Fan made Patch

Guest Rax

Hey guys, I've come across an issue on my copies of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II which the official patches haven't fixed - I think it's a problem which applies only to people trying to run it on newer computers, and it's small but annoying: It doesn't play sounds properly. Basic sounds like opening doors or cabinets are only played perhaps 1/3rd of the time, and character sounds are usually not played at all, or only part of the complete sound is played (I've played through both BG I and BG II countless times over the last 5 years so I know pretty much every character sound to the letter). It's especially annoying in BG I when they use played sounds rather than text boxes for some of the more important cinematic speech (like Gorion's at the start), and I only get bits of this. Whilst I can turn subtitles on, it's a very inadequate solution since the voice acting in Baldur's Gate is so very good. I don't get this issue in Icewind Dale or Planescape Torment, so it seems specific to BG.

Firstly, has anyone else had this problem? Can anything be done about it? If not, would it be possible to fix with a fan-made patch? I'm not very tech-savvy, but I'm guessing it's a compatibility issue between the sound files and modern drivers (I'm using Windows XP Professional). If this is the case, presumably it would be possible to replace them with new ones in a different format?

Cheers.

Archived