privileges issue in os x - am I being daft?

Guest caradoc

Guest caradoc

First, thanks to everyone who worked on this, and to the enormous number of knowledgeable people who put so much time into such a useful venture. Even an occasional lurker like me can see that the level of courtesy, helpfulness & intelligence on these forums are rare things to find.

Now, that said, I've got a problem. I used to play BG2 on the PC and have recently tried installing the OSX version on my somewhat-more-portable Mac (I know, I know) under Leopard. Weird thing is, when I try to run the installer for the fixpack I get this

The file “Setup-bg2fixpack.command†could not be executed because you do not have appropriate access privileges.

Now I've checked, and I seem to have full privileges on the installer, the BG2 files and folder, etc etc. No doubt the explanation is simple and I'm just missing something, but ... has anyone else had this issue? Help would be enormously appreciated -- I'd hate not to be able to take advantage of all this fantastic work. Cheers in advance.

The de-archiver you used didn't set the file to be executable. Do this:

1) Run Terminal. It's found in /Applications/Utilities .

2) Type in the Terminal window (without the double-quotes): "chmod +x "

3) Drag and drop the Setup-bg2fixpack.command into the Terminal window, and press Return.

You may also need to do this for Setup-bg2fixpack as well.

Guest caradoc
The de-archiver you used didn't set the file to be executable. Do this:

1) Run Terminal. It's found in /Applications/Utilities .

2) Type in the Terminal window (without the double-quotes): "chmod +x "

3) Drag and drop the Setup-bg2fixpack.command into the Terminal window, and press Return.

You may also need to do this for Setup-bg2fixpack as well.

Thank you so much -- that works perfectly. Brilliant!

Archived