Do the tra files ever change much

Bursk

Hello!

I decided to alter p#centeo.tra so that the dialogue was more to my liking, and I now find myself wondering if I should make a note of these changes in a text file, so that I can copy and paste them into future releases of BG1 NPCs, or if I could just copy and paste the modified tra file itself. If the tra file in question isn't likely to get updated, I'll do the latter.

There's a line in the original tra file that says:

Though I lusted for Jon, he cared little for me, for he had another to whom he was married, lady Tanova.

Is this Tanova woman actually called lady Tanova or Lady Tanova? Does anyone know?

By searching the forum I've discovered that some of the entries in p#centeo.tra relate to Xan, but there is no mention of Xan in the file. From just looking at a tra file, how on earth am I supposed to know who is speaking each line?

Also, is there any way of knowing what (if any) other characters will interject after a given line is said e.g. Xan says something from p#centeo.tra, and then Imoen replies with something from x#imoen.tra? Does this sort of thing happen, or would any Imoen lines related to the encounter be only in p#centeo.tra?

Editing dialogue without knowing how the system works is very difficult, but even if I see the dialogue in-game, I won't know whether a change in party members will result in something different being said. So for every line I want to change, I need to know all the possible responses to that line, so I can alter them as well if needs be.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Every .tra belongs to a .d (dialogue) file that contains the coding. Exception only in cases where in the tp2 it is specifically defined that a different names tra should be ised (by USING other.tra). There won't be any cross-over from one tra to another. Only cross-over is from the setup.tra, if no strings are provided they will be taken from there.

So, if you want to know who is saying what in "p#centeo.tra", compare the string numbers with what is coded in "p#centeo.d" (in phase2/dlg).

To your original question: Principally, BG1NPC project is closed content-wise. But there was a huge recode after we said that not long ago, so if you want to make sure, maybe it's a good idea to note your changes. I do not expect this specific file to change, but I wouldn't guarantee it, either.

Though I lusted for Jon, he cared little for me, for he had another to whom he was married, lady Tanova.Is this Tanova woman actually called lady Tanova or Lady Tanova? Does anyone know?
I don't know about her specifically, but if it's not capitalised there, it's a typo. It should either be "Lady Tanova" as her title or "the lady Tanova" as a more general description.

Archived