two blue dragons that spawned outside Abazigal's lair and said something about protecting their master after I had already killed him.

P.S.

I just remembered a small detail with the Orc horde in Watcher's Keep - their spawning routine caused some serious lag on my computer making the game nearly unplayable. You might want to take a look at that area and possibly give those Orcs some dedicated (smaller) scripts or reduce their spawning rate.

Another small thing that slightly irked me was that every single Lich is now a level 35 character. In the unmodded game, generic Liches were level 20 at most, while a few specifically powerful ones (Shangalar, Kangaxx, Vongoethe) had somewhat higher levels. Since level 35 implicates near goodhood status, it would be more reasonable to keep the generic Liches at levels 20-25 and limit the higher levels to the unique ones. The main reason I'm mentioning this is that it's now impossible to use Turn Undead on Liches which is contraty to PnP rules.
I partially agree. I would prefer too common liches to be 25th level casters, but I prefer them to be immune to Turn Undead (it's quite silly to easily turn them imo, but it's probably a matter of tastes).
but I prefer them to be immune to Turn Undead (it's quite silly to easily turn them imo, but it's probably a matter of tastes).

I disagree. In unmodded BG2, you need to be a level 22 Cleric in order to turn (not destroy, just turn) a level 20 Lich (i.e. LICHEL01.CRE). That's not really a strech for a Cleric at Epic levels IMHO. On the other hand, you get the ability to destroy (chunk) the same level 20 Lich once the Cleric reaches level 27.

The main problem is that all generic Liches (i.e. LICH01.CRE) are defined as measly level 11 Conjurers in the unmodded game which means that even a level 18 cleric can destroy them.

The one thing I didn't understand was the two blue dragons that spawned outside Abazigal's lair and said something about protecting their master after I had already killed him.

That's definitely something badly wrong.

- blue rather than black?

- any more dragons after you killed them?

- did you have to go back to Amkethran half way through the lair? (The monk should have failed to give you the rope.)

That's definitely something badly wrong.

- blue rather than black?

Yes, dark-bluish IIRC, but then again I've played through that portion of the game two weeks ago so my memory might be a bit hazy.

- any more dragons after you killed them?

No, though I never returned to that area again after killing Abazigal.

- did you have to go back to Amkethran half way through the lair? (The monk should have failed to give you the rope.)

Nope, I rested a couple of times in my pocketplane but I didn't try to leave the lair by regular means until after Abazigal was slain. The monk did say something about not having the rope but I was still able to travel through the tunnels normally.

I disagree. In unmodded BG2, you need to be a level 22 Cleric in order to turn (not destroy, just turn) a level 20 Lich (i.e. LICHEL01.CRE). That's not really a strech for a Cleric at Epic levels IMHO. On the other hand, you get the ability to destroy (chunk) the same level 20 Lich once the Cleric reaches level 27.

The main problem is that all generic Liches (i.e. LICH01.CRE) are defined as measly level 11 Conjurers in the unmodded game which means that even a level 18 cleric can destroy them.

Well, I didn't know they were only lvl 11! :cool: Then I may agree with you, especially as long as unique liches ((Shangalar, Kangaxx, Vongoethe, ...) are of 25-30th level assuring they can't be turned.
[Nope, I rested a couple of times in my pocketplane but I didn't try to leave the lair by regular means until after Abazigal was slain. The monk did say something about not having the rope but I was still able to travel through the tunnels normally.

Okay, that makes sense... I'd assumed the game stops you travelling through the later tunnels unless you had the rope.

Basically, what's supposed to happen is: you have to go back to Amkethran to get the rope. The reason for that is to force you to re-enter the lair (and thereby go through one of the rather few areas in the vicinity big enough for a dragon battle), whereupon more dragons show up.

I don't suppose you've got a save from the general vicinity? (say: after the kuo-toa, before Abazigal)? If so, could you do me the favour of going back to Amkethran, talking to the innkeeper, getting some rope, and then coming back in?

I don't suppose you've got a save from the general vicinity? (say: after the kuo-toa, before Abazigal)? If so, could you do me the favour of going back to Amkethran, talking to the innkeeper, getting some rope, and then coming back in?

Sorry, but I deleted that entire install after finishing my game. :cool:

I still haven't played through Abazigal's lair in my current ToB run, so I can upgrade to v7 and poke around in there when I get that far (am currently in WK after having completed Marching Mountains). I'm not currently playing very fast though, so it might be a few days before I get that far, in case you don't wish to wait.

Archived