I hate Ployer's friends

Heh, I think I'll rename this thread to "Ihtafeer and the Rakshasa troupe annihilate me". It's a dejá vu effect: a confined space, three powerful spellcasters and the unavoidable fate. Death.

Do you know what's the level of spell immunity of Rakshasas? Is it really level 8? I think I'll cheat an Abi-Dalzim HW scroll to test it. I don't remember having a tough time against Rakshasas before, but with scsII it's not very pleasant when three rakshasas toss one skull trap each.

EDIT: In case you are shouting at me "Bloody noob! Summon skeleton warriors!", my sorceress is still 3 levels off. Maybe I'll have to resort to that wonderful Idiazabal Cheese. Mmmmmm.

Oh! And one more thing. The documentation states that Faldorn is a totemic druid. I don't remember what NearInfinity said, but she's certainly not a totemic druid. She casts Improved Invisibility, Chromatic Orb and some more stuff I don't remember, making her more like an Avenger Druid.

BTW: fighting faldorn showed how stupid I was. I had Jaheira first fight her like a druid, resulting in "Marabunta" (the level 7 insect plague) plus a Fire Elemental thrashing me and my Nymph badly. Solution? Take the club in the ground and whack the druid. This gives Jaheira like 75-80% of disrupting Faldorn's II and eventually winning the fight.

Oh! And one more thing. The documentation states that Faldorn is a totemic druid. I don't remember what NearInfinity said, but she's certainly not a totemic druid. She casts Improved Invisibility, Chromatic Orb and some more stuff I don't remember, making her more like an Avenger Druid.

Hidden content shows that Faldorn got bitten by a radioactive spider, suppressing her totemic powers and making her appear to be an avenger.

Either that, or I got the druid kits mixed up. You decide.

Hidden content shows that Faldorn got bitten by a radioactive spider, suppressing her totemic powers and making her appear to be an avenger.

Either that, or I got the druid kits mixed up. You decide.

Thanks for the background info! I've already updated my local copy of the readme. She can't still climb walls, can she?

Heh, I think I'll rename this thread to "Ihtafeer and the Rakshasa troupe annihilate me". It's a dejá vu effect: a confined space, three powerful spellcasters and the unavoidable fate. Death.

Do you know what's the level of spell immunity of Rakshasas? Is it really level 8? I think I'll cheat an Abi-Dalzim HW scroll to test it. I don't remember having a tough time against Rakshasas before, but with scsII it's not very pleasant when three rakshasas toss one skull trap each.

[...]

Rakshasas are immune to all spell levels up to (and including) level 7... so level 8 spells should work just fine.

... but I think you should wait a bit with that battle if it's too difficult.

Rakshasas are immune to all spell levels up to (and including) level 7... so level 8 spells should work just fine.

... but I think you should wait a bit with that battle if it's too difficult.

Ah, OK. Then (if I don't resort for cheese), I'll be back when I can summon skeleton warriors and drop a couple of them after casting GoI or something that will avoid their bloody skull traps. It may also happen that when I'm back I'll be able to cast ADHW and send those filthy Rakshasas to their plane. I just fear Suldanessalar, with many Rakshasas throwing tons of skull traps at once.

And yes, capping skull trap at 12d6 (as stated by the readme) does make the game easier. I've seen trigger-> 3x skull traps a few times already.

PS: Mazzy has great saving throws! She just needs a girdle of strength to be awesome. Oh, and "a bigger sword" ;-)

Guest AbraM

I don't understand why you have such high expectations regarding the skeleton warriors. Although I didn't try this tactics against Rakshasas, I can almost see through the eyes of imagination that death spell coming...

My advice: Enter the building with one tank-type character (preferably a mage with PfMW, PfME, and SI:Abjuration). Keep summoning some creatures so Rakshasas have something to waste their spells on, and generally try to not die. When they run out of better spells (especially protections) then bring on your fighters and attack. With some luck you should be able to win without losing too many NPCs.

BTW, Rakshasas must be the hardest opponents from all 2nd chapter quests. I mean, Planar Prison was tough, but this...

Guest Guest
I don't understand why you have such high expectations regarding the skeleton warriors. Although I didn't try this tactics against Rakshasas, I can almost see through the eyes of imagination that death spell coming...

Do Rakshasas have the "Death spell" memorised? I haven't checked. In any case, skeleton warriors have that wonderful 95% magic resistance plus are inmune to normal weapons which... include the longswords wielded by rakshasas!

My advice: Enter the building with one tank-type character (preferably a mage with PfMW, PfME, and SI:Abjuration). Keep summoning some creatures so Rakshasas have something to waste their spells on, and generally try to not die. When they run out of better spells (especially protections) then bring on your fighters and attack. With some luck you should be able to win without losing too many NPCs.

BTW, Rakshasas must be the hardest opponents from all 2nd chapter quests. I mean, Planar Prison was tough, but this...

Thanks for your suggestions, AbraM. As stated above, I think I can safely exchange PfMW for PfNM which, additionaly, lasts more than 24 seconds. I didn't know that PfME protected against skull trap, I'll have to check this. And finally, yeah, DavidW's Rakshasa scripts really give me a hard time. And I don't think I'll enter either the Planar Prison or (shrugh) the Planar Sphere (my stronghold!) before chapter 6. I can only imagine what kind of havok will Tolgerias and his friend release on my party, and that's if I ever manage to kill the Fiends.

Guest AbraM

That 95% magic resistance won't help them from being annihilated by a death spell, but you're right - Rakshasas may not have this spell memorised. To be honest I'm not even sure if they are able to cast 7th level spells. So, skeleton warriors may be a good choice. But this doesn't change the fact that you still must somehow survive the fight, and since Rakshasas use a lot of area effect spells...

PS: I don't know why but I was sure Rakshasas were using magical weapons. Thanks for pointing this out.

PS 2: Tolgerias wasn't that bad actually. At least he is not immune to all your spells.

Archived